Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stand for bike rebuild, recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Stand for bike rebuild, recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm looking around for a reasonably priced stand for a (hopeful) rebuild project. The bike will end up being on the stand for quite some time whilst I slowly fanny around with it.

I've seen a Sealey MC4500
https://www.uktoolbox.com/products/sealey-tools-motorcycle-and-quad-scissor-lift-500kg-capacity-hydraulic.html

Or a Sealey MCL500
https://www.uktoolbox.com/products/sealey-tools-single-post-motorcycle-lift-450kg-capacity.html

Any benefit/downside to either choice for long term use?
Or any other suggestions at a similar price point?

SpeedyCBR1100
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those stands are fine if your bike isn't faired. I've never used one so can't comment on how good they are. I did, however, have a Blackbird up on my Abba skylift for a year and a half. I could move the whole thing round my garage fairly easily and I could, just as easily, have the bike in the horizontal position and move it to a "nose up" or "nose down" position to make it easier to work on different parts of the bike. Hope that helps.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the two most important questions to ensure you get exactly what you need, and it will work, is:

1) What's the bike?

2) How much of a rebuild is a rebuild?

Arrow How far in stripping down are you likely to go?
Arrow Are you going to be doing it all in one go (stripping) or rebuild and replace and move on?

As a general rule of thumb -- and I say this loosely -- from watching DelBoy I'd say you'd need a table and various methods of jiggery depending on what you're up to at the time.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a '76 Suzuki GT500, I'm planning to strip to a bare frame and blast/rebuild. (Assuming the frame isn't rotten), going to happen over many, many (many) months.
Hopefully.the teardown itself won't take _too_ long, but the rebuild certainly will.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

As a general rule of thumb -- and I say this loosely -- from watching DelBoy I'd say you'd need a table and various methods of jiggery depending on what you're up to at the time.

is that the DelBoy whos having a lovers spat with Matt from the workshop?
if so the bloke does seem to give out some iffy advice Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a proper table lift. Reasoning being you are planning to go long haul on this, a table lift gives you a bit more of a work surface that you can place things down on and return to later without them having been moved about/filed/etc.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
NJD wrote:

is that the DelBoy whos having a lovers spat with Matt from the workshop?
if so the bloke does seem to give out some iffy advice Shocked
I've never yet got all the way to the end of a video by the bloke who moans about Delboy in numerous youtube posts. He never seems to get to the point before I get bored with him muttering about the wrongness of it all, sighing a lot and searching for a better pen for his whiteboard. I'm prepared to believe he may have a point, but he needs to state it at the beginning before I give up and go and watch Farmer Michael instead.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I'd buy a proper table lift.

Indeed.

At your higher price point (£302) you could get a Sealey MCW360 from here, but I've never used that company before so shop around etc.

You do, however, loose a lot of functionality that a "better / more commonly thought of" table would have: ability to raise and lower, harder to load (pushing up at height instead of level with floor then raising table), no front wheel clamp, bit much for what it is cost wise, space etc.

Struggling to find a table for around the £300 mark other than that, to be honest.

~

The MCL500 looks like a compromise between being budget friendly and a full blown table, but does it do all you want?

If it does then ask yourself if its worth the £115 extra over an MC4500 as, essentially, its just an upgraded version of that with more functions.

And back to square one. Laughing

Upgrade the budget and get a full sized better table if you can, and if you can't decide which one looks like it would be most practical and offer you long term use. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1