Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker - advice on biking in Italy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hononokokoro
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: New biker - advice on biking in Italy Reply with quote

Hi all,

First time user here, so apologies if this has been done/is in the wrong place.

I'm spending five months in Italy this summer and I want to do a bike tour while I'm out. Currently have my eyes on a 125cc Vespa, A1 booked, all that good stuff.

Can anyone recommend insurance/means of getting the bike out there from the UK? My current provisional plan is to take the eurotunnel, then an ACT from Dusseldorf (I want to save most of my riding for Italy), but I am open to suggestions.

Any other advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will not get insurance cover for 5 months in Italy from a UK broker/ underwriter .. also you is gonna have problems ; if caught ; importing a bike without registering it in Italy .. which will be a ball ache .. get your licence but buy a local machine with local insurance ..

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are now limited to 90 days in Europe in any 180.

Hononokokoro
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:16 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Importing should be fine, I’ve read that you’re safe for 6 months without needed to import/register a vehicle. From what I can tell, buying a bike while there is nearly impossible for a foreigner. Plus I’d want to keep the bike when I’m done, and importing from Italy to uk again: ball-ache Sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italians are Mucking Fental on bikes in Italy.
The risks they take passing other traffic is entertaining. They are a bit of a menace.
The deal is if you are cautious one of those pricks will have you off if you are in traffic and they want to pass.
Mucking Fental..

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hononokokoro wrote:
Importing should be fine, I’ve read that you’re safe for 6 months without needed to import/register a vehicle.

Are you 100% certain about that, given that everything's changed since 1 January, and nobody seems to have a clue what the new rules are?

I do think you'll struggle with the insurance; like everything else it's a complete unknown at the moment after Brexit; never mind the addition of coronavirus regulations.

All that being said, I've heard good things about https://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/, but I doubt they'll be operating until Europe opens up to touring UK bikers again, which doesn't look imminent to me.

Alternatively, I can personally vouch for https://sosmotorcyclerecovery.eu, who have very efficiently repatriated my bike from Europe twice in recent years (once following an off, once after a breakdown) - I'm sure they must transport bikes in both directions

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Hononokokoro wrote:
Importing should be fine, I’ve read that you’re safe for 6 months without needed to import/register a vehicle.

Are you 100% certain about that, given that everything's changed since 1 January, and nobody seems to have a clue what the new rules are?

I do think you'll struggle with the insurance; like everything else it's a complete unknown at the moment after Brexit; never mind the addition of coronavirus regulations.

All that being said, I've heard good things about https://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/, but I doubt they'll be operating until Europe opens up to touring UK bikers again, which doesn't look imminent to me.

Alternatively, I can personally vouch for https://sosmotorcyclerecovery.eu, who have very efficiently repatriated my bike from Europe twice in recent years (once following an off, once after a breakdown) - I'm sure they must transport bikes in both directions

You only need a Green Card to get cover for Europe like years ago.
Your broker can arrange. And explain cover and cost.

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/accidents-in-the-uk-involving-a-foreign-registered-vehicle/green-card-system-explained/#:~:text=The%20green%20card%20is%20an,law%20of%20the%20country%20visited.&text=If%20cover%20is%20increased%20at,for%20the%20extension%20of%20cover.

If imported, then only use for the period the bike is covered then SORN.
Problem if it gets stolen.
Bigger problem if stolen and involved in a collision.

A heap of hassle but people do it all the time.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The risks they take passing other traffic is entertaining. They are a bit of a menace.
The deal is if you are cautious one of those pricks will have you off if you are in traffic and they want to pass.
Mucking Fental..

Riding through the streets in Pompeii was interesting that's for sure Laughing

The Amalfi Coast road was epic though Wub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

for 5 months ? i don`t know of a broker or underwriter that will extend cover for that length of time ..

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

No reason not to do it though, just go with the flow it will soon feel normal.
Probably more dangerous to come back here and not readjust to our more conservative style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hononokokoro
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think the RAC might do cover for europe, they definitely do 90 days and say they can extend that on request. Obviously 5 months is a stretch but we'll see what they say. worst case scenario I'll just have to do a slightly shorter tour.

Currently my biggest barrier is how to get the damn bike into Italy in the first place Confused the Eurotunnel can only take it as far as Calais and I can't see any motorail connections from there. Any suggestions of a better way to get there?

Hononokokoro
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:10 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note I got in touch with Eurobiketrans and they've suspended their services due to the new trade rules with the EU. A shame, but not unexpected.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hononokokoro wrote:
As a side note I got in touch with Eurobiketrans and they've suspended their services due to the new trade rules with the EU. A shame, but not unexpected.

Indeed; not surprised; that's a pity. But I think you might have more joy with https://sosmotorcyclerecovery.eu.

I just had another thought though - have a look at https://www.shiply.com/

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hononokokoro wrote:
the Eurotunnel can only take it as far as Calais and I can't see any motorail connections from there. Any suggestions of a better way to get there?

yep .. same way i did wit the cb1000rabs .. in the back of a 3.5t transit van .. stoped at Arabba and visited Venice... via Punta Sabbioni water bus..

or you could give this lot a call .. https://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/italy/

other than their web.site i know nothing about them..

here while your on i found this https://www.hertsinsurance.com/european-green-card/

from their web.sh1t.

"Most insurance companies can only offer Green Card cover for 30 or 60 days. With HIC you can get extended European Green Card insurance covering you in the UK and EU 365 days a year and you are also insured for a defined short term outside the EU."

again... other than their web.site i know nothing about them..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
MCN wrote:

for 5 months ? i don`t know of a broker or underwriter that will extend cover for that length of time ..

I never said cover for 5 months.
The OP never said cover for 5 months.

The OP said visit Italy for 5 months and use a motorbike for some bike trips.

It's OK, we're here to help people like you. 🤣

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't buy a local machine with local insurance. You have to be an Italian resident to do that.

Not sure how the new post Brexit insurance policies work in the EU now. I think you can get a 6 month green card, ask your insurance company. You don't need a visa if you are staying less than 90 days out of 180 days, don't know how you will work that one, maybe if you did a back to back i.e. 90 days of the first 180 then 90 days of the second 180!

I had a bike delivered to me from the UK to Italy, it cost me £500, that would have been the cost of petrol, toll roads, hotel, food and wear and tear on the bike, so it was money well spent. Good luck.

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:42 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Copycat73"]
Hononokokoro wrote:

here while your on i found this https://www.hertsinsurance.com/european-green-card/

That's handy to know, I've been looking for a dealer that does 365 EU coverage Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The OP said visit Italy for 5 months and use a motorbike for some bike trips.

It's OK, we're here to help people like you. 🤣

he never said it would stand without insurance either .. but i understand .. where your from that sort of thing is not a priority ..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1