Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scottish Nationalism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
The problem with the last referendum was that nobody trusted Salmond - and quite rightly so. Sturgeon is a different proposition.

Hmmmm… really? Not everyone who votes SNP wants independence, it has simply become the party of the Scots like Labour was the party of the working class.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/ is a popular and often interesting blog. Very pro-independence yet vehemently anti-Sturgeon.

I chuckled at yesterday’s opener though,

Quote:
So it’s official – Scotland is not a partner in the UK, but a prisoner. Supposedly equal signatories to a treaty, we were in fact captured in 1707, with no hope of release other than at the whim of our jailer. It is an outrage, but a wholly predictable one.

The comments were good too. I think we need better prison wardens though Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Scottish are prisoners it's the comfy cell with the PS5. The English cell down the corridor is the one with the extra bunk beds for the Albania drug dealers and a broke Wii.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Quote:
So it’s official – Scotland is not a partner in the UK, but a prisoner. Supposedly equal signatories to a treaty, we were in fact captured in 1707, with no hope of release other than at the whim of our jailer. It is an outrage, but a wholly predictable one.

So it's official - The north of England is a prisoner of Westminster.
So it's official - Cumbria is a prisoner of Westminster.
So it's official - I am a prisoner of Westminster.
All at the whim of our jailer.

But the Scots have to go now, the damage has been done.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you put it like that I almost envy the Scots, almost...

The handover between prison governors:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/15625/production/_127598578_untitleddesign-20.png

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Scots don't want to join the EU. The SNP want to and see Brexit as a convenient political tool to engineer a referrendum on that basis. The SNP are not well liked in Scotland but they are a means to an end for many Scots who would like to see independance. They'll be dropped like a hot potato if it ever actually happens.

I see a more Scandinavian/Icelandic model of an independant Scotland.

Yet Nicola and majority Scotts disagree with you.

Quote:
The Panelbase survey for the Times found that if the Brexit referendum was held again tomorrow, 72 per cent of voters in Scotland would support Remain, up from 62% in 2016. 

While 69% said they would rejoin the EU, up from 61% in January.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20681698.two-thirds-scots-want-rejoin-eu/

Quote:

Independent Scotland would apply to rejoin European Union

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63260224

Obviously Scotland will join the EU because its much more democratic then the UK.

Each country in EU is truly independent.

Hence the reason Scotland will leave undemocratic UK and join democratic EU.

Why do you think Ukraine is fighting a war to join the EU not the UK?

Quote:

When Scotland becomes independent I will be in Edinburg celebrating independent Scotland with my friends Christmas Hat Christmas Hat

Let that news sinks with you...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Believe. For how long?

Quote:

Truly you are an idiot.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too harsh on Val. Since abandoning his own country, he is rootless, has nowhere he can truly call home. I pity him.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:

Believe. For how long?

Quote:

Truly you are an idiot.

Please don't be ignorant.

Unless you have lived in cave the last 20 years surely you know all started in 2004 when Ukraine chose to be free with the Orange Revolution in November/December 2004 which has unambiguously determined the future orientation of Ukraine: Joining the European Union.

Ukrainians marked the Day of Dignity and Freedom on November 21, continuing a seven-year tradition that seeks to place the country’s 2004 Orange Revolution and the 2014 Euromaidan Revolution

Its called Euromaidan for a reason.

https://www.boell.de/sites/default/files/styles/var_larger/public/uploads/2014/05/euromaidan-studenten.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing 2004/2014, and Putin has only just noticed Ukraine has joined the EU… oh wait. They haven’t.
What nonsense.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

As long as they ultimately achieve independence, who cares?

The people who will end up paying for their little personal vanity project while they run off making a packet.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The Scottish independence mentality is nothing more than a football supporter's mentality.

Much like the electorates relationship with politics in general.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:18 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Yet Nicola and majority Scotts disagree with you.

Quote:
The Panelbase survey for the Times found that if the Brexit referendum was held again tomorrow, 72 per cent of voters in Scotland would support Remain, up from 62% in 2016. 

While 69% said they would rejoin the EU, up from 61% in January.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/20681698.two-thirds-scots-want-rejoin-eu/

You are woefully unaware of how nuianced Scots voters are. Scots have always voted tactically and this is a classic example.

It boils down to a large proportion of Scots want independance from the UK. The only realistic way to achieve this is by voting for the SNP, even if you fundamentally disagree with their politics.

The only available lever for another independance referrendum is Brexit. Much was made of it at the time. Effectively, the SNP announced that if the majority of the Scots vote was remain and the UK as a whole voted for brexit, they could make a case for another referrendum. So any Scot who really wanted independance, voted remain, even if they did not want to remain because this established a greivance against the UK as a whole that can be exploited. In reality, the brexit question was much more finely balanced but skewed by a remain = independance vote.

Lets say the actual oppinion on both brexit and independance is about 50:50 (which is probably close to the truth). The 50% who wanted to remain in the EU vote remain. However, of the pro brexit half, 50% of those want Scottish independance so they also vote remain. There's your 75% remain vote. Obviously it's more subtle than that but you get the idea.

Quote:
Quote:

Independent Scotland would apply to rejoin European Union
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63260224

Obviously Scotland will join the EU because its much more democratic then the UK.

Although that's just the oppinion of the SNP. It would actually be up to whoever forms the first Scottish parliament.

Quote:

When Scotland becomes independent I will be in Edinburg celebrating independent Scotland with my friends.

Assuming your visa is in order. Wink

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I have to disappoint you here mate I have several passports none of them require visa and also a British passport the ones with the European Union on the front too Laughing

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/British_passport_2002.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:14 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I have to disappoint you here mate I have several passports none of them require visa and also a British passport the ones with the European Union on the front too Laughing

I referr you to my previous comment. In the New Scotland all passports will be made of Tweed and you have to fail a breath test, eat a plate of haggis and hold a 5 minute conversation about football without once mentioning the 1966 world cup final before you get through passport control.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:58 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Scots have always voted tactically and this is a classic example.

They seem to vote on whatever the last election was about, rather than the current one Confused

Val wrote:

Will you even be able to touch your next passport?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/bp.png

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I referr you to my previous comment. In the New Scotland all passports will be made of Tweed and you have to fail a breath test, eat a plate of haggis and hold a 5 minute conversation about football without once mentioning the 1966 world cup final before you get through passport control.

You got me with the haggis Laughing

That may be a valid reason never to visit Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a decent haggis. Amazing how we baulk at what the Chinese eat when haggis, blood pudding and faggots* are top tier stuff Smile

*Mr. Brain's

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nothing wrong with a decent haggis. Amazing how we baulk at what the Chinese eat when haggis, blood pudding and faggots* are top tier stuff Smile

*Mr. Brain's

Don't forget white pudding/mealy pudding and fruit pudding too. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:18 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I don't think the English people know that fruit suet pudding boiled in a floured cloth then sliced and fried in bacon fat is a breakfast food.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

I don't think the English people know that fruit suet pudding boiled in a floured cloth then sliced and fried in bacon fat is a breakfast food.

And what a breakfast food. Occasional treat of course.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:46 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Suet, is that still a thing?! My mum used to make bacon roly-poly and jam roly-poly. The bacon was from the off-cuts bin but the jam was home made with fruit from the garden Drooling

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:25 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Suet, is that still a thing?! My mum used to make bacon roly-poly and jam roly-poly. The bacon was from the off-cuts bin but the jam was home made with fruit from the garden Drooling

Sure is. In this context used to make clootie dumpling. It's also used for Christmas pudding and of course, mince pies.

Full Scottish Breakfast will include clootie dumpling, haggis, black pudding, bacon, lorne sausage, link sausage, fried egg, beans, tomato, mushrooms and potato scones. Tea and toast on the side.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Full Scottish Breakfast will include clootie dumpling, haggis, black pudding, bacon, lorne sausage, link sausage, fried egg, beans, tomato, mushrooms and potato scones. Tea and toast on the side.

What do you lot want with independence? You're all going to die early of heart disease anyway if heroin doesn't get you first Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 26 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Again I am reaching for the "I find this post edible" button Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 22 of 48