Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

High Speed Speeding Offence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: High Speed Speeding Offence Reply with quote

Soooo, appears that someone is looking at a magistrates decision on a moment of temporary insanity ....laser detector recorded 94 on National Limit, just after overtaking an HGV on the A59 at Blubberhouses.

It's a fair cop, guilty as charged, but has anyone else been in a similar circumstance recently, solicitor involved, attended court or pleaded online, mitigating circumstances, promise to sell naughty bike, 6 points, big fine etc

Cheers as always

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: High Speed Speeding Offence Reply with quote

Ouch... can't really comment, other than to say that at least it was under 100 mph which would have been a different level of horrorshow...

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened in our winter?

With the requisite slippery roads & numb fingers gripping that imaginary throttle???

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:23 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years back, 95 in a 50. Should have been an 8 week ban.

Plead guilty early, got invited into court to be banned. No solicitor.

When I was asked if I would like to justify what I'd done I said 'No, not really'
When asked if I had anything else to say said 'No, not really'

6 points, £465 in fines victim tax and 'we're going to make you pay to prosecute you' money.

I obviously passed the personality test and from hearing the bollocks being spouted out in the waiting area I was the only person who was up for speeding that was prepared to admit they were in the wrong.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year pre big lock-down, it's probably taken this long for the guy in the van to stop laughing and write his report ...😢

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the amount of the arseraping my wallet took wrong.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=323745&highlight=court

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:57 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, whatever else happens be prepared to be rogered for money, that's all they really care about.
You'll hand over more to the court if you decide not to grease the palms of a solicitor as well. They look out for each other.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:38 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Yup, whatever else happens be prepared to be rogered for money, that's all they really care about.
You'll hand over more to the court if you decide not to grease the palms of a solicitor as well. They look out for each other.

Thats bollocks. The costs are notified to you before you plead guilty and the fine and thus victim tax are predetermined set rates based on income.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing is at this time of year you won't need to heat your house.
They put a bit of heating on in the jail for you. 👍

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on a bike but a car, was doing a bit over the speed limit in a car along the M25 at night (no traffic, no bother was my reasoning at the time.) The police intimated I was doing over a ton, the courts just said "take 6 points and a fine, no court attendance required." At the time I thought that sounded a bit harsh but the legal advice was "snap their arm off!" so I just sucked it up.

tl;dr depends on any offers you get.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:59 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to court, they will ask you to fill in a means testing form.

Fill in the form. If you don't, they'll hit you with the maximum fine.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Not on a bike but a car, was doing a bit over the speed limit in a car along the M25 at night (no traffic, no bother was my reasoning at the time.) The police intimated I was doing over a ton, the courts just said "take 6 points and a fine, no court attendance required." At the time I thought that sounded a bit harsh but the legal advice was "snap their arm off!" so I just sucked it up.

tl;dr depends on any offers you get.

That'll be the cps (or the Scottish equivalent). They are NOT the court.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:14 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max fine for speeding is a grand.

ThunderRat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:18 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 in a 30 passing a school. Banged to right with the laser gun. Took a 10 minute bollocking and could not stop apologising looking shocked at what i had done. Got sent on my way scot free Very Happy This was the 90's but still amazed i got away with it TBH

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 09 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

say that you were concerned that the hgv driver had covid. therefor, you wanted to socially distance yourself as quickly as possible, especially as he wasnt wearing a mask.

but in all seriousness, best of luck fella Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough one.

Pre Covid - attend in person. Shave. Dress smart. Clean shoes. Be polite, contrite and don't say any more than you have to. As long as you don't look like a law breaking muppet you'll be in and out like a hot knife in butter.

Used this approach when i got booked for 106 on the M1 a few years ago. £220 fine, 6 points and no ban - i thanked the beak profusely and backed out of there ASAFP.

During Covid - dunno. But if you're going to plead guilty by post, write a nice short letter. Awful sorry, lesson learned, will never do it again, signed up for a riders refresh course etc etc booking in at one of the local Police/IAM free skills days yadda yadda yadda.

They've got better things to do than deal with you - you just need to make sure you don't come accross as a c*nt.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that they put Victim Tax on everything. I don't mind them adding the extra dosh, but hate that they need to say it's victim tax, just add it and say bugger all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

PePiPo website will do able to give you advice if you look there. Saying that I can’t see them offering anything that’s not been said here.
Worth a ask perhaps!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neighbour here got in a pickle after being given a speeding fine in 30mph zone.
Since covid especially they seem to assume everyone is online and at least reasonably competent online so he was getting various threatening notes about what he should and shouldn't be doing and for more info go to www.etc - all over his head as he (almost) never goes online even with a phone.
Then there was the speeding awareness course discount only they aren't doing them anymore but you can do an online version...
Still not heard the latest updates.

To make matters worse about the same time his 90 year old mum died and the family were having an unseemly row about the will where again he's the type to just ignore any communications whenever possible, even from his own 'side' in the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got clocked at 128 mph I got a 7 day ban, NO points and 300 quid fine,
A mate got done at 108 took a solicitor and got bum raped,
28 day ban almost a grand in fines and costs,

Represent yourself and look smart as said,
If you need your licence for your job take a letter explaining this, don't just tell them, prove it,
My excuse was It was suggested I gave it a proper thrash out on the dual carriageway at night buy the local garage as it needed a good Italian tune up,
I swear one magistrate said he has done similar,

If they see you legalled up it probably looks like you are trying to worm out of it,
Go alone and act naive and they may take pity on you.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
but you can do an online version...

Did that last year, it's so crap it becomes worth attending just to laugh (with the mic off so you don't get booted). Better than points though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not wasting a day of my life and paying more money when 3 points make fuck all difference to my insurance.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 12:21 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting banned soon too. 134 in a 70. Cba to go court, don't give a fuck. I'll pay their max fine and take their year or two year or whatever ban.

Fuck em. Don't stress it. Or go and get slightly less fucked, but still fucked.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate I got 6 points for a CD30 before. Spun my car out on some black ice and Bill saw it. I think what you get depends a lot on the Judge's mood on the day.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:19 - 10 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:

Thats bollocks. The costs are notified to you before you plead guilty and the fine and thus victim tax are predetermined set rates based on income.

If you are required to attend court and have a solicitor negotiate your final charge it will.

If you plead guilty you take what you get , if you plead not guilty you'll get reamed more without one of the old boys club members "fighting " your case.

I hate em all. And in fact even if you are correct it won't change my jaded views on them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3