Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sport watches

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
biker21 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:49 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Sport watches Reply with quote

biker21 wrote:
Hi! Are there any experienced ones in the topic of sport watches? Do you maybe own one? Which brand would you recommend?

Suck my veiny bang-stick.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

F91-W tis he only watch the world needs.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:15 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wear a watch because most of the walking about I do is concurrent with me shoving my arm into a cows rectum to above the elbow while wearing a long glove.

Do you have any suggestions for a suitable fitness tracker?

Also most watch straps no longer fit round my wrist if I'm grip stuff with my hands.

Both are genuine problems.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:33 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I can't wear a watch because most of the walking about I do is concurrent with me shoving my arm into a cows rectum to above the elbow while wearing a long glove.

Do you have any suggestions for a suitable fitness tracker?

Also most watch straps no longer fit round my wrist if I'm grip stuff with my hands.

Both are genuine problems.

Can I suggest a Dive Computer?

In Day-Glo Phase for easier recovery from a big Coo's Clatter should you become detached from each other.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

solar powered gshock if you want something that can take a beating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:00 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolex Submariner.

Takes a proper beating. Tough as fuck, and works out free if you hold onto it for a couple of years.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Rolex Submariner.

Takes a proper beating. Tough as fuck, and works out free if you hold onto it for a couple of years.

but do they stock them in argos Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Rolex Submariner.

Tell that to a mate of mine that had a ~£5k claim on his home insurance after he dropped his SM off the kitchen side onto a soft wooden floor and Rolex took him to the absolute cleaners. Movement became unreliable and it would stop randomly, so off back for servicing it went.

To add insult to injury, they wouldn't work on his watch until it was back on its original bracelet but he realised he was struggling to get that back on at one end as one of the lugs had bent ever so slightly when he took the bracelet off in the first place. New middle case required at £3800 plus VAT. They also wouldn't release the watch back to him with a slightly scratched pusher as - well - that'll compromise the water resistance; here sir, have another £400 on top for pusher and crown.

It was within its 5 year warranty but because it'd been dropped (all of 3 feet onto a soft ish floor) they null and voided that and just lumped him the big bill for his own sky-rocket to sort out.

Yeah, tough as nails and depreciation proof Laughing

Oh, and if you think you're walking into a Rolex AD and buying an SM straight off the bat you're having a laugh. You'll be mocked and told to get to back of the queue. That's at best. At worst you'll be told you won't even get onto the queue unless you buy some lesser Rolex models first (that you can definitely flip and make money on, honest.... NOT) before they'll even put you in line.

Quote:
MODEL AVAILABILTY
All Rolex watches are assembled by hand with the utmost care to ensure exceptional quality. Such high standards naturally restrict Rolex production capacity and, at times, the demand for Rolex watches outpaces this capacity.

Therefore, the availability of certain models may be limited. New Rolex watches are exclusively sold by Official Rolex Jewelers, who receive regular deliveries and independently manage the allocation and sales of watches to customers.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can buy Rolexes in Chinatown in Singapore for about $30, I've seen them.

Some even turn up on Gumtree. Shocked Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
But you can buy Rolexes in Chinatown in Singapore for about $30, I've seen them.

What a load of Bolex! Laughing

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/explorerii-jpeg.874018/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

They sell High-End Brightlines too. 🤣

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:48 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:
Rolex Submariner.

Tell that to a mate of mine that had a ~£5k claim on his home insurance after he dropped his SM off the kitchen side onto a soft wooden floor and Rolex took him to the absolute cleaners. Movement became unreliable and it would stop randomly, so off back for servicing it went.

To add insult to injury, they wouldn't work on his watch until it was back on its original bracelet but he realised he was struggling to get that back on at one end as one of the lugs had bent ever so slightly when he took the bracelet off in the first place. New middle case required at £3800 plus VAT. They also wouldn't release the watch back to him with a slightly scratched pusher as - well - that'll compromise the water resistance; here sir, have another £400 on top for pusher and crown.

It was within its 5 year warranty but because it'd been dropped (all of 3 feet onto a soft ish floor) they null and voided that and just lumped him the big bill for his own sky-rocket to sort out.

Yeah, tough as nails and depreciation proof Laughing

Oh, and if you think you're walking into a Rolex AD and buying an SM straight off the bat you're having a laugh. You'll be mocked and told to get to back of the queue. That's at best. At worst you'll be told you won't even get onto the queue unless you buy some lesser Rolex models first (that you can definitely flip and make money on, honest.... NOT) before they'll even put you in line.

Quote:
MODEL AVAILABILTY
All Rolex watches are assembled by hand with the utmost care to ensure exceptional quality. Such high standards naturally restrict Rolex production capacity and, at times, the demand for Rolex watches outpaces this capacity.

Therefore, the availability of certain models may be limited. New Rolex watches are exclusively sold by Official Rolex Jewelers, who receive regular deliveries and independently manage the allocation and sales of watches to customers.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Not saying I don't believe that , but,,

He bent a lug ? On a Submariner ? he'd have needed a fairly decent sized hammer mate, not way he bent it dropping it in his kitchen.

The abuse mine has had in the last ten yrs is unreal, and a quick polish would have it looking lik new.

As for servicing I would hate to use Rolex, I've used them for a couple before and they were a pain in the arse. They replaced hands on a vintage without asking first and it cost me 3k in dropped value. Plent independants can do it.

But on your main point, they really are tough as fuck and take a proper beating.

And yes, they never go down in value if you hold on to them for a while, especially just now as Rolex are being dicks and restricting supply
Had a massive argument with an AD recently after being dicked about.

7k new and worth 13k when you take it out the shop door.?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

Not saying I don't believe that , but,,

He bent a lug ? On a Submariner ? he'd have needed a fairly decent sized hammer mate, not way he bent it dropping it in his kitchen.

Bent the lug taking the bracelet off with a spring bar tool! No, I am not joking. 2015 SM.

Quote:
The abuse mine has had in the last ten yrs is unreal, and a quick polish would have it looking lik new.

TBF, I have a Japanese Miyota powered chineseium made homage watch that I could say the same for.

Quote:
As for servicing I would hate to use Rolex, I've used them for a couple before and they were a pain in the arse. They replaced hands on a vintage without asking first and it cost me 3k in dropped value. Plent independants can do it.

It went there because it was essentially a warranty job.... until they bent him over.

Quote:
But on your main point, they really are tough as fuck and take a proper beating.

Not in this case (excusing the pun), it seems.

Quote:
And yes, they never go down in value if you hold on to them for a while, especially just now as Rolex are being dicks and restricting supply
Had a massive argument with an AD recently after being dicked about.

7k new and worth 13k when you take it out the shop door.?

Agreed - but I'd still never jump through the hoops to go buy one Thumbs Up

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah me neither Told them to fuck off and bought a Grand Seiko instead lol.

I do like em though. Just hate the company and the dealers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a stainless Oyster Perpetual Datejust back in the 80's/90's. I can't say I ever really liked it that much. Hated that magnifying date window and wasn't that enamoured with the design but I wanted Rolex and that was in my price range. Snobbishness really.

I've found much nicer looking watches at a fraction of the price and I'm not likely to get them ripped off my arm by a mad scooter thieverist.

It's a bit sad that with all the watches I have, my go to day to day is a Fossil quartz jobbie.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

I love a GS. I don't have one but I've been eyeing up a red dial for ages, just not got round to pulling the trigger.

Or the Urushi dialled Seiko - SARD011. So cheap for the work they've put into it, and looks amazing IMO.

I have too many watches already but can't seem to stop buying them.....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I know, I'm the same and now I've started buying pocket watches. Time to get a waistcoat so I can wear a watch and chain over my fat belly. Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a big overlap between people who like bikes and watches?
Am quite intrigued at the apparent extensive watch interest here - each to his own, but personally I couldn't be less bovvered about watches... I own exactly one fairly cheap thing which is strapped to my wrist and which serves its purpose by telling me the time - it's a Citizen apparently - I know only because I've just checked. Wink

Just - meh.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Is there a big overlap between people who like bikes and watches?
Am quite intrigued at the apparent extensive watch interest here - each to his own, but personally I couldn't be less bovvered about watches... I own exactly one fairly cheap thing which is strapped to my wrist and which serves its purpose by telling me the time - it's a Citizen apparently - I know only because I've just checked. Wink

Just - meh.

It's definitely a possibility; it's not much to suggest both are a mindfulness of the artform of mechanical beauty.

But there's different types of bikers in the way there's different types of car enthusiasts. What appeals to one won't appeal to the rest.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people who appreciate cars or bikes for the engine or mechanicals tend to appreciate proper watches.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love everything mechanical.

A beautiful steam reciprocating engine will give me more of a hard on than a blow job from ....................

https://compound.modelengines.info/images/DSCF2745apc.JPG

Wub

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:11 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:

I love a GS. I don't have one but I've been eyeing up a red dial for ages, just not got round to pulling the trigger.

Or the Urushi dialled Seiko - SARD011. So cheap for the work they've put into it, and looks amazing IMO.

I bought a GS spring drive the other month. The sweep is hypnotising lol.

Yup, engines in all forms do it for me.

What does too many watches mean ?? not familiar with that concept,!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well about 4 years ago I bought this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50870560066_a73b85008d_c.jpg

To go in a collection that was already ~7 strong.

We talk about purchases such as this, cos you know, bigly money and what's mine is hers etc.... And she says hey look you can buy it no problem, but how about laying off buying any more? I said....what, ever?! She said, no just for a sensible period, say - 5 years? I said, yeah, I think that makes sense. Think I can do that....

Aaaand here we are 4 years later and I have been 'given' one watch by a mate, 'found' another watch hiding in a cubby hole in my 911 which I 'must see if I can find the previous owners' details to give back', bought one to replace a vintage Seiko that doesn't work any more (just needs a service Shhh! ) and I have one watch sat in another cubby hole in the 911, one sat in my motorcycle luggage, one sat in a Seiko box which she thinks is empty in my watch box, and 2 at a mate's place which I've had sent there for safety's sake Laughing

Yeah, I don't think I need any more.....except a Type B Fleiger and a Tudor Heritage Chrono..... and a C60 Sapphire diver, and a supercompressor..... Yeah there's a few left to get.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:55 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice I do like an IWC

Portofino for me likes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2