Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

a nation of snitches

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: a nation of snitches Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/thousands-of-drivers-are-prosecuted-after-angry-motorists-submit-dash-cam-clips-to-police/ar-BB1dppk2

i wouldnt be surprised, if in a few years time, things like
powerful bikes become redundant.

online dashcams that measure speed of vehicles, and upload offending evidence automatically, or similar technology, are probably in the pipeline. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:45 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure if you are going to be prosecuted in court on the basis of CCTV footage, you are required to be given sight of the entire, original footage, not just selected clips. I can't see most people in the habit of grassing other drivers up keeping the original SD card until they are sure it wont be required in court.

I'm pretty sure you can also insist on the person grassing you up attending the court case for cross examination as to the time, date and conditions leading up to them collecting that footage.

If either the original footage or the person who took it is not forthcoming, I can't see a prosecution succeeding.

I'd imagine most of these "prosecutions" are actually people accepting a FPN or driver improvement course.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:49 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all likely to come back and bite those who do it on the arse, especially "angry" ones.

Wait until the authorities start encouraging people's kids to grass on their parents for relatively minor misdemeanours, including speech. Then society will be in real trouble.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:10 - 06 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Wait until the authorities start encouraging people's kids to grass on their parents for relatively minor misdemeanours, including speech. Then society will be in real trouble.

This again Sad

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:46 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone grassed on the person who nicked my bike.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'd imagine most of these "prosecutions" are actually people accepting a FPN or driver improvement course.

Yep, much like me. Went up the inside of a rolling queue behind two lorries side-by-side overtaking on a hill. (M-way, 2 lane)
Nearside lorry saw me and moved over and straddled the hard shoulder , allowing me to nip between and carry on. I waved thanks. NO kittens killed.

Next week, Section 172 arrives in post box.

Agreed to a driver improvement course. Didn't fancy my chances with a magistrate thankyou...

Must have been a driver following / or lorry dash cam handed to police. Never mind Rolling Eyes

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nation of "snitches"? Would you "snitch on" someone who damaged your vehicle through their error? Someone who stole it (as above)? A drunk diriver, a vandal, a wife-beater, a shoplifter, someone doing anti-social things, a mugger, a burglar or worse? Someone who knocked you off your motorbike? Someone who ambushed you on your bike and beat you up?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Went up the inside of a rolling queue behind two lorries side-by-side overtaking on a hill. (M-way, 2 lane)
Nearside lorry saw me and moved over and straddled the hard shoulder , allowing me to nip between and carry on. I waved thanks. NO kittens killed.

Next week, Section 172 arrives in post box.

Interesting, what was the intended pprosecution?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

"Fleetnews" and others have some information:

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2020/11/27/more-than-50-000-dash-cam-videos-sent-to-police-says-what-car

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Interesting, what was the intended pprosecution?

Careless driving IIRC...

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nation of snitches and grasses things makes me laugh.

Snitching or grassing, is informing of your friends, not the reporting of criminal behaviour by others.

I too have seen some really down right dangerous driving.

Keighley town centre on Saturday night was always a real treat as I drove through. Where the locals practiced priorité a gauche and took fun at driving through all the traffic lights whilst on red in excess of 50mph.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/18711299.watch-dangerous-driver-keighley-gets-two-year-ban

I had the fun of looking inside someone's head after they were runover back in around 2008, this was outside the curry house as you turn left to go towards Haworth.

Not to be outdone by the Keighley locals, their country cousins on the road through to Halifax, past the flapits and towards Denholme, I would always look forward to the obviously pxxxxd driver.

You sort have a couple of options as they weave across the road or drive at 29miles and hour and brake heavily, stay back and protect the car or take a massive wide berth and get past them.

I do have a dash cam and I would gladly upload and yes, they can view my entire sdcard, because I don't drive like a knob.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
because I don't drive like a knob.

You don't break any traffic rules, even out on a bike? Really?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:

Snitching or grassing, is informing of your friends, not the reporting of criminal behaviour by others.

Actually the definition of a snitch is "inform on someone".

Could be anyone, a stranger. Informing on your friends generally makes you a cunt.

HTH

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Actually the definition of a snitch is "inform on someone".

Could be anyone, a stranger. Informing on your friends generally makes you a cunt.

Really? In all cases, would you say?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, I was always brought up never to be a grass. I remember as a child my brother broke the VCR in the living room and when my parents questioned us I told them it was him. My brother got a slap across the coupon for breaking it and then I got a slap across the coupon for being a grass.

Think this might be similar for other people who had working class parents.

For me it depends on the gravity of the crime. If it's a thieving scrote I am gonna grass. If it is just someone being a bit of a cunt on the road I might be angry at the time but it really isn't worth my time after the fact to go to the hassle of reporting it. My free time has a value attached to it.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep it in context with the OP: dashcams.

Hardly talking about kids under the patio now are we?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:
My free time has a value attached to it.

With age comes wisdom.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
My free time has a value attached to it.

With age comes wisdom.

No wisdom here mate, I did buy a Chinese bike after all Embarassed

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, I was always brought up never to be a grass. I remember as a child my brother broke the VCR in the living room and when my parents questioned us I told them it was him. My brother got a slap across the coupon for breaking it and then I got a slap across the coupon for being a grass.

Lolwat Laughing that's quality parenting right there.

More often than not, rougher neighbourhoods don't engage with authoritah, preferring to police themselves. Mixed results, but the ones getting it normally deserved it.

In the case of driving, a lot of the time there'd be a danger of harm, yet no physical harm came from dodgy manoeuvres or speeding. Would I like someone caning it down a residential street, no. A rider doing a bit of pisstaking filtering doesn't warrant further action other than education in my world.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Lolwat Laughing that's quality parenting right there.

More often than not, rougher neighbourhoods don't engage with authoritah, preferring to police themselves. Mixed results, but the ones getting it normally deserved it.

In the case of driving, a lot of the time there'd be a danger of harm, yet no physical harm came from dodgy manoeuvres or speeding. Would I like someone caning it down a residential street, no. A rider doing a bit of pisstaking filtering doesn't warrant further action other than education in my world.

Glasgow mate. Grasses get slashes and snitches get stitches Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no intention of doing the polices job for them.
much like people grassing up businesses/neighbours for breaking the covid rules, it all just seems too much like the tales i used to hear about communist russia when i was younger.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your poncey USSR oppression, and raise you ten years in the British Gulag.

Ten years jail threats, and fines of up to £10,000 being announced for breaking travel restrictions. A swift u-turn on the "allowed flight list for the important businessman policy".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1