Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's the angle on this?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:38 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: What's the angle on this? Reply with quote

I received a weird letter today saying it was from a local property investor interesting in buying my house.

The thing is, it's been scrawled on a piece of yellow A4 in red biro. No return address, just a first name and mobile number.

The envelope was similarly scrawled in the same pen. Address only, no name. Second class stamp attached.

Couple of things worth noting. 1) It's an Edinburgh post mark and I'm in Cumbria. 2) They went to mis-spell the town name then corrected themselves, there is a similar sounding town in the next county which is spelled slightly differently. Anyone local would be fully aware of this because if you get it wrong, your post goes awry. Post code was correct though.

If it had been a note enquiring about buying a derelict vehicle they'd seen mouldering in my drive I'd have understood, but buying my whole house?

This must be an elaborate scam but I can't work out what? None of the neighbours have had one.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fLw-r8UuAXIq4Lphvp7_P125g-qvgb46s_UWvN_0QtHHwpxCWxHIP2vxRDnMZZATL5oM4rpMtccP39L0SPENlKq-PnceDki0XSEKIvceNV-h8QjZ58OuIqBz8gE7fY4w3YsZUhlyZdWh8TV1HVm89v=w495-h672-no

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's most likely to be a genuine rip-off. I assume your house looks, from any grotty bits outside, or mouldering garden accoutrements, that whoever lives there can't afford to keep it spick and span, so may be in trouble, and open to being taken advantage of.

So he'd like to buy your house, pay you as little as possible (including helpfully wiping your debts for you), certainly well below "market rate", while telling you what a big favour he's doing for you, so he can do it up and make a big profit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:56 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, mine is probably the best on the row. It's the end terrace, has been extended and is the only one with offroad parking.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit, I'd be leery.
Red pen. Folded arms
Wait to see if further correspondence arrives.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone on bcf found out your real name etc?

I'd just fuck it off but keep the letter for fingerprint::/genetic analysis purposes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:45 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Has anyone on bcf found out your real name etc?

I'd just fuck it off but keep the letter for fingerprint::/genetic analysis purposes.

No name on it, just the address and a "dear Sir/Madam".

Odd.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In fairness, mine is probably the best on the row. It's the end terrace, has been extended and is the only one with offroad parking.
P'raps he's done the whole lot. Ask your neighbours. I have had several such letters, and usually bin them. I did think about going 141number and saying "It's about the house", but if I'm the only one, it would be a giveaway. Say "You can hae it for (insert real market value + 20% or so).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Got to admit, I'd be leery.
Red pen. Folded arms
Wait to see if further correspondence arrives.

It is doubtless somene wanting to perpetrate a rip-off.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring them up and accept their first offer, or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a ransom letter, you've got there. Thinking

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Property investor' my arse.
Chancer more like

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:04 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you wanted to ensure you were the last person on earth I was likely to sell my house to, the only better way would have been to write the same letter but using individual words cut out of a variety of different newspapers and glued on.

Fucking Kevin!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you 100% sure it's written in biro and not printed to look like it's written in biro?

The lack of name on the envelope and the non-specific letter may me wonder if it's been sent to loads of ppl.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:09 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope It's handwritten. The address on the envelope is also handwritten, the paper is indented and even has errors scored out.

It has a sticky-backed 2nd class stamp affixed.

The number 7 and 0 are scored-through in the European style but the number 1 is a single line without a "hat" in the UK style.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, if you wanted to ensure you were the last person on earth I was likely to sell my house to, the only better way would have been to write the same letter but using individual words cut out of a variety of different newspapers and glued on.

Fucking Kevin!

If you don't like fucking Kevin,

You should stop doing it.

This is added in case anyone needs it:

HUMOUR

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be relevant:

1) I have been eyeing a very well-worn classic BMW boxer owned by someone locally, for years. It's a real beauty, and he just leaves it in his front garden to rot. I don't know him and have never even seen him. Every time I walk past his house (which is very infrequently) I mull over writing a letter enquiring about buying his bike, and putting it through his door. Every single time, I've felt too awkward about it to go through with this plan. I just imagine how weird it would be to receive a letter like that myself, and how suspicious I would feel.

2) I know someone (who lives in Scotland, funnily enough) who makes his way in the world buying up dilapidated properties and doing them up before selling them. He's someone from a wealthy background who went off the wagon rather spectacularly a few years ago. A letter like the one you received is something I'd imagine him doing. He's someone who was always fun but dangerous to be around.

In short, I can't come to any firm conclusions about the letter. It could be genuine, but even if it is, it's doubtful whether following it up would be to your benefit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:44 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah. My house is not for sale. It has a built in garage AND a brick-built outhouse, both of which are dry, have lighting and electric and are rammed full of motorcycles and motorcycle related stuff. It will fully belong to me in the next 6 or 7 years.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you score out the phone number? Let Ste loose with it and I'm sure you will never be bothered again. Laughing

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:22 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you call a scam.

He intends to offer you less money than your house is worth.

For the negative equity folk, he may buy your house and let you stay as a tenant.

It may be exploitative business practise, but if he offers 100 people 70% of the value of their house, he may get some people go for it if they don't know the true market value or need the money. I don't think that's illegal.

Think of him as a professional tyre kicker who will come round and give you a low offer.

I'd be interested to see how low below market rate he will go.

I had similar note through my door when I lived in an area that would be attractive to landlords. Cheap houses that they could get a good rental return on that maybe needed a bit of work, which would put off a lot of buyers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:26 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they HAND wrote the letters? In red biro?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:34 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if handwritten gets a better response rate than pre-printed flyers saying

"we buy any house below market rate"

It's like we-buy-any-car just for houses.

How far below market rate is scandalous, I dont know.

The bit I'm curious about is does he scout houses using google maps street view, or does he come to your area for some reason sometimes, which could explain why his post mark is not local.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the property I'm now was bought because my missus liked it and decided to stick a note through the door to see if they want to sell it.

did any of your neighbours get a similar letter?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The number 7 and 0 are scored-through in the European style but the number 1 is a single line without a "hat" in the UK style.

That can be a sign of someone who's been in the Forces and had to keep Radio logs. When you are scribbling batco at a silly speed in the dark it's the only way to know later if you meant 0 or o or 7 or T. Confusing them can make decoding a bit of a cock.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:52 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, if it looked like a generic printed mailshot it would have right into the bin. Instead, you're interested enough to post it on here and discuss. So the tactic worked to get your attention.

So, assuming it is genuine, "Kevin" could be looking to buy up properties to rent out. If your one is the most desirable on the street then it could attract a 20% premium for rent whilst only attracting a 10% premium for purchase price. Those numbers are entirely made up by the way, I have no idea about property prices or rental prices in Cumbria.

So as a way to stand out, the tactic worked. The problem is it stands out by looking like a scam or a mentalist.

Still, at least it looks human. I would be tempted to give him a call just to find out what his game is and discuss the approach. Would be an interesting chat if nothing else. Number would be withheld though, in case he's a mentalist.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:05 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Still, at least it looks human. I would be tempted to give him a call just to find out what his game is and discuss the approach. Would be an interesting chat if nothing else. Number would be withheld though, in case he's a mentalist.

He freaked my wife out. She thought some nutter had been poking about the house while we were out.

It's only one step above cutting out the individual words from a newspaper and sticking them on... Or writing in a Northern Irish accent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2