Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tracker on bike during service

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 03:54 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Tracker on bike during service Reply with quote

I took my bike into the garage for a service two weeks ago today. Man said he could look at it during that week. I've still not got it back. I've called up twice to be told it's not yet been looked at. When I dropped it off the guy asked me if there was a tracker on it. I told him no. I'm now wondering why he would do this and whether there's funny business happening, like him using the bike for his own use. Anyone know of a reason they'd want to know whether there's a tracker on your bike before doing a service?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:13 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to imagine a breach of trust more egregious than a mechanic using a customer's vehicle for his own amusement. Occasionally you hear about such acts, usually involving high end sports cars. Apparently, your garage is too busy to get around to your bike, and in that case, they might not be inclined to give your machine the care and attention to detail that you are paying for. If I were in your situation, I would take the bike back and find another garage, one that will meet your expectations for quality and timely service.

As to your question; no, I cannot think of a reason that the presence of a tracker would interfere with service or repair work.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:01 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, If they are asking questions like that, they are not to be trusted.
Oh! and when you do collect it check the mileage.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
+1, If they are asking questions like that, they are not to be trusted.

Or it could be as simple as them asking out of courtesy to remind you that you might be getting some panicked phone calls at 7am in the morning when the overly keen mechanic turns up and disconnects the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:25 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they had no intention of doing the job any time soon and were worried it would flatten the battery before they get round to it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever left any vehicle of mine, bike or car, at a garage more than overnight for servicing. I mean - you book the job in to be done on Thursday; drop the vehicle off Wednesday evening or Thursday morning as agreed, and then collect it that evening or the following day. Don't you?

Two weeks??? Shocked

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I don't think I've ever left any vehicle of mine, bike or car, at a garage more than overnight for servicing. I mean - you book the job in to be done on Thursday; drop the vehicle off Wednesday evening or Thursday morning as agreed, and then collect it that evening or the following day. Don't you?

Hard pushed to do that with a valve clearance check.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re tracker: it could just be that he's had problems with customers in the past, or that he's had alarms going off left right and centre that he's not known how to silence; or been told about beforehand. I had a CBF 1000 that came with a S3 Datatool and on the same night it got delivered it imploded. No matter what I removed (fuses, battery terminals etc) it had a mind of its own (those things are bloody annoying). I paid near £200 to have it removed, and I wouldn't touch a bike that had been infested with one ever again.

In regards to riding it around I highly doubt it. You could always take a picture of mileage before dropping it off anywhere, but I doubt any non-teenage serious mechanic that's managed to build up their business enough to have customers visit them gets off on doing anymore than the required mileage for a basic round the block test ride after a job. I get the sense my local hardly do test rides most the time because they've been doing it so long, and the time it takes to go for a spin is money lost because another bike is waiting to go on the bench.

We're in the middle of a lockdown, and a valve clearance isn't a five second job. Its poor that they've had it two weeks and not even put a spanner to it, to be fair. Its up to you: phone them and ask them when they expect to start working on it or collect it and take it elsewhere.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to try and play fair a lot of businesses can suddenly find themselves without half their workforce. "So-and-so got The Bad Aids and I need to self-isolate for 10 days..." and then you're on an endless game of catch up. However, I'd expect any trustworthy business to inform me of this - delays due to Covid is not an unusual refrain.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:07 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I'm laughing out loud at the idea that a motorcycle mechanic would actually do a valve clearance check as part of a service.

I mean, they might SAY they were going to but if they did anything other than suck the old oil out, change the filter and fill it up with the same oil that goes in every bike through the door from the big drum through the back, I'd be surprised.

I paid a large, main dealers in Edinburgh through the nose for servicing for two years to keep a warranty up. They used to insist on keeping it overnight so the valves were cold for the tappet check. Once I started servicing it myself, it became abundantly clear the tappet covers had never been taken off the bike since it left the factory (dry, powdery threads, no witness marks on the painted alloy hex cast into the top).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tell my shop about the alarm that's on there, but I've never heard them ask about trackers etc, especially as most of the trackers I've seen (admittedly not many) don't actually hook into anything other than power so wouldn't affect the bike either way if they were working or not.

I'd be taking a peek at the odometer after you get it back (assuming you noted what it was when you dropped it off). A few miles added is par for the course as part of a road test, anything more than 5-10 would make me question though.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
arry wrote:

I'm laughing out loud at the idea that a motorcycle mechanic would actually do a valve clearance check as part of a service.

I mean, they might SAY they were going to but if they did anything other than suck the old oil out, change the filter and fill it up with the same oil that goes in every bike through the door from the big drum through the back, I'd be surprised.

I paid a large, main dealers in Edinburgh through the nose for servicing for two years to keep a warranty up. They used to insist on keeping it overnight so the valves were cold for the tappet check. Once I started servicing it myself, it became abundantly clear the tappet covers had never been taken off the bike since it left the factory (dry, powdery threads, no witness marks on the painted alloy hex cast into the top).

My local Honda dealer were quite conscious of that, they actually supplied pictures of the bike with the covers off, to prove that they'd been in there. I guess they've had issues in the past.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny thing riding customers bikes, sometimes you don't really have a choice but you always tell the client you are doing it.
Many odd faults won't appear until the bike has been ridden.

Heard one story from a Honda dealer dealer that used to be in Whitechapel E1, anyone who can name it will get Karma, except Shaft.

So new CBR1000 late 80's, has full power, runs well client says it doesn't accelerate correctly. compression is lower end of good, works perfectly around town so with customers permission it's taken out for a run up the M1. Crack open the throttle in a highish gear at 70+ and nothing happens, turns out the bike was built without any piston rings but as it was new and the tolerances were close it still ran but without an M1 run it couldn't have been checked.

Another Honda, a CX650 Eurosport had to be taken from the workshop in Kings Cross to Honda at Power Road for an 08.30 appointment. Few problems that there was no data in the manual for including free length of rear shock so they wanted to see it, do their thing then check with Honda Japan to try and get answers. Client gives permission and mechanic takes it home and gets a parking ticket outside his flat on the West Cromwell Rd. Client goes mental 'Why was my bike out there getting a parking ticket?" until pointed out that he gave permission for it.

Very few mechanics take customer bikes out for jollies because they don't actually care what your bike is like, they have ridden so many that your bike is not a novelty, exciting, whatever, it's just another bike. Sometimes they have to take them for long rides but should ask first BUT if you have said it has a problem that requires a long ride then that is enough permission to take it for one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1