Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Bike for occasional trips and general use

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

90Ninety
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:50 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Which Bike for occasional trips and general use Reply with quote

Short story; which bike would you pick for budget touring ( weekend/ 5-day )

Long story ;

Having rode an XJ6n (FZ6R Naked ) Since new in 2009 , sadly I just have been actually experiencing the limitations of the bike . Despite being undeterred by the small drawbacks noted on the reviews on MCN, I purchased the bike new , and cannot fault it for commuting, A-road riding and occasional countryside stints .
However during my trip to the lake district loop and Yorkshire dale loop , clocking over 1KM , those aformentioned drawbacks really started to haunt me . While the bike is great on the twists ( it really is great ), the motorways become an absolute nightmare. I still find myself looking for an extra gear, even after owning the bike for over 10 years . The vibration of the bike in the footpegs is 'pins an neeedles' inducing and numbing. The seat is fine for a few hours, then numbs becomes ass numbing, until you can barely feel your legs. The bike seems very sensitive to wind and vortexes by oncoming vehicles . There is no screen so getting battered by wind is not fun . Cant really fit much on the bike either

I loved the simplicity of the bike though great sound, easy to change parts, lightweight, easy to maintain ect . Though I am really itching for longer journy stints once again .

Some bikes I have been looking at
Multistrada ( Pre 2010 for budget reasons )
VStrom
Versys
Triumpth tiger ( old one under 2500 )

I know its a vague question but, which bike is good for budget touring . That is most comfortable , which would you advise ?

Thanx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

90Ninety
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:52 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Getting Old? Reply with quote

Not sure maybe im getting old ? The bike feels so revvy/busy , is this because of the 600CC engine being small , or just 'Street Tuned' . I am hoping for something more relaxed at motorway speeds , while keeping some sporty characteristics of the XJ/FZR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through a lot of bikes and never really found anything truly all day comfortable. If it's not your arse it'll be your back, or wrists, or neck.

I find upright bikes worse for being a pain in the arse, the more upright the worse. I did a day on a Harley a few years back and by about the two hour mark I was looking for any excuse to stand up - of course with pegs forward and bars askew it is near impossible to ride standing up.

Buzzy engine? You want big and many cylinders for smoothness in my experience. Budget 600's are the worst, twins more vibrate than buzz - lower frequency, less annoying. Current 750 v-twin is actually quite nice on the motorway. Diversion 900 and K1300GT were both creamy smooth too.

I've learned I don't really have a type - all bikes have their quirks. I've done whole days riding on every single bike I've owned. Pick the one that makes your willy tingle, learn to deal with the quirks Mr. Green

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list the Vstrom might be most likely, everyone is different though.
I can't stand longer runs on anything with a sportsbike riding position it would cripple my wrists and back most likely.
The best mile eater I ever had was probably a naked Bandit 1200 - not a touring style bike either but a decent compromise for everything encountered.

Thing is you aren't only sat on motorway or swooping along nice bendy road a lot of the time is slow traffic with limited overtaking opportunities at 50mph or less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawazaki zzr1100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's in budget, z1000sx eats miles.
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tracer 700 for a couple of years, a good comfortable all rounder, quick and comfortable, worth looking at.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:50 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzuki gsx 1250 fa with full luggage is a budget king.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

650 V Strom ticks all the boxes. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but I have other bikes for kicks. For some reason I can't bring myself to sell it.

+
Undesirable
Cheap, mine was £1450.
Economical, 60mpg. 250 mile range.
Surprisingly good engine and gearbox.
Great for pillions.
Takes luggage well.
Good manners. Easy going.
Cheap spares

-
Undesirable
Ugly as sin
Bit dull
Suzuki build quality
Front brakes are definitely not the best
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:06 - 08 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

as already said, id be looking at a 1000cc bike at least as they just cruise on a motorway.

In truth no bikes are fun at high speeds on a motorway hour after hour, even worse if the weather plays up.
You need something with fairings and screen, which reduces the buffeting of the wind.

I test rode lots of bikes before buying my latest ride and the Versys you mentioned is underpowered i thought.
My mate has a Vstrom and we travel together a fair bit, ive never road it but he loves it.
In fact hes just changed his 2009 650 Vstrom for a 2019 1000cc one.

Of the ones you list, i would say either the Vstrom or the Tiger
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1