Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scottish Nationalism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Scottish Nationalism Reply with quote

I can't decide if this is a comedy piece that morphs into politics or a political hit piece that masquerades as comedy...

Everyone Loves Scottish Nationalism ... Ooops - Leo Kearse

TBH I don't know how it is north of Hadrian's Wall beyond the odd hints dropped on this forum Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:57 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Scot living in England too but yes, seems fairly accurate. There is a broad level of support for independance but underlying it is a nasty minority, racist against the English.. And in fact, downright intolerant of other Scots who don't agree with their agenda. A bit like the situation in Ireland but nowhere near as severe.

Where I disagree with him is I will say there is also a noticeable amount of low level racism against Scots from the English. I often get a "You're a Scotchman right? So what are you doing working down here?". It's not meant in a nice way. It's meant in a "Why don't you fuck off back where you came from?" way.

I generally tell such people I'm upholding ancient Scots traditions of stealing English Jobs and women. But imagine if someone said: "So you're from Pakistan right? What are you doing working over here?".

There are other things. I actually had someone call me a "Fucking Scotch cunt." the other day. At work. If he thought about it, probably not the right thing to be saying to the person he was relying on to sign off on his farm so he could sell cattle again.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the statement above that underneath all this "go it alone" shite is a basic hatred of the English.

It's not always manifested and rarely stated but it's there. Right form the leadership of the SNP down to the arses that paint their face blue.

Wankerism of the highest order, and the reason i have never supported independence.

That may change but only when the reasons for wanting it change.

That wee Jimmy Krankie twat just wants a statue in Glesga , same as the fat lad that was there before him.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:50 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the SNP are not as well liked as they seem to think they are. A lot of people vote for them because they agree with the idea of an independant Scotland, and/or because they make a glorious mess when they troop into Westminster but without necessarily supporting the policies and aims of the SNP.

There is a huge vacuum in Scottish politics for a centre-right party which has no ties to a mainstream Westminster party. There are a lot of natural Tory voters in the more rural areas of Scotland once you get out of the central belt but the conservatives totally shit the bed for a generation in Scotland with the poll tax.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at some of the history of Scotland vs England since I started watching The Last Kingdom. From what I can tell there were/are roughly 4 types of people in Scotland: Scots (as in Irish really) Picts (highlanders, NE Scotland) Islanders and the English. On the latter Northumbria went all the way up to Edinburgh at one time. Unlike England the Vikings never really had much of a presence.

Is there such delineation any longer as TBH if someone said "Scotsman" to me I be wondering "and...?" much the same as Westcountry is a pretty pointless classification from the perspective of anyone in Cornwall.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Scottish Nationalism Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

TBH I don't know how it is north of Hadrian's Wall beyond the odd hints dropped on this forum Thinking

quiet .. but thats not the border .. but when the jocks get their independence we can build a proper one : a geet big wall : to keep them out.. Middle Finger

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I will say there is also a noticeable amount of low level racism against Scots from the English. I often get a "You're a Scotchman right? So what are you doing working down here?". It's not meant in a nice way. It's meant in a "Why don't you fuck off back where you came from?" way.

Welsh, living in England for about 16 years. I get the same shit. When I was younger I'd happily get in a scrap over it, these days I just respond with, "I'm racially superior, you dirty franco-german mongrel". Weirdly it's never triggered the scrap it was originally intended too Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A lot of people vote for [the SNP] because they agree with the idea of an independant Scotland

Then the SNP is not the party for them, as they want to take Scotland straight back into the EU.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I will say there is also a noticeable amount of low level racism against Scots from the English. I often get a "You're a Scotchman right? So what are you doing working down here?". It's not meant in a nice way. It's meant in a "Why don't you fuck off back where you came from?" way.

Welsh, living in England for about 16 years. I get the same shit. When I was younger I'd happily get in a scrap over it, these days I just respond with, "I'm racially superior, you dirty franco-german mongrel". Weirdly it's never triggered the scrap it was originally intended too Laughing

I like the banter we've always had between us. It's just a bit of fun. But I'd suggest that if you, stinkwheel, get so much of non-banter attacks, it might be something to do with your attitude, ya feckless Scotch wanker Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something over 60% of Scotland's exports are to the rest of the UK. The SNP might want to consider that before imposing a hard border between Scotland and England.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward 1st - Hammer of the Scots and pretty much the Kicker of Welsh Arses as well.

The relationships went down hill from then onwards.

However the unification of Scotland and England came about when a SCOTTISH king became the King of England so theoretically I don't see what you skirt wearing, haggis munching, Irn bru drinking, wode wearing heathens are crying about. You took us over.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't picture ppl marching down The Mall chanting "What do want? Scots out! When do we want it? Now!" waving flags of St. George and burning effigies of Robbie Burns but the converse seems highly likely Thinking All the talk is of rebuilding the wall to keep the English out not the other way round.

Is that assessment wrong?

I also get the impression the SNP care nothing for the people of Scotland...

https://i.imgflip.com/4v83mw.jpg

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I can't picture ppl marching down The Mall chanting "What do want? Scots out! When do we want it? Now!" waving flags of St. George and burning effigies of Robbie Burns but the converse seems highly likely Thinking

now there`s an idea.. but would Newcastle civic centre do instead ?...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:52 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I like the banter we've always had between us. It's just a bit of fun. But I'd suggest that if you, stinkwheel, get so much of non-banter attacks, it might be something to do with your attitude, ya feckless Scotch wanker Razz

Typical English attitude, blame the victim.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Typical English attitude, blame the victim.

But think of it: your victimhood gives you virtue points - and I'm to thank for it! Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

im quite willing to disassociate from people who eat deep fried battered mars bars Razz

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:40 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
im quite willing to disassociate from people who eat deep fried battered mars bars Razz

After 53 yrs in Scotland I've yet to meet anyone who has tried one.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local chippie (closed due to Covid c*nts) has what they call "The Stav" which is a pitta, filled with kebab meat & chips and topped with slices of burger cheese. I can feel my arteries hardening just talking about it. But they're never heard of a "turbo sausage" which is sausage wrapped in kebab meat, battered and deep fried. I'm sure that one hails from north of the wall (although the name might be different.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:14 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
My local chippie (closed due to Covid c*nts) has what they call "The Stav" which is a pitta, filled with kebab meat & chips and topped with slices of burger cheese. I can feel my arteries hardening just talking about it. But they're never heard of a "turbo sausage" which is sausage wrapped in kebab meat, battered and deep fried. I'm sure that one hails from north of the wall (although the name might be different.)

You still haven't seen the pinnacle of deep frying.

I'd say it's a toss up between a "pizza crunch" (half pizza slice, battered and deep fried) and a deep fried scotch pie, served in a buttered roll.

My local chippie also used to do "cheese-in burgers" which were a double thick pattie with the cheese already in the middle of the burger meat. Again deep fried with or without batter.

I have also seen deep fried creme eggs, giant purple quality streets, jaffa cake fritters and choc-ice.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the “lessons learned” after the EU referendum, and anti-Brexit articles saying the Swiss for example (supposedly almost governed by referenda) were rethinking their enthusiasm for single issue voting* and therefore so should we, there seems to be no call for details with respect to Scottish independence, nor a minimum turnout, nor a majority threshold. (eg. 60%)

If I was a Scot I’d want to know how an already subsidised nation was going to survive and thrive outside of the union, and if the answer was the EU I’d want to know the entry requirements, currency details and more. At the moment, just like the last time, it looks like a vanity project which, if successful, ends with, “Oh shit! Now what?” Queen Nicola would no doubt step down, having reached the objective, and let someone else clean up the mess.

Yes, I’m aware of the irony of a Leave EU voter calling for such specifics but these were the criticisms from Remainers post-referendum, and besides, I was confident the UK could go it alone. Scotland? Not so much.

* Not so. https://www.ft.com/content/7eb3feec-1b8d-4637-b6e1-cf072b379216

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

After 53 yrs in Scotland I've yet to meet anyone who has tried one.

You don't generally meet dead heart attack victims Wink Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Despite the “lessons learned” after the EU referendum, and anti-Brexit articles saying the Swiss for example (supposedly almost governed by referenda) were rethinking their enthusiasm for single issue voting* and therefore so should we, there seems to be no call for details with respect to Scottish independence, nor a minimum turnout, nor a majority threshold. (eg. 60%)

If I was a Scot I’d want to know how an already subsidised nation was going to survive and thrive outside of the union, and if the answer was the EU I’d want to know the entry requirements, currency details and more. At the moment, just like the last time, it looks like a vanity project which, if successful, ends with, “Oh shit! Now what?” Queen Nicola would no doubt step down, having reached the objective, and let someone else clean up the mess.

Yes, I’m aware of the irony of a Leave EU voter calling for such specifics but these were the criticisms from Remainers post-referendum, and besides, I was confident the UK could go it alone. Scotland? Not so much.

* Not so. https://www.ft.com/content/7eb3feec-1b8d-4637-b6e1-cf072b379216

All depends on the government at the time. Labour would donate shed loads of money to the jocks. Here chaps, have money. You need it and we must pay back for being horrible bastard English. Black people get double!

Anyone who would fight tooth and nail to give them fuck all gets my vote.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Scotland should get anything from Westminster until they can show they won't just shovel it into a wasteful independence campaign.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:35 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't think Scotland should get anything from Westminster until they can show they won't just shovel it into a wasteful independence campaign.

One could argue the SNP should be given an equal amount to whatever central funds the Westminster government of the day spends on pro-union propoganda... That would probably have put the cat amongst the pigeons last time

In fact, it's the degree to which both mainstream parties campaign from a pro unionist stance while at the same time saying Scotland couldn't stand on its own that fuels my pro independance feelings.

As with Brexit, my oppinion is not based on any percieved fiscal advantage.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

One could argue the SNP should be given an equal amount to whatever central funds the Westminster government of the day spends on pro-union propoganda... That would probably have put the cat amongst the pigeons last time

Unfortunately for the SNP, they are not the UK government. Nor do they represent nearly as many people as the UK government. Like it or not, Scotland's government has powers devolved from the centre - granted it in other words (such powers could be revoked). That does not include funding to break away from the UK, nor should it. Any party in Scotland that wants independence should raise the necessary funding for itself; I have no argument against that. I'm not particularly for the Westminster government spending on pro-unionist propaganda either, not that I've seen any. The SNP gets time in Parliament to make its point, and the UK government gets the time to make their counter-points.

Quote:
In fact, it's the degree to which both mainstream parties campaign from a pro unionist stance while at the same time saying Scotland couldn't stand on its own that fuels my pro independance feelings.

Since Scotland gaining its independence would be a pretty big deal for the rest of the UK too, I think any further referendums should be UK wide. But the last one was labelled a "once in a generation" event. So there's a while to go before another should be considered, and it is up to the UK government whether or not to grant one even in that time. Scotland is a sovereign part of the UK still.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 1 of 48