Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vaccine passports

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chinese and the kiwis locked down properly from the start. No damage to their economies and virtual eradication of the virus.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our government tried to do what the Chinese did (and the South Koreans) there would have been absolute carnage. Welding up tower blocks, tracking everyone, draconian laws. I can really see Uncle Kier and Auntie Di (and 90% of the population) happily going along with that. They would have had to put the army on the streets.

NZ is a completely different story. An isolated island at the ends of the earth with the only way to arrive is from Aussie or via ship. Mainly filled with sheep and a population of about a third of London. FFS even I could have kept it out of there.

Comparing apples with apples, there is no comparable open country I can think of that has done wonderfully well.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If our government tried to do what the Chinese did (and the South Koreans) there would have been absolute carnage.

But there has been absolute and literlal carnage. Over 100,000 people dead before their time, more to die, the economy in a bad shape, masses of debt for the future. Not because we didn't do what China successfully did, but because we have a significant minority of utter, utter wankers who did not and still don't keep to the basic rules, let alone do more. The situation continues, after a whole year, and if another pandemic comes along, as is quite possible, you can guess what these people will do - again - all the while bleating and moaning and denying their responsibility.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Isn't the vaccine the key to virus eradicating?

I think what will happen is that vaccines and treatments will reduce the risks considerably, along with a natural 'fading away' (for want of a better phrase) of the virus. I don't think it can be said the 1918 flu was ever 'eradicated'? And they had no effective vaccine.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Look at the nations who put public health first. They're now doing bloody well, and do not have fucked economies.

For avoidance of doubt, which countries are you referring to?

Lord Percy wrote:
we never really focused on proper lockdown and/or virus eradication from the start.

Isn't the vaccine the key to virus eradicating?

Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, China... and that's just the ones I know off the top of my head. And preferably don't try the "yehbut UK is a special snowflake nation with trade and tourism, population density etc etc" because all the above nations have shitloads of trade, tourism and/or population density in their own right.

Vaccine won't eradicate anything, it'll just mitigate it, like the yearly flu vaccine. Certainly it'll help, but it's abundantly clear that nations who went with a zero-covid strategy from the start are fairing much better.

Part of me wonders if the UK is going to end up on no-fly lists for months or even years because we still have covid floating around at such levels. Nations operating a zero-covid strategy are not going to suddenly decide they need us in particular and let a ton of covid in.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Two questions for now:

1.How long for? Two months?

2. Do you think that 'complete' rollout of the vaccine will mitigate the need for it?

I'd say 4-6 weeks of hardcore lockdown would be a pretty good run.

Yeah definitely, full vaccination will definitely help. One of the very few good things we've got going at the moment is the vaccine program

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Part of me wonders if the UK is going to end up on no-fly lists for months or even years because we still have covid floating around at such levels. Nations operating a zero-covid strategy are not going to suddenly decide they need us in particular and let a ton of covid in.

We are doing very well with the vaccine rollout. Over 9 million so far. If we can keep it up, I don't think we'll be a pariah nation. And I don't think a zero covid strategy will be sustainable in the long run. I think people will go on testing positive even when deaths and serious complications are reduced to very small levels, possibly quite a long way into the future. I don't think that the world will need to do more than it ever did with annual flu outbreaks. People shouldn't travel or mix with others when they have flu or similar anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Yeah definitely, full vaccination will definitely help. One of the very few good things we've got going at the moment is the vaccine program

It would help if everyone with a capable smartphone download the NHS app, but only about 21 million downloads have been made, and some of those will be repeats; there are about 52 million adults in the UK, of whom 84% have smartphones, of whom about 85% have app-capable devices, so the number of installations could be around 52*0.84*0.85~=37 million users.

So fewer than 60% have the app installed. Laziness, ignorance, stupidity. Take your pick.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:10 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the NHS covid app thing.

If it had stopped randomly giving loading alerts for no reason then I wouldn't have uninstalled it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/nhs-covid-app-loading-bug-b1786683.html

I'll reinstall it when pubs are open again and places want people to sign in using the app but until then the app can fuck off.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ah, the NHS covid app thing.

If it had stopped randomly giving loading alerts for no reason then I wouldn't have uninstalled it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/nhs-covid-app-loading-bug-b1786683.html

I'll reinstall it when pubs are open again and places want people to sign in using the app but until then the app can fuck off.

But "randomly giving loading alerts for no reason" is not what the article you indicate is about. Your link is to the thing that Google fixed more than two weeks ago, and did not produce alerts, only a "loading" message.

The "notifications on phone, disappeared when app opened" "feature" was fixed three and a half months ago.

Both of those things were very easy to find out about, just by looking them up on the 'net.

This looks like just another exhibition of "I don't understand, I don't care, I don't know, I can't be bothered".

Pity.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both ste and I made a point of using the app every time we went to the pub etc.

I also got random alerts when I hadn't been anywhere because of the December lockdown.

Google fixing something 2 weeks ago when we've been on lockdow n for a month doesn't fix 4 months of random warnings that didn't give any info.

'Your area has a change of covid status' etc

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I also got random alerts when I hadn't been anywhere because of the December lockdown.

Google fixing something 2 weeks ago when we've been on lockdow n for a month doesn't fix 4 months of random warnings that didn't give any info.

'Your area has a change of covid status' etc

Was that the "random warning"? That your area has changed status? How many times did you see that? Do you want to report a new "bug"? Pling "Read latest advice".

Still, like I care. Not doing as much as you can - and using the app is one of the easy things - is not doing enough.

HTH.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:59 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the part of the population, like me, who refuse to do what an electronic device tells them.

So in the unlikely event I bought a smartphone and installed the app, I would most likely ignore it if it started telling me what to do. The more intrusively and noisily it did it, the less likely I'd be to do anything about it. If it got too annoying/strident, I'd turn it off.

I have tremendous difficulty with user operated checkouts. I've even deliberately left my seatbelt off all the way to work because it started beeping at me.

I let the house phone ring nine times before I'll answer it, even if I'm stood right next to it.

Also, on a personal note. I am long past giving a flying fuck about catching covid 19. I ran out of fucks in the final quarter of last year. I'm just going along with "lockdown" now because there's little option to do otherwise. I really couldn't care less if I got it and I'm not going to any particular effort to avoid doing so beyond what's legally enforceable. The face rag I am forced to wear at work and in the one shop I go in hasn't been washed for about a month. It will be soon but just because it's starting to smell funny.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:04 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
[quote=“chickenstrip”]I just question whether the government has done much to protect anyone. I would suggest that most people have done what they can to protect themselves thus far.

By following government advice.

(Is it my new iPad or am I doing something wrong wrt quotes lately?)[/quote]"

It's an aPple device therefore it struggles with intuitiveness. Rolling Eyes

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I made a point of signing a name whenever I went to the pub too. Not my own mind, either the pub manager's or Paulie 'three-sheds' who lives opposite me. Is there any wonder track and trace failed? Very Happy (allegedly...)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:30 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
But "randomly giving loading alerts for no reason" is not what the article you indicate is about. Your link is to the thing that Google fixed more than two weeks ago, and did not produce alerts, only a "loading" message.

The article is about the app giving loading alerts:
"Users of the NHS Covid-19 app are seeing a strange – and annoying – message telling them the app is loading."

As far as I'm concerned, alerts, notifications and messages are all the same thing because the phone goes beep beep and there's text at the top of the screen.

However it bothering me with the random loading notifications must have been a couple of months ago. I kept going with the app for ages and ignored the annoying notifications but eventually got fed up with them and uninstalled the app. That article was just the first one I could find that sounded like what the problems I'd had with it.

Riejufixing wrote:
Both of those things were very easy to find out about, just by looking them up on the 'net.

It was very easy to find out that other people were having the same problem but that doesn't help fix anything.

Riejufixing wrote:
This looks like just another exhibition of "I don't understand, I don't care, I don't know, I can't be bothered".

No. I'm pretty sure I was a lot more patient with the annoying notifications that many other people would have been. The app is irrelevant when no where's open because signing into a couple of places was all I needed it for. It will be reinstalled when I need it but until then I'll let other people deal with whatever the latest problems the app is having.

In terms of my understanding, I understood was that it was giving unnecessary annoying notifications

Then we move onto whether or not I care. If use of the NHS app is a measure of how much someone cares, the fact I installed it and used it for ages means I care more than those who've never installed it.

You're right in saying that I don't know. I know nothing about the inner workings of apps and whatever bugs do or don't mean. Using the NHS Covid app shouldn't need the user to be knowledgeable about such things

Riejufixing wrote:
Not doing as much as you can - and using the app is one of the easy things - is not doing enough.

If it worked better I'd be happy to use it. But as I said, I've absolutely no need for the app at the moment so there's no need for me to put up with its shoddiness.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the app but only when my bluetooth is on. I'm not spending much time around people I don't know, and I always wear an N95 mask outside of the house so it's a bit pointless for me. Knowing I have been exposed is useless to me, I'm more interested in avoiding exposure and transmission in the first place. I started wearing a mask and using alcohol gel at the very start of the pandemic for this very reason!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:02 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I started wearing a mask and using alcohol gel at the very start of the pandemic for this very reason!

Some of us had to start the first lockdown quarantining due to a little bastard who had a dry cough and that little bastard doesn't even know what social distancing is!! Evil or Very Mad

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Also, on a personal note. I am long past giving a flying fuck about catching covid 19.

You catch the virus, not necessarily COVID-19. You should know that by now. I also could not care less if you get the virus, or COVID-19. I do care that you don't do all you can to prevent spreading it. Disgraceful.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
because we have a significant minority of utter, utter wankers who did not and still don't keep to the basic rules,

I think these wankers are increasing in popularity because we're being told about them.

Unlike most "hate the people" stories which paint an image of what not to do (e.g. criminals, dole grabbers, etc), the incidences of covid party goers and their ilk are simply adding motivation for others to break the rules too, because nobody wants lockdown, and "if they're doing it then so will I!"

It once again creates an interesting question about the role of the news media, and whether the stuff they broadcast is really for the public good or not.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
However it bothering me with the random loading notifications must have been a couple of months ago.

Very interesting, since the "loading" issue was only reported/fixed in mid-January.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Unlike most "hate the people" stories which paint an image of what not to do (e.g. criminals, dole grabbers, etc), the incidences of covid party goers and their ilk are simply adding motivation for others to break the rules too, because nobody wants lockdown, and "if they're doing it then so will I!"

The "if they're doing it then so will I" attitude to breaking lockdown restrictions can be tracked and traced back to May last year when someone travelled to Barnard Castle to test their eye sight and wasn't immediately hung, drawn and quartered (or fired).

Last edited by Ste on 12:37 - 02 Feb 2021; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:36 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Ste wrote:
However it bothering me with the random loading notifications must have been a couple of months ago.

Very interesting, since the "loading" issue was only reported/fixed in mid-January.

Hmmm well I don't know, maybe it was weeks rather than months, it seems like ages ago though.

Looking in Android apparently I last used the app 3 weeks ago but I know it was pissing me off with unnecessary alerts / notifications / messages for a while before I gave up on hoping that it would be fixed.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Ah, so. China had a wokdown that was certainly the way to go. It fixed their problem. Here? Loads of thick stupid fuckers didn't take any notice, leading to reduction in efficiacy.

Actually just snorted my coffee with "China had a wokdown" Laughing

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I have tremendous difficulty with user operated checkouts.

You and me both, I work in IT, I have done for 26 years, I've put in the most complicated systems and automation processes, but they fail me.

Simple things like placing your bag down, my bag is invalid, because as I ride a motorbike I have a rucksack, it's too heavy.

I have kids and the youngest likes them sticker packs, you can scan them, but they don't recognise.

I just don't bother and queue up, I'd rather wait and have someone do it for me and hope that they keep their job.

The last time I flew , they had put the same shxt at Manchester Airport. I nearly exploded. I warned them, i'd crash it. I did.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4