Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

time to tape over your mic/web cam

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: time to tape over your mic/web cam Reply with quote

Researchers have found an AI-driven attack that can steal passwords with up to 95% accuracy by listening to what you type on your keyboard.
https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/14/ai-can-now-steal-your-passwords-with-95-accuracy-19332007/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:09 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why you should use a secure keyring. Then it can only listen to the password that unlocks your keyring, which is no good to them unless they are using your computer.

I don't understand why secure sites stopped just asking for certain specific letters from your password, it seemed to me a very good way of defeating keylogger attacks, it would defeat this one too because you never actually type in the complete password. Maybe there's a good reason for it though?

The highly demanding features of passwords must be very exploitable too via this new and keylogger type attacks because they just need to look for something that is 8-10 letters long and contains at least one of a capital, lower case, special character and a number. Which is something you'd almost never type into a keyboard except as a password.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multifactor authentication sorts all of those password attacks out in a painless way. An authenticator app and away you go.

Passwords are on their way out anyway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend locking down your main email account with extreme prejudice. Everything else tends to hang off it so it's the main point of failure with regards to hacking targets.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The highly demanding features of passwords must be very exploitable too via this new and keylogger type attacks because they just need to look for something that is 8-10 letters long and contains at least one of a capital, lower case, special character and a number. Which is something you'd almost never type into a keyboard except as a password.

Complexity is old hat though. Entropy is where you want to be. Four or five random words joined together no need for numbers or special characters. Length is strength and all that.

Example: UndrilledDaylightHeadlessYodelBruising

Easy to remember, decent entropy and would take a password cracker like John the Ripper longer than the lifetime of the universe to guess.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I always recommend locking down your main email account with extreme prejudice. Everything else tends to hang off it so it's the main point of failure with regards to hacking targets.

The main point of failure with regards to hacking targets is reuse of passwords across multiple accounts. Use a different password for each account and a password manager like KeePassXC.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
The main point of failure with regards to hacking targets is reuse of passwords across multiple accounts.

Yes, by all means keep banging that drum Thumbs Up Bang it louder and more often!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:04 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Complexity is old hat though. Entropy is where you want to be. Four or five random words joined together no need for numbers or special characters. Length is strength and all that.

Easy to remember, decent entropy and would take a password cracker like John the Ripper longer than the lifetime of the universe to guess.

Most sites would not accept that as a password, they forceably constrain you to a specific formula.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

Most sites would not accept that as a password, they forceably constrain you to a specific formula.

Most of them require an upper case character and a numerical character so just stick a number on the end and you're good. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:
The main point of failure with regards to hacking targets is reuse of passwords across multiple accounts.

Yes, by all means keep banging that drum Thumbs Up Bang it louder and more often!

Oh I do. It's mentioned in all the guidance I've written professionally and I mention it whenever passwords and security are mentioned in posts like this.

What really annoys me is people using the same passwords for their work and private accounts. We've had a few credential stuffing attempts at work (not a chance of working, we use MFA and device authentication as well as personal authentication). Of course the user has never used the same password oh no of course not honest guv. Rolling Eyes

Still it provides a training moment for anyone that happens to be around...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 25 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usebthebsame password for everything. That way I feel secure that I won't forget it.

QWeRTY.12345 Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1