Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

mate of mine - cadio problem this morning, says it was cramp

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: mate of mine - cadio problem this morning, says it was cramp Reply with quote

Me and a mate were out this morning and to cut to the chase, when we got back in the car, he was experiencing some severe pain, and couldn't really move at all

it was pretty alarming - I said where is it hurting, left or right side of chest? he said left

uh oh

i said okay, try and get in the car properly, we're off

he said no no it will go away in a minute - now i appreciate the common sense response is to see a doctor and describe the symptoms to them, but there's no way my mate's ever going to do this

so my question is this: what are the odds it WAS actually some sort of cramp? he spun me a yarn about how his flab interferes with his stomach muscles and yadder yadder

but you can't kid a kidder - it just sounded like total blarney tbh

i haven't googled it - probably should've done that before posting here, but eh - i'll try later

if it had been on his right hand side of his chest i wouldn't be posting this - and to my knowledge it never has happened on that side

he reckons that he's had these sorts of "cramps" going back ten years - but he's way overweight, had some stressful news this morning (is going through a prolonged break up with his mrs, etc.), so i kind of fear the worst

i need to ask him if he;s had similar cramps on RHS of chest - although he might BS me

what does bcf reckon

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get something similar.

Trapped wind - don't laugh, right.
It feels like a cramp, a heart attack, it doesn't manifest itself as wind in the farty burpy or gurgly sense for quite some time.

In fact, just last night I had quite a bad attack, and I haven't had it for about a year or so.

A lot of people who haven't had it go "aw, its just wind, get over yourself", but it's actually extremely distressing, as you really can feel as though you might really be having a heart attack.

After it dissipates (for me, usually about 40 minutes or so), then I feel wiped out, and have to sleep.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said DON'T laugh.
Mr. Green

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it could be cramp recurring; but it could also be recurrent angina pains. Really no way to know without investigating and I have no idea what the odds are of one over the other.

I get that there's no reasoning with people with this head-in-the-sand mentality, but I really don't get it. If this is indeed heart-related this guy is ultimately going to be felled by it, and if he survives he's going to end up hospitalised involuntarily, with a much worse outcome than if he pre-empted things by seeking advice in advance. If it's not heart-related then he'll be reassured and apart from getting a flea in his ear about being overweight, he'll be no worse off.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for those replies - helpful

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions 111 will ask to rule out signs of a cardiac problems are similar to:

Arrow Is the pain made worse, or bought on, by shrugging the shoulders?

Arrow Is the pain made worse, or bought on, by twisting the upper half of the body to the left and right?

Arrow Have you had any pain in the jaw, left arm (at the joint) or back?

Arrow Is the pain a ripping or tearing feeling?

Arrow Can you feel the pain traveling from one place to another (you'd physically feel it travel. Coming and going in different places is different). If yes then (and take this lightly) that can be a sign of a heart attack.

Palpitations, nausea and being physically unable to go about your normal day to day tasks (such as making a cup of tea or watching T.V) are also alarming signs.

They also ask about heavy bleeding in the last two hours, bruising or some other things depending on what you tell them about how you feel and how it occurred etc.

You'd have to take him at face value and ask him about his medical history to see how true or untrue it is.

Ultimately a trip to A&E and a ECG will read his heart rate levels and rhythm and give him an answer as to what shape he's in. At the current level of admission he'll be out in a few hours if all is well. A&E locally really isn't as busy as it was pre-covid (patient only, or patient and one relative in rare cases) and staggered arrivals mean emptier waiting rooms (early morning is generally best).

If he's not had a talk with a doctor in those ten years then he need to be examined, but if he has a worrying episode in front of you again and can't answer as to why its happening then driving him to A&E really isn't a bad shout. There is such a thing as being so ill you can't think straight, even if its only an episode. Sometimes you need someone else with you.

~

hellkat wrote:
I get something similar.

Does this occur shortly after eating spicy food, chocolate, tomato based products or consuming alcohol? And or eating too fast, or a large meal? Or being limited / occurring only with food in general?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance he's broken a rib before, and is currently rapidly changing shape? Like hasn't done much exercise for a year because 2020, and is now getting back into it?

From personal experience, previously broken ribs aren't as flexible as they should be. I'm very careful to stay the same sort of shape, seeing as every time I spend too little or too much time in the gym I'm liable to snap it again. 3 times so far.

The pain when it's getting towards a break feels like having a fold of skin trapped in a shut door.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Does this occur shortly after eating spicy food, chocolate, tomato based products or consuming alcohol? And or eating too fast, or a large meal? Or being limited / occurring only with food in general?

Noooo (god forbid) Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 26 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever the issue is, ignoring it is very ill advised.

My mother ignored her very high blood pressure for years. Then, when 52 years old, brain artery burst, pronounced dead week after that in the hospital. I got the phone call on my 30th birthday, exactly the day of my birthday. The sad bit is, she knew about her issue all along. I tried several times to persuade her to do something about it and she decided to ignore it. My father even found several medical reports, about her high blood pressure and recomendations for immediate medication, in her drawer at home after she died, that she kept secret from the family. Why am I telling you this? My grandfather, her farther, has been on high blood pressure medication ever since he was 30 years old, he's turning 80 years old this year, still vital and enjoying life. And that is the difference between ignoring your issues and facing them.

So, your mate's issue could be nothing but could also be a future problem that he won't enjoy dealing with later on. Thumbs Up

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:20 - 27 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of years ago I helped a mate to pick up an old XL250, a bike he had always hankered for. We got it back in his garage & started tinkering to get it started.

He suddenly came over all knackered, it had been a long day with an early start so I told him to go put the kettle on. I found him 15mins later collapsed on his drive halfway to the kitchen.

His missus went hyper hysterical, next door neighbour had to hold her back while I had the phone on speaker to follow the 'very calm' instructions of what to do. It immediately struck me how blue he looked, & he felt sooo cold.

They tell me it was massive, he was probably dead before he hit the floor.

I think everyone should do at least a basic first aid course, expecially if you ride out with mates.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 27 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

this morning admitted that his dad had angina, after i told him bluntly that what he's got is angina - still not gonna do owt about it tho Rolling Eyes

am now 95% sure it *is* angina - nice one freddy

however, also yes Robby - he broke a couple of ribs a few years ago skiing - on the left side...so could also be that too tbf

would honestly bet strong money on angina at this point tho

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 27 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't he have any family he cares about?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 28 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yes...but it's complicated Neutral

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 28 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is angina pectoris, the pain should go away once the physical activity, that triggered it, stops. This typically occurs during exercise, especially in the cold, or even after a hearty meal.

That being said, the condition could get worse over time, meaing it could be triggered even by mild physical activity (excercise) or even when he's idle. Even if angina pectoris is ''just a discomfort'' for him for now, people are not born with this. People get this issue mainly due to atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries and some other way worse related illneses. As far as we know, his angina pains could be only a warning sign of something much worse going on. For instance, untreated atherosclerosis leads to a blockage of the arteries = heart attack.

But, I think he already knows this and decided to ignore it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 28 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 28 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF diagnoses again. Laughing

The only piece of advice worth taking notice of is going to see a doctor.

The angina issues I had through my late teens, twenties, thirties and early forties only quit when the quacks decided that my high blood pressure was enough of an issue that I wouldn't pass the medical to get a US visa. Rolling Eyes
Trapped gas is also not much fun, nor the indescribable discomfort that Ankylosing Spondylitis can produce in the rib cage and while I can identify the difference between the three when one presents itself it would be difficult to describe any without it being mistook for the other.

It could just be that he's a vampire and Van Helsing did a bad staking job on him...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 28 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could just be that if he faced up to his demons and took a tester dose of WindEze, it might stop bothering him Rolling Eyes

I get angina too, just a little bit, but I don't pretend its not there.
Well, not usually ... Shifty

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablet remedies for angina until angioplasty detects the affected coronary arteries and possibly additional bypass surgery may be indicated.
One of the most successful ops one can have.

But doing nothing is a dick move.

Also, many folk are terrified of bad news. Even though a problem shared...

Maybe some counselling/cajoling is required.
Or chloroform rag to the face and drag the bastirt down to A&E.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very nearly posted < Doh! > That whatever you ask of him he won't do anything about it.

I have one of those friends.

Goes like this.

'My jaw aches...and the side of my face ...upto my ear'

See dentist.

'No not going...can't afford time off work'

Etc...

Then he always ends with the in-joke (but not to him)

.....but I'm not complaining'

Fantastic chap....complete idiot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head-in-the-sand thing is too easy to do.

I have to speak severely to myself about putting these things off, so I understand exactly what is going on with OP's mate.

Arrow Nah, it'll stop soon
Arrow Nah, it'll go away in a day or two
Arrow Nah, I'll do something about it [tomorrow]
Arrow Well I know I should do something about it, in fact, I googled ... but haven't quite, y'know...
Arrow See, its gone, when I lean this way, it doesn't happen.

etc. ad nauseaum

Got an excuse for every day of the week, me.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
whatever you ask of him he won't do anything about it.

Yep. I have a mate who has a proper duff knee.
Every time he gets up from a sofa/bed/couch, he goes "Ooow!!" and you can tell he's really in pain.
So you go :
Have you taken painkillers for that? Nope. Don't believe in 'em.
Have you seen the doctor; Nope. They'll make me have a new knee and I don't want the surgery.
Did you try the Tiger Balm I gave you? Nah, I tried it once and it didn't work. You didn't warn me to wash me hands before I go for a slash, bloody burnt me cock, you daft mare. ( Laughing )
Do you not think you should ... Nah, I'll be alright/do it next week.
Then he sits down again and goes "Oooowwww Oooowwww"
Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

By now, only my feet are visible Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I very nearly posted < Doh! > That whatever you ask of him he won't do anything about it.

I have one of those friends.

Goes like this.

'My jaw aches...and the side of my face ...upto my ear'

See dentist.

'No not going...can't afford time off work'

Etc...

Then he always ends with the in-joke (but not to him)

.....but I'm not complaining'

Fantastic chap....complete idiot.

Did you know gingivitis dissolves bones around the teeth that then just fall out? Other fun stuff that could happen is permanent hearing loss (the infection spreading and dissolving the bones required for hearing; in extreme cases the infection could spread into his brain) and gingivitis also ruins his heart valves. TL; DR: Bad teeth can kill you. Shocked

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:34 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Did you know gingivitis dissolves bones around the teeth that then just fall out? Other fun stuff that could happen is permanent hearing loss (the infection spreading and dissolving the bones required for hearing; in extreme cases the infection could spread into his brain) and gingivitis also ruins his heart valves. TL; DR: Bad teeth can kill you. Shocked

Jack has many interests & one of 'em is real world history. In the backroom of a proper museum I had one of the single most interesting chats of my life so far.

I was holding a 500yr old skull in my hands & noticing a huge cavity in the upper jaw stupidly asked "what's that all about then"?

Apparently, 500yrs ago they didn't have dentists, this chap hovered between excruciating pain & severe discomfort for at least the last 2 of his 30ish years of life.

Real historians reckon the lack of proper dental care is the reason why they lived such short lives, & why we live relatively long ones . . .

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
hellkat wrote:

By now, only my feet are visible Rolling Eyes

From the underside as well Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2