Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scottish Nationalism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:46 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No post exits.

Well phuque me... the not post exits virus is spreading.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:53 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A famous story of Fifeshire hospitality.

A man goes around to vist his friend one evening.

His friend opens the door and says,

"You'll have had yer tea then."

(Fifers are notoriously tight. The Fifer was alerting his friend to the fact that there will be minimal hospitality shown to him.)

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yes it does.....

"On the street in Orkney people come up and say to me when are we going to pay back the dowry, when are we going back to Norway,

So there, everyone in Orkney wants to leave jockland and become Norwegian.

Social media rules. They'll probably chuck you in Scarpa Flow as an undesirable.

Reminds me of something I heard back in the eighties from someone I knew who was involved in running the ITV Telethon. They received a phone call after the telethon from someone in Orkney who was wanting cash. The person was very rude and pushy demanding money, they made a big deal of how generous Orkney people were and didn't want to listen when it was explained to them there was an application process for funds. My associate went and looked up the stats for donations from Orkney, and lo and behold Orkadians gave f all.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Yes it does.....

"On the street in Orkney people come up and say to me when are we going to pay back the dowry, when are we going back to Norway,

So there, everyone in Orkney wants to leave jockland and become Norwegian.

Social media rules. They'll probably chuck you in Scarpa Flow as an undesirable.

Reminds me of something I heard back in the eighties from someone I knew who was involved in running the ITV Telethon. They received a phone call after the telethon from someone in Orkney who was wanting cash. The person was very rude and pushy demanding money, they made a big deal of how generous Orkney people were and didn't want to listen when it was explained to them there was an application process for funds. My associate went and looked up the stats for donations from Orkney, and lo and behold Orkadians gave f all.

Really now? One example of extremely iffy anecdotal 'evidence' and you're apply the broadest brush in your extremely broad collection to an entire island population?

Orcadians have a very good record of charitable donations and I'm speaking from personal experience here. I've been involved in a few fundraising activities since I've been here and have always been pleasantly surprised at the willingness to help out. That goes to national campaigns as well as local ones, and it's not just individuals either. Businesses here have a generous track record.

I've heard that bald, pink headed, bearded, English Aberdonian incomers have a track record of inconsiderate parking and petty vindictiveness. Must be all of them then Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A famous story of Fifeshire hospitality.

A man goes around to vist his friend one evening.

His friend opens the door and says,

"You'll have had yer tea then."

(Fifers are notoriously tight. The Fifer was alerting his friend to the fact that there will be minimal hospitality shown to him.)

As the saying goes, "Ye'll need a lang spoon tae sup wi' a Fifer" Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Really now? One example of extremely iffy anecdotal 'evidence' and you're apply the broadest brush in your extremely broad collection to an entire island population?

Orcadians have a very good record of charitable donations and I'm speaking from personal experience here. I've been involved in a few fundraising activities since I've been here and have always been pleasantly surprised at the willingness to help out. That goes to national campaigns as well as local ones, and it's not just individuals either. Businesses here have a generous track record.

I've heard that bald, pink headed, bearded, English Aberdonian incomers have a track record of inconsiderate parking and petty vindictiveness. Must be all of them then Laughing

Sorry im not the BBC. My source was a primary source however and if you're going to exclude any comments made in an internet forum on the grounds people contributing are speaking anecdotally and are subjective then you maybe need to trot on and find something else to devote time to.

This is meant to be light hearted chat. Everywhere has its local foibles and conceits and the northern isles are no exception. If you can't accept this then that's your problem, your pettyness.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:02 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am surprised anyone was sober enough to get to the meeting.

Kirkwall is the only place I've ever had to provide ID, my name and address and sign the poisons register to buy a bottle of meths for my camping stove from a hardware shop.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I for one am surprised anyone was sober enough to get to the meeting.

Kirkwall is the only place I've ever had to provide ID, my name and address and sign the poisons register to buy a bottle of meths for my camping stove from a hardware shop.

Do they still do that? I remember doing the same some time ago but now i just buy IMS online lol

ETA Actually I remembered I have bought normal meths fairly recently - they don't do that any more you'll be pleased to know. Laughing

Last edited by Islander on 12:32 - 03 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the industries of Orkney? Is it the typical Scottish line of "putting more in than we take out" Thinking TBF they'll get better gibs from the Norwegians than the Scottish government.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 3 or 4 days in Kirkwall back in the 90's waiting for the weather to improve enough for me to fly to Slum Voe (sh1t hole) to join the Drupa (Lovely ship).

I must have gone round their museum everyday I was so bored with the place. I can even remember buying a book on the salvaging of the scuttled German fleet from WW1 in Scapa Flow to read when I couldn't be bothered wanking over the latest Fiesta (brought from England I hasten to add). It was of course before the days of the internet or I would have sought out and annoyed Islander Mr. Green

Fcuk me I must have been bored.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What are the industries of Orkney? Is it the typical Scottish line of "putting more in than we take out" Thinking TBF they'll get better gibs from the Norwegians than the Scottish government.

Beef farming, renewable energy generation, fishing including several fish farms around the coasts, tourism, cruise liners (unfortunately), North Sea oil, diving...

Oh and there's a container hub in planning as well.

Those are probably the main ones.

Last edited by Islander on 12:41 - 03 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I spent 3 or 4 days in Kirkwall back in the 90's waiting for the weather to improve enough for me to fly to Slum Voe (sh1t hole) to join the Drupa (Lovely ship).

I must have gone round their museum everyday I was so bored with the place. I can even remember buying a book on the salvaging of the scuttled German fleet from WW1 in Scapa Flow to read when I couldn't be bothered wanking over the latest Fiesta (brought from England I hasten to add). It was of course before the days of the internet or I would have sought out and annoyed Islander Mr. Green

Fcuk me I must have been bored.

I'd have bought you a pint Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:48 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Beef farming, renewable energy generation, fishing including several fish farms around the coasts, tourism, cruise liners (unfortunately), North Sea oil, diving...

Whisky? At least two distilleries I can think of and the output of Highland Park must be pretty high.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky's nothing to be sniffed at as far as international exports go, Japs go mad for it. Scottish equivalent of champagne... says it all really Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Orkneys and shetlands are landing points for North Sea Oil industry and products.
They levied the oil industry years ago to offset any environmental impact and to provide revenue for the islands future.
A bit like what Denmark and Norway do.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

Whisky? At least two distilleries I can think of and the output of Highland Park must be pretty high.

Good call - I'd forgotten about the distilleries. Highland Park has two unique things about it. It's the northernmost whisky distillery and it's the only one that still has an operational malting floor.

Scapa is the second whisky distillery but we also have several very good gin distilleries and one for Polarbear here, a rum distillery. Then there's the wine producer and two breweries as well...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Orkneys and shetlands are landing points for North Sea Oil industry and products.
They levied the oil industry years ago to offset any environmental impact and to provide revenue for the islands future.
A bit like what Denmark and Norway do.

Yep. We have a large oil reserve fund that's used for business grants and the like. It's also a safety net. Then there's the restoration money as well...

Our local authority is one of the few that has it's own harbours department, towage service and pilotage service. That alone brings in a lot of money. Ship to ship transfers take place in Scapa Flow and we also moor oil platforms that have come out of service until they go back into service. We run our own internal ferries as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame Putin for this.

Tiny island nations might be fucked in terms of security and having a powerful (and supposedly benevolent) larger neighbour helps everyone sleep easy at night. Now that the biggest, baddest, bogeyman in Europe has shown himself up to be a complete numpty no one's all that bothered. Unlike the South China Sea the (haha) polar opposite of the North Sea with regards to international relations.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:18 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I blame Putin for this.

Tiny island nations might be fucked in terms of security and having a powerful (and supposedly benevolent) larger neighbour helps everyone sleep easy at night. Now that the biggest, baddest, bogeyman in Europe has shown himself up to be a complete numpty no one's all that bothered. Unlike the South China Sea the (haha) polar opposite of the North Sea with regards to international relations.

Russia and Numpties still happen to be the most dangerous threat to life on earth as we know it.

The 'leaders' all follow the same broken philosophy.

Although the Russian government is a numpty, its been a criminal organisation since the Czars were murdered. (And the Czars weren't much kinder to the proletariat either.)

Dmitry Medvedev, their former Figure Head (president, whilst Putin changed some rules.) stated that the status with NATO will last several decades and the situation in Ukraine is permanent. He has putins hand shoved up his arse pulling the strings that make his chin flap. Always has been a prick.

The Russian way in general, is backwards. They still believe what they read in the papers and the Bibles.
For sure there are a handful of intellectuals but when you're an intellectual, you do not remain in Russia.

We do not know what Russia is capable of.

We hope the idea of the group of theoretical scientists who envisaged the nuclear bomb as the ultimate deterrent is still valid.
Mutual Annihilation only works for opponents with equal life goals.

Nut Job regimes are unpredictably dangerous.

Last edited by MCN on 10:14 - 04 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

More sobering than eating old coffee grounds. Way to kill the buzz Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I blame Putin for this.

The City State of the 'Deen will robustly defend its territorial rights regarding the North Sea.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MCN"]
Easy-X wrote:
They still believe what they read in the papers and the Bibles.
For sure there are a handful of intellectuals but when you're an intellectual, you do not remain in Russia.

This is an opinion which particularly annoys my Russian relatives. Their position is they know better than anyone that what you read in the papers is garbage. The depressing thing is the ordinary Russians default response is to just put their head down and get on with their day and suck up whatever privations they then suffer.

An example, I was speaking to a Russian in Moscow twenty years ago who was talking about what a mess the local boulevard had become as there was a growth in the number of advertising hoardings. I suggested she go to her local MP about the matter, they looked at me like I was insane their view was that to do such a thing would just put them at personal risk by being identified as a trouble maker. So they just shrugged the matter off and sucked it up. Thats the Russian way, at the national level this is then promoted as a virtue, the Russian capacity to "suffer", hundreds of thousands of body bags, no problem.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalin murdered millions of his own citizens when he was in power.

So Russians suck it up.

I work with them. They believe things were better for them during the communistic era.

They didn't know there countries were collectively bankrupt.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Stalin murdered millions of his own citizens when he was in power.

So Russians suck it up.

I work with them. They believe things were better for them during the communistic era.

They didn't know there countries were collectively bankrupt.

Yup, your never lonely in the gulag comrade and you always have something to do. All societies have sentimentalism about the past though we have entire political partys based on it ffs.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Yup, your never lonely in the gulag comrade...

You never know who's going to dob you in to the guards. You can be surrounded by people and still be alone.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 46 of 48