Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garden scissors (pruners), what's the tool to get?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Garden scissors (pruners), what's the tool to get? Reply with quote

My grandfather asked me to get him some new garden scissors (pruners). Now, he is an old man and his strenght isn't what it used to be, so I was googling around and found some Fiskars ''PowerGear X PX93'' scissors that promise ease of use thanks to its desing, making cutting twigs three times easier. Fiskars also has 25 years warranty on that product and they have never failed me before. My question is though, do these types of ''gearing assisted'' scissors (pruners) even work or is it just a gimmick?

What do you use to keep your garden nice and well pruned?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secateurs : Felco. I’ve had mine at least 35 years and they’re still going strong.

Fiskar make some of the best blades.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Garden scissors (pruners), what's the tool to get? Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

the missus Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Garden scissors (pruners), what's the tool to get? Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
My grandfather asked me to get him some new garden scissors (pruners). Now, he is an old man and his strenght isn't what it used to be, so I was googling around and found some Fiskars ''PowerGear X PX93'' scissors that promise ease of use thanks to its desing, making cutting twigs three times easier. Fiskars also has 25 years warranty on that product and they have never failed me before. My question is though, do these types of ''gearing assisted'' scissors (pruners) even work or is it just a gimmick?

"Bypass" or "Rollcut" items are less effort. However, it must be said: "What MAKE or MODEL of TWIGS is he going to WANT to CUT, What CC are they, you BCF workshop n00b??????!!!!?????"

Me, I use a variety of tools, and what you want to cut dictates what you will be best off using.

So.

Green, or otherwise? Shoots, twigs, limbs or branches?

Old hands with creaky knuckles should probably have different tools for various jobs. "Bypass" secateurs for thin, green stuff, and "anvil" rollcut sorts for woodier stems. I discount "ratchet" types, because it's a lot better to have another tool for thicker stuff, e.g. "loppers", for things that don't cut easily, whatever diameter. The only difference I have found between a £2.99 pair of Lidl "Gardenline" secateurs and expensive ones is the look and the longevity. I rather think, on balance, that I would rather have 10 £1.99p pairs of secateurs trhan one £30 pair. Sure, if you give them a squeeze, the alloy handles may eventually break, but so will expensive alloy handles. Expensive ones may increase "pride of ownership", though, and do look nice. They aren't always so comfortable!

So, for small twigs, any sort of bypass secateurs. For anything that's harder, some loppers. When the going gets tough (40mm, gove or take), then maybe a ratchet lopper, or one with extendable handles, to increase leverage. However, there's a problem - the longer the handle, the more leverage, BUT the further qapart the grips have to be to open the jaws to admit the branch. If that's too big - "pruning saw". Pull type. Straight are easier on the hands than curved. Job done!

Next, how is the detritus to be disposed of? Bonfire, OK , let it dry a bit, then burn it. Need to cut it small? Ith will be hurtful to cut everything up into 4" lengthes to fit in bags, or the "green bin". There, an electric shredder is very, very useful.

So, what does he actually want to do Smile ?

Edit: prices. Plus if you've got 10 pairs, you can usually find at least one of them.

Edit: This sort of shredder: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-Stihl-Garden-Shredder-GE150/233794083983?hash=item366f369c8f:g:tMQAAOSwYV5fvDQV

I've got one, but it hasn't got that silly black box thing at the bottom, I use woven plastic bags.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 15:10 - 06 Feb 2021; edited 3 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:31 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't go far wrong with those fiskars. It would be a lovely gift. I'd be pleased with them.

If his hands are really poor, you get electric ones these days. However, if he asked you for a new set of secateurs, that's not what he wants and he obviously feels he can still use normal ones.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Secateurs : Felco. I’ve had mine at least 35 years and they’re still going strong.

Fiskar make some of the best blades.

This.
They're what most pros use.
Every part is replaceable if you manage to dame them.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If his hands are really poor, you get electric ones these days. However, if he asked you for a new set of secateurs, that's not what he wants and he obviously feels he can still use normal ones.

I bought my mum (80s) a pair of rechargeable ones a couple of years ago and she thinks they're brilliant. She'd never heard of electric secateurs before, which may well be the case with the OP's grandfather

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He cuts mainly dead twigs/branches of 10-20mm in diameter (apple, walnut, cherry trees), for everything above that he's got a hand saw. Sawing makes him no issues. He does own two handed lever scissors (pruners/secateurs) also, but those are not very practical when you're on a ladder high up in the tree crown.

I also considered power assisted scissors (pruners/secateurs), but he is not a big fan of battery powered machinery. He is aware of the technology though.

What does he do with all the dead wood once it's cut off the trees? He puts it on a pile, then when there's enough of it he uses a small axe to cut everything down to compostable size.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
He cuts mainly dead twigs/branches of 10-20mm in diameter (apple, walnut, cherry trees)

Perhaps sir can get these topical secaturs in his country, or import them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corona-Carbon-Steel-Non-Stick-Coating-Pruners/272630217755?epid=14021947062&hash=item3f7a06fc1b:g:riIAAOSwu2lf-LgC
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1