Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question- helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
biker21 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Scorpion EXO 490 in matt black as my first helmet recently. It's pretty cheap at £109.99 and is ECE certified.

I have since modified mine by removing the integrated sun-visor (simply pulling it off it's rails and I have got a Pinlock visor insert added and honestly that is well worth the £29.99.

I also changed to a lightly smoked/ tinted visor and to be honest I feel like I can see fine in low-light situations but if it gets too dark I also just pull the visor up. I only drive on 30 - 50 mph roads anyway on my commute.

I really like the helmet, it feels comfortable after being broken in. Before it settled it really pushed in my cheeks but now it feels fine. One big plus for me is the ratchet-strap instead of double D-rings, but that is a personal preference.

I would recommend it as a cheap but good quality option. Personally though I already see the benefit in a really quiet helmet just for quality of life so I will be upgrading to a Schuberth C4 Pro in a few months but the Scorpion will be kept as a spare or pillion helmet.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Question- helmet Reply with quote

biker21 wrote:

Do you have maybe a worth sharing brand for helmets?

A what now?

The best brand of helmet is the one that fits your head the best. It's the most important consideration bar none. In short, you need to try some on and get to know what works for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few times (prior to the lockdowns) I've been quite prepared to spend >£200 on a decent helmet and I've yet to find a top-end brand that I felt comfortable wearing so I'll echo arry: fit > all.

That being said if you have a choice the other things to look for is a Pinlock compatible visor and replaceable visor plates (the rotating hinge bits that the visor clips to) if you're a clumsy fucker like me that breaks things swapping from a summer to winter visor!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A few times (prior to the lockdowns) I've been quite prepared to spend >£200 on a decent helmet and I've yet to find a top-end brand that I felt comfortable wearing so I'll echo arry: fit > all.

That being said if you have a choice the other things to look for is a Pinlock compatible visor and replaceable visor plates (the rotating hinge bits that the visor clips to) if you're a clumsy fucker like me that breaks things swapping from a summer to winter visor!

That reminds me that I forgot to mention that I broke the spring in the quick-change mechanism on my Scorpion. Put in an e-mail to Scorpion and they sent out a spare part free of charge. Learned my lesson: have the dainty touch of Mother Theresa and stop being a fat-handed-twat Embarassed

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:53 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Question- helmet Reply with quote

biker21 wrote:
Do you have maybe a worth sharing brand for helmets?

How about these ones? https://www.araihelmet.eu/en/collection

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:00 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS are probably quite underrated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1