Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

another nail in the coffin of driving pleasure

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: another nail in the coffin of driving pleasure Reply with quote

The UK’s New AI Traffic Cam Spots Nearly 300 Violations in 3 Days.

A new free-standing traffic camera powered by AI has spotted and photographed almost 300 violations in the first three days of use.

The camera, which is used in the UK as part of a trial program, caught 117 people on their phones while driving, as well as 180 instances of people failing to use their seatbelts while driving.

the new system is billed as a free-standing option which can be moved around easily to different roads in any given area.
https://tech.co/news/new-ai-traffic-cam-300-violations-3-days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:00 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,do you use your phone whilst driving?

Really not seeing how this reduces driving pleasure.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 21:01 - 18 Aug 2023; edited 1 time in total

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use your phone while driving and fasten your seatbelt. Don't let her give you a blow job while you are driving either, I'm sure Japan doesn't allow this either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:28 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

and pay your Blackwall tunnel toll fees when the Slayer of London introduces them shortly.
"Since the Blackwall Tunnel opened on the 22nd May 1897 (the current northbound bore) there hasn’t been a toll charge for using either tunnel. However, that is about the change. With the construction of the Silvertown Tunnel to be completed in 2025, there will then become a charge to use either the Blackwall or Silvertown Tunnel. The charge levels will differ for different types of vehicles using the tunnels, these charge levels will be decided closer to the opening date."

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:35 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call prosecution for phones use whilst driving, a nail in a coffin.

Someone posted a nod down to this book years ago on here.

It is science based

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) by Tom Vanderbilt.

Chapter Three discusses at deep level the way phones and other issues seriously interrupt concentration and focus whilst driving.

It's amazing it is not punished the same way as drink driving.

Amazing really when the evidence is studied.

"How Our Eyes and Minds Betray Us on the Road.

Keep Your Mind on the Road: Why It’s So Hard to Pay Attention in Traffic.

'Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.' —Albert Einstein.

Here is a common traffic experience: You are driving, perhaps down a mostly empty highway, perhaps on the quiet streets around your house, when you suddenly find yourself “awake at the wheel.” You realize, with a mixture of wonder and horror, that you cannot remember what you have been doing for the past few moments—nor do you know how long you have been “out.” You may find yourself sitting in your driveway and asking, as the Talking Heads once did, “How did I get here?” This phenomenon has been called everything from “highway hypnosis” to the “time-gap experience,” and while it has long puzzled people who study driving, it is still not fully understood. What is known is that it usually happens in fairly monotonous or familiar driving situations. Some scientists suggest that it’s related to drowsiness, and that we may even be taking what are called “microsleeps” at the wheel.
"

It should make phone use whilst driving an obvious major problem.

I use hands free through the car and onbthe bike.

But it still is a big distraction. I sometimes just answer and pull over or ignore.

The standard of driving has seriously declined as more vehicles have joined the queue.

The highway code was introduced in the UK in 1920.
People had been using shared roads since Einstein invented the wheel. It took a long time for some realistic solution to be implemented.

I think in ancient Rome they had traffic management by limited entry to the city. And it was one-way in the morning then the other way in the evening and nothing at night.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:49 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Here is a common traffic experience: You are driving, perhaps down a mostly empty highway, perhaps on the quiet streets around your house, when you suddenly find yourself “awake at the wheel.” You realize, with a mixture of wonder and horror, that you cannot remember what you have been doing for the past few moments—nor do you know how long you have been “out.” You may find yourself sitting in your driveway and asking, as the Talking Heads once did, “How did I get here?” This phenomenon has been called everything from “highway hypnosis” to the “time-gap experience,” and while it has long puzzled people who study driving, it is still not fully understood. What is known is that it usually happens in fairly monotonous or familiar driving situations. Some scientists suggest that it’s related to drowsiness, and that we may even be taking what are called “microsleeps” at the wheel.[/i]"

Or other less sensationalist scientists might say you were driving and functioning perfectly normally but your brain didn't receive sufficient novel stimulus to see the need to lay it down in long term memory.

In the same way as I can't remember any details of how I got to where I'm sat now.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:02 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So,do you use your phone whilst driving?

Really not seeing how this reduces driving pleasure.

Now it's just AI spotting people using their phones whilst driving however this is only the beginning.

ChatGPT is becoming the real Skynet.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offences are not the problem but the process is objectionable. It's hard enough right now just with the bureaucratic system of computers + people to appeal an incorrect fine but imagine going to court and you can't even face your accuser once the whole thing is fully automated...

https://64.media.tumblr.com/b6907b31393d5fcca2230af9b93597af/2cde05363c657151-97/s540x810/7936e5ef9b777ef83e6902a08b689b07591ff683.gifv

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:34 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, AI says 'I think this shows an offence', human looks at photo AI shows and says 'Yes it is' and starts the prosecution. The human is your accuser, not the AI.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Actually, AI says 'I think this shows an offence', human looks at photo AI shows and says 'Yes it is' and starts the prosecution. The human is your accuser, not the AI.

At the moment that's what's supposed to happen. If the AI does a cracking job the human "in change" will get into the habit of rubber stamping stuff. That's not speculation that's just how people's minds work. (I know this from user interface design where there's the trap of "dialogue fatigue" if you have to many pop-ups to click/tap on.) Then there'll be budget cuts and the human component will move to just the appeals process and so on... not saying it'll happen overnight.

The funny part is we might get a fairer deal from AIs. Instead of lumbering bureaucracies with a dwindling human but feckless component the AIs will actually take the job seriously Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:25 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

At the moment that's what's supposed to happen. If the AI does a cracking job the human "in change" will get into the habit of rubber stamping stuff. That's not speculation that's just how people's minds work. (I know this from user interface design where there's the trap of "dialogue fatigue" if you have to many pop-ups to click/tap on.) Then there'll be budget cuts and the human component will move to just the appeals process and so on... not saying it'll happen overnight.

The funny part is we might get a fairer deal from AIs. Instead of lumbering bureaucracies with a dwindling human but feckless component the AIs will actually take the job seriously Laughing

But then you still get your day in court and the person who 'rubberstamps' it still has to prove their case.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, do you use your phone whilst driving?

I do, just did Bristol-Sheffield to visit family and used my phone multiple times each way. Mainly to choose what music
I wanted playing, but I did also make 1 call and brought up an alternative route to what my in car nav chose
in my 2nd of three motorway closures driving home as the diversion was so badly signposted that I went in a huge loop
twice with my in car navigation constantly trying to send me back onto the motorway which was closed. I used Google
maps to get me on line of route again. Phones in a cradle so it's no different to pressing any other button/touchscreen in my
car. Calls, navigation and music are all connected to the car via bluetooth, with calls obviously being 'hands free'.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, do you use your phone whilst driving?

I do, just did Bristol-Sheffield to visit family and used my phone multiple times each way. Mainly to choose what music
I wanted playing, but I did also make 1 call and brought up an alternative route to what my in car nav chose
in my 2nd of three motorway closures driving home as the diversion was so badly signposted that I went in a huge loop
twice with my in car navigation constantly trying to send me back onto the motorway which was closed. I used Google
maps to get me on line of route again. Phones in a cradle so it's no different to pressing any other button/touchscreen in my
car. Calls, navigation and music are all connected to the car via bluetooth, with calls obviously being 'hands free'.

I think tamperfereing with a mobile device whilst driving can be pinned as using a mobile device whilst driving.

That may include dicking with a sat nav.

Edit: "Penalties
You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send and receive data while driving or riding a motorcycle.

You’ll also lose your licence if you passed your driving test in the last 2 years.

You can get 3 penalty points if you do not have a full view of the road and traffic ahead or proper control of the vehicle.

You can also be taken to court where you can:

be banned from driving or riding
get a maximum fine of £1,000 (£2,500 if you’re driving a lorry or bus)"

Edit ii: Car satnavs predominantly are located in the middle
E of the dash. K think that forces juoir view away from the road ahead to ogle a map or whatever. Easy to get caught short by that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
But then you still get your day in court and the person who 'rubberstamps' it still has to prove their case.

Jeez, do I have to spell it out?! Eventually there will be no rubber stamping, the whole process will be automated. Probably AI judges and barristers too Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I think tamperfereing with a mobile device whilst driving can be pinned as using a mobile device whilst driving.

That may include dicking with a sat nav.

Edit: "Penalties
You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send and receive data while driving or riding a motorcycle.

My nav in the car is indeed mounted centrally sticking up out of the dashboard. Touchscreen on that doesn't work
when the car is in motion but there's a jog dial which does work when the car is rolling and it's mounted on the centre
console approximately where an old fashioned handbrake would have it's handle. As for my phone, its in a screen
mounted holder and as long as I'm not holding it, my understanding is that I can use it's functions so long as doing so
isn't impairing my driving. I do have a voice control thingy in the car as well but I haven't figured that out yet.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 19 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be blunt: I wouldn't want to hold a conversation while driving/riding regardless of whether the device were fixed / part of the car. Trying to hold a conversation via mobile phone is more mentally taxing than with a passenger in the vehicle. I'm talking in neurological terms, I've no idea how much of a pain your other half is Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 20 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've no idea how much of a pain your other half is Laughing

No other half here. Just me. I was ringing my mum who was already at the destination to ask if she wanted me to
stop for fish and chips for everyone on my way there to save a bit of time. She did and that was £50 I'll never
see again. Laughing Was a nice bit of fish though. Talking on the phone while riding/driving doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I get more distracted speaking to someone in the vehicle as I tend to look at them when I talk to them.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Don't let her give you a blow job while you are driving either, I'm sure Japan doesn't allow this either.

If you're still in 2 minds about this watch this film:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinner_(film)

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Skudd wrote:
Don't let her give you a blow job while you are driving either, I'm sure Japan doesn't allow this either.

If you're still in 2 minds about this watch this film:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinner_(film)

Also read American Gods, or just watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1