BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Noms Reply with quote

AKA as suggested by Recman, the "foodie/experimental recipe" thread.

I personally promise to try and avoid pix unless they are of the "omg look how severely wrong this went", but let's see where it leads us.

For lunch today I defrosted some fagioli* and bacon soup that I made a week or so ago - and into which I dumped a can of drained tuna flakes in oil.
Sounds weird, works very well.
I've made tuna and bacon casserole, back in the days of Italian wifeyness, and it was very successful.

*Birdsplaining : white kidney beans

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite lunch at the moment is burger, but served differently.

Served in a flour wrap instead. Sauces down in the centre of the wrap, then gherkin, tomato, crisp iceberg lettuce, melt the cheese of your choice onto the burger as you're grilling and then stick cheese side down into the wrap, fold up like a parcel and nom away.

Favourite sauce for it is sauce shop smoky chipotle ketchup and then favourite cheese is either smoked applewood cheddar or a relatively mild blue.

So good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utilising cashew cream for all sorts of things; soak half a cupful of raw cashews in water for an hour so, then blend with just enough water to keep it together until totally smooth. Heat gently and add crushed peppercorns and some salt; you get a cheat peppercorn sauce which is quick and delicious, can be made out of cupboard ingredients and has good levels of protein and other nutrients too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had vegan sausages. They looked nothing like meat. The taste and texture was like black pudding though, and to my astonishment I liked them. Had baked beans and eggy bread with it, and a mug of builders tea, honestly, if I had done a blind fold test, I'd have thought it was black pudding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
black pudding.

Maybe somebody swapped the labels. Laughing

Had a few of the McCains frozen thin chips that are a lot like McDonalds in style, definitely favourite frozen chip type just now and ideal for chip butty in a nice buttered bun - with a stripe of mayonnaise and ketchup or brown sauce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:20 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Favourite sauce for it is sauce shop smoky chipotle ketchup

Sauce shop are fucking top.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Noms Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
AKA as suggested by Recman, the "foodie/experimental recipe" thread.

I personally promise to try and avoid pix unless they are of the "omg look how severely wrong this went", but let's see where it leads us.

For lunch today I defrosted some fagioli* and bacon soup that I made a week or so ago - and into which I dumped a can of drained tuna flakes in oil.
Sounds weird, works very well.
I've made tuna and bacon casserole, back in the days of Italian wifeyness, and it was very successful.

*Birdsplaining : white kidney beans

Here's a really exotic one:

Take a bacon rasher and roll it up. Roll another bacon rasher around it. Take one can of tuna and throw it in the bin. Serve with additional bacon rashers, and sprinkle with cubed bacon. Mop up the juices with bread soaked in the bacon fat from the pan.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work we have Breville sandwich toasters, into which anything goes.
I think my two favourites so far have been Double Gloucester with smoked mackerel and salmon with creamed cheese and chives.
I likes me fish.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Noms Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Take a bacon rasher and roll it up. Roll another bacon rasher around it. Take one can of tuna and throw it in the bin. Serve with additional bacon rashers, and sprinkle with cubed bacon. Mop up the juices with bread soaked in the bacon fat from the pan.

are you trying for a coronary Shocked

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROPER Welsh rarebit. Salted butter and plain flour roux cooked down well. Add in good dark ale (Theakstons Old Peculiar works well, as would a stout, but nothing hoppy as it'll taste too bitter). Good splash of Henderson's Relish (or Worcestershire sauce if you're from darn sarf) and some English mustard. Loads of grated mature cheddar. Stir until incorporated, smooth and the consistency of thick custard (it should be spreadable, but should hold enough to have a thick layer when spread). Spread as thickly as possible onto doorstep slices of toast, slide under a hot grill until black blisters are appearing on the bubbling rarebit. Serve, ideally with further bottles of dark ale to drink.

I could just manage that right now.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having chicken feet for lunch today, sauce is mostly black bean but with a bit of chilli.

Kind of want Arry's burger wrap to go with them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Having chicken feet for lunch today

Chicken fee....what?!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Chicken feet late last year, they were actually surprisingly good.

Recently I bought some bits from Wiltshire Chilli Farm:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/chilli_sauce.jpg

I got gifted some for Christmas 2019 and have ordered two lots since then - I highly recommend the Winter Chilli Sauce - most excellent in stews and stuff (I like a big dollop in bolognese!).

the Chilli Jam is super on cheese and crackers too - especially with Red Leicester!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

You are aware that you can buy actual chicken meat in this country, and it's really quite cheap?
Chicken feet! The human race is doomed Sad

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys do some very nice pickles and sauces. I am partial to their King Naga.

https://www.mrvikkis.co.uk/shop/

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my favourite:

Marinate a couple of chicken thighs (boned) in:

Olive oil
Crushed garlic
Cumin
Coriander (ground)
Lemon juice
Fresh chopped chillies

Pan grill. Stick them on a plate. Pour over the pan juices, squeeze over the juice of half a lime, and sprinkle with salt to serve, with a simple salad and crusty bread/rolls.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:44 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new breakfast for me has been the boiled cabbage left from the night before.
Fried with some salt and pepper the throw in 2 eggs,
Serve with hot chilli sauce.

Simple and sounds shite, but by fuck it's braw.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:04 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
These guys do some very nice pickles and sauces. I am partial to their King Naga.

https://www.mrvikkis.co.uk/shop/

Their bananna habanero goes with pretty much anything.

I made haggis the other day. Mrs stinkwheel is on a special diet and can't have some things (onions and barley being two of those) so normal haggis isn't possible.

I couldn't get hold of a whole sheeps pluch at short notice so I made do with lamb and lambs liver. Boiled in spices until sorry, then minced, mixed with toasted oatmeal, chopped spring onion, suet and lots of black pepper. Wrapped up in a couple of layers of clingfilm because again, a proper casing would be tricky to source at short notice and boiled for 3 hours.

Turned out looking and tasting like a haggis. A tad on the dry side because I couldn't find proper pinhead oatmeal but I made up for that by serving it with a whisky and caper sauce.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3ehnF0cFvGOTUDIaRcJiqDnJpp70cSQ9NhkZgBLtIXPG1kbrZSOVLQ7vYFUeu5PIQ1OUNcENUI9nouuBhs-X6WyhzZd-g2pbSvMKPjS-BrEToJEpguZq0V2lPU2wEiCudU-K09wSTggdh1_LJ8Bd1Zs=w1529-h860-no

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Their bananna habanero goes with pretty much anything.

I have yet to try that . . . I have a bit of a totally unjustified mental block about mixing fruit with chillies, probably because I consider chillies and savoury. For the same reason I used to swerve the "masala bananas in ghee" at the curryhouse where I used to live, while I'd try just about everything else on the menu.

Maybe I should give it a go and get an online order in. I used to stock up on Mr Vikkis at Tebay services (used to pass through relatively regularly), but with lockdown etc. it's been nearly a year since I've been through there.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
c_dug wrote:

You are aware that you can buy actual chicken meat in this country, and it's really quite cheap?

I am! But I wasn't in this country!

It was a traditional Chinese Dim Sum in Hong Kong.

When in Rome and all that jazz.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I am! But I wasn't in this country!

It was a traditional Chinese Dim Sum in Hong Kong.

When in Rome and all that jazz.

Were they the old style free chickens, or the new authoritarian communist ones?
Whichever, the availability of chicken feet suggests to me an availability of chicken meat Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Still my favourite:

Olive oil
Crushed garlic
Cumin
Coriander (ground)
Lemon juice
Fresh chopped chillies

Pan grill. Stick them on a plate. Pour over the pan juices, squeeze over the juice of half a lime, and sprinkle with salt to serve, with a simple salad and crusty bread/rolls.

Tsk. I'm disappointed.

I was expecting you to say "then throw it all in the bin and make a bacon sarnie with a whole packet of bacon". Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Still my favourite:

Olive oil
Crushed garlic
Cumin
Coriander (ground)
Lemon juice
Fresh chopped chillies

Tsk. I'm disappointed.

I was expecting you to say "then throw it all in the bin and make a bacon sarnie with a whole packet of bacon". Laughing

That's dessert Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently have a stack of these in the fridge.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/microwaveable-snacks/rustlers-all-day-breakfast-sausage-muffin/1000072591683
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
.....haggis related talk....

😋

I want haggis now! Am I allowed to say that, as I was neither born or lived in Scotland? I have spent much time working over the border though...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4