Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

which zzr 6 or 1100?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: which zzr 6 or 1100? Reply with quote

mainly due to its low seat height(30.7),but also low(ish) price, the zzr has shot to the top of my potentials list.

user reviews on mcn are very positive for both versions, owners seem to really like them. and they seem to be similarly priced.

now that im old, insurance is reasonable, and i have a car for the sensible stuff. so the bike would be purely for pleasure.

my sensible side is wondering if the 11 would be complete overkill? its a heavy old thing, 233kg vs 182 for the 6. plus the power output is still impressive, compared to todays litre bikes.

would the 6 be more fun to just hope on and go for joyrides on nice days?

which one would you choose, and why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:45 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode a zzr 6 back in about 91 before I passed. Fuck me, it was fast...

I'd still choose the 11 because litre or pussy.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a road bike capacity is king. However the 1100 is hard on its chassis so it’s not a cheap bike to run and if maintained on a shoestring budget will be a sloppy pile of crap.

oilrag
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:03 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just for a few weekend rides you might as well get the 1100. If you don't like it get rid and get the 600. You wouldn't lose much if you did that. But really you should sit your ass on the two of them and decide yourself.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilrag wrote:
If it's just for a few weekend rides you might as well get the 1100. If you don't like it get rid and get the 600. You wouldn't lose much if you did that. But really you should sit your ass on the two of them and decide yourself.

unfortunately getting test rides is a bit difficult with all the currant restrictions Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:
For a road bike capacity is king. However the 1100 is hard on its chassis so it’s not a cheap bike to run and if maintained on a shoestring budget will be a sloppy pile of crap.

id probably only cover 1-2000 miles per year, and id certainly look after the bike properly. i can do basic maintenance myself, and i wouldnt want to get go on a bike that wasnt maintained properly, my body doesnt bounce back as well as it did 20 years ago Neutral

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of miles are the 1-2k per year?

If it's mostly twisty roads the 600 will be more fun, the 1100 is a bit of a barge.

If it's mostly straight lines/motorways/etc then the 1100.

I'd take the 6 but I may be biased as I've had a few. Happy to lose some rarely used top end speed for better handling.

The weights you quote are dry, the 6 is about 210 wet. Neither bike feels heavy when moving around though.

Whichever bike aim for a D model if it's an 11 ('95 onward I think) or an E model if it's a 6 ('93 onward), some parts (plastics mainly) can be very hard to find for the earlier versions.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:16 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great bikes , 1100 is the one to have like. Properly capable bike.

Only thing is, Most that are in good condition now hold a premium. Now if they were cheap, then fine buy one, but if it was a cheap crap bike at say £1500 or a really tidy one at say £2500, I'd but a decent ZX6R

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned an 11 and have ridden a 6. 11 every time but it is heavy on consumables.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
What kind of miles are the 1-2k per year?

a/b and country roads. i have no need to use motorways really, and no desire either.

plenty of nice roads in my neighbourhood.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Both are great bikes , 1100 is the one to have like. Properly capable bike.

Only thing is, Most that are in good condition now hold a premium. Now if they were cheap, then fine buy one, but if it was a cheap crap bike at say £1500 or a really tidy one at say £2500, I'd but a decent ZX6R

i think im just too old to be curled up on a sports bike now. these days is rather have comfort over style.

besides the seat height of the zx6r is too much for me at 32.5 inches Sad

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:09 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my point was more that you can get a newer better bike for almost the same money as a "would be classic".

ZZR is a great bike but really nice ones make a premium now. Similar to early blades, early Busa's etc etc.

As an everyday bike a 1250 bandit / Z900 etc etc would piss all over an older ZZR.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
I think my point was more that you can get a newer better bike for almost the same money as a "would be classic".

ZZR is a great bike but really nice ones make a premium now. Similar to early blades, early Busa's etc etc.

As an everyday bike a 1250 bandit / Z900 etc etc would piss all over an older ZZR.

looking on the bay, the 1100 seems to be selling at around £1300 for a half decent one. thats pretty cheap in my book Thumbs Up

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you want it for, my choice would be the 600. It is a much more entertaining bike to ride on A and B roads, it's cheaper to run and in the real world, no slower than the 1100. The 1100 is more of a sports tourer, much like the Honda Blackbird and is a great bike for doing long distances with a few twistys along the way. The 600 is more fun to ride and won't get left behind by the 1100 unless you are doing silly speeds.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
For what you want it for, my choice would be the 600. It is a much more entertaining bike to ride on A and B roads, it's cheaper to run and in the real world, no slower than the 1100. The 1100 is more of a sports tourer, much like the Honda Blackbird and is a great bike for doing long distances with a few twistys along the way. The 600 is more fun to ride and won't get left behind by the 1100 unless you are doing silly speeds.

thank you for the reply. this is how my thinking has been heading.
i can do sensible sometimes Laughing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the 600 is that it has zero going on below 8k so it actually eggs you on to ride more aggresively than you would on the 1100. It's not just about peak power, it's how accessible the power is and to me the the ZZR was always a bit weird in that is was the big soft tourer of the 600's but had an engine with no bottom end poke whatsoever.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's back!

I had a ZZR600E - did 40 k miles on that. Fantastic little bike. Keep it on the boil at 7/8k revs and you will be grinning from ear to ear. Under 8 k it is very user friendly and not frightening.

Edit to add : When I had the 600 I put the nissin calipers on it and upgraded the rear shock to a hagon unit - the rear shock of any of these will be shit by now, I promise you will be grateful if you spent some money on a new (or used) aftermarket shock.

I'm 6 ft 2 so it started to get a bit cramped after an hour in the saddle - not too bad but my hips started to ache a bit.

I've now got a ZZR1100D - done about 20 k miles on this bad boy. Fantastic big bike. Very lardy in comparison, and extra 30-40 kg. It's noticeably wider and the reach from the seat to bars is better for me, don't get the aches in the legs like I used to on the 6. It's fast. I hardly every really go above 4 k revs, red line is 11 (I think). It does fly and is relatively decent on the lanes.
There are more foibles of this bike than the 6 though.
It has the same tokico 4 pots on the front as the 6, and the same forks, suspect the same springs too ... Braking is a bit bleurgh, though with recently rebuilt calipers, mastercylinder and forks; the rear lifts. I use Standard pads and replace frequently, taking the opportunity to keep the calipers cleaned and greased.
The exhausts are rotboxes and the design of them is stupid - downpipes all the way to the nearside tail pipe.
The oil cooler can leak if anyone has ever tried to disconnect the lines.
I hate hate hate that the battery is under the tank rather than the seat - not that I've had charging issues I just hate it.

I've used Avon Storm tyres and I finally replaced the tyres after 10 k miles. The front needed doing, the rear had a good few thousand left but I'd picked up punctures so just replaced the set. Chain and sprockets - I put a set on about 7 k miles ago, I use a tutoro chain oiler and ignore it. Loads of life left.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
He's back!

thank you for the post. very informative Thumbs Up

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

thank you for the post. very informative Thumbs Up

Any questions just ask. I've got quite a few miles under my belt of each of these bikes.

Stumblebum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:14 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a ratty old 1100C2 that I paid the equivalent of about 500 packets of chocolate hobnobs for. Took it out for a shakedown run and ended up bombing down to Exeter and back in the same night, it never missed a beat. It sounded like a bucket of nails while warming up for five minutes then was fine, but that’s old Kwaks for you! Very Happy

Get an 1100, if you buy the 600 you’ll just want it’s big brother sooner or later.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumblebum wrote:

Get an 1100, if you buy the 600 you’ll just want it’s big brother sooner or later.

i ended up with a Yamaha Thunderace. Very Happy

Stumblebum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:31 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Stumblebum wrote:

i ended up with a Yamaha Thunderace. Very Happy

Noice! I hope you’re having fun with it, not in a weird exhaust hole kind of way though! Shocked

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Noice! I hope you’re having fun with it, not in a weird exhaust hole kind of way though! Shocked

In the normal exhaust hole way?? Shocked

Congrats on the bike anyway Karma

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a well used 1100 c1 that’s got upward of 80k on. It’s fantastic, it will hustle down the backroads but it’s not a RGV. It is, however brilliant on fast A roads and motorways - which is where it spends most of its time.

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:33 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite bikes i owned was a ZZR1100 C1. It was great and i would love another one. Fast, comfy and easy to ride fast or slow. There seems to still be a lot of them around so i would assume they had decent build quality too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2