Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engine locking then unlocking, then locking...etc...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Engine locking then unlocking, then locking...etc... Reply with quote

Hi all, hope everyone is all good and looking forward to spring!

Got a weird one...weird to me anyways...

My engine and cams are out of my bike.

On turning the crank by hand it locks up after about 20 secs of sitting still. I then need apply alot more pressure using a wrench and it turns happily for as long as i wish to sit and turn it for. But if i stop it locks up again but oddly only after about 20 secs... After 1-20 secs it seems ok, but after this it's locked. It's like something is slowly returning to a position after these seconds where it gets stuck.

It did the same thing with the transmission removed so to me seems clear bottom end is damaged somehow but i can't explain why it will free up then lock again... As mentioned cams removed so timing and valves are not at fault in terms of the engine turning (my view).

Anyone dealt with something similar...?

Thanks!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all you are turning is the crank and pistons? Everything else is disconnected?

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:18 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sounds like overcoming the friction on the rings to me.

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So all you are turning is the crank and pistons? Everything else is disconnected?

thanks for reply.

correct.

When i put the bike back together (did some bottom end work), the bike just clicked once at the point of starting. With everything else checked, it turned out that the engine would not turn over, so I soaked in wd and rotated from the magneto side and it started moving, but as mentioned, you stop turning it, it locks up. while its like this it wont start unless i move the crank to ensure its not in the compression stroke, then it would start (intially i had to use a car battery for the extra cranking amps). I thought it would clear after running for a few mins but back to sq 1.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the timing for the cams correct?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:04 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's nothing to do with the oil pump?

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
And it's nothing to do with the oil pump?

thanks, no i don't believe so, the oil pump is connected to a gear on the back of the clutch basket... when the basket was out the same was seen, when it's in still the same....

unless you are referring to why it locked in the first place, the engine locking started before i got it running as it would not start etc....

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:15 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this bike running , or is it a project. It sounds to me like you need to do a bit more stripping down , the barrels off at least, if its not just going tight because of ' sticktion' you need to find out exactly what is causing the problem , maybe the bore needs a quick hone, maybe one of the rings is gummed , maybe one of the bearings is jamming . Without a more thorough stripdown you will never know.

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Was this bike running , or is it a project. It sounds to me like you need to do a bit more stripping down , the barrels off at least, if its not just going tight because of ' sticktion' you need to find out exactly what is causing the problem , maybe the bore needs a quick hone, maybe one of the rings is gummed , maybe one of the bearings is jamming . Without a more thorough stripdown you will never know.

i hear you steve, but I'm in new territory here, thats my next step as for now i consider it pretty shagged.

The engine was fine before, only a gear selection issue was present. The only thing that makes sense to me is the cam chain slipped while it was being worked on upside down, when it was all put back together the auto adjuster had come out to take the extra slack, then when the engine rotated created a tight cam chain which then when rotating further created a ring or conrod bend. Still doesn't account for the fact you push past this and it seems ok until you leave it again...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:38 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be hydraulic lock. Maybe there is liquid petrol building up on the inlet valves, and turning the crank allows the petrol in, and then it seeps past the rings allowing you to turn it again? That's my first thought, could be nonsense, but it was nevertheless what popped into my head.

Sounds bad to me anyway.

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sounds like it could be hydraulic lock. Maybe there is liquid petrol building up on the inlet valves, and turning the crank allows the petrol in, and then it seeps past the rings allowing you to turn it again? That's my first thought, could be nonsense, but it was nevertheless what popped into my head.

Sounds bad to me anyway.

thanks, I've read about this, but i think once it frees up it should spit out what ever was above the pistons out via (in general) the spark plugs holes from where it was put in, anti-cease liquid, fuel, wd40 etc... but I think you're onto something with the way it takes a bit of time to lock again, but now the cams are removed there's no real compression as you would expect, so although the valves are in situ they are not opening and closing.... so you rotate it the 'liquid' moves around, when it's left to settle it seeps down then creates another hydro lock...?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cams are out what have you done with the cam chain?

What engine is it?

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
If the cams are out what have you done with the cam chain?

What engine is it?

cam chain still in situ via a prop, the bottom case cover is removed so i can see what's going on underneath... gsxr 750. thx

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you removed the plugs?

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Have you removed the plugs?

yes sir

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

with no tension on the cam chain it 'could' be getting snagged up

I'd have that out too.. they're cheap enough to replace, then the head off.. then the barrels.. process of elimination it has to be right?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
with no tension on the cam chain it 'could' be getting snagged up

I'd have that out too.. they're cheap enough to replace, then the head off.. then the barrels.. process of elimination it has to be right?

agreed, will take the chain and head off tomorrow (likely if I'm feeling brave).

I'm slightly worried that even that might not show anything so I'm close to balls deep in and i'll know no more!! ha!! My point is if its bearing, ring or barrel scoring, will i be able to identify this? Guess there's no other way to find out right!>?? Shocked Rolling Eyes

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:29 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the worst it could be is a roller bearing where one of the rollers has a flat on it and jams rather than turning, once turning it will carry on turning , yeah , it's unlikely , but it does happen.
You mention that it's pretty ' shagged', I think its likely that once the top end is off you will have a free running bottom end , if you don't and it's still stiff you've got problems.

My best bet is a plantpot shaped bore ( the classic wear pattern) and a jammed, broken or gummed ring(s). If that's the case don't use caustic ( oven cleaner aerosol) on aluminium it eats it. Boil the piston in a pan to free the rings off , then scrape all the crap off with scrapers , scissors, scrubber dubber pads, sharpened electrical screwdriver etc etc. Let us know how you get on.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

Yep - roller bearings can have individual rollers fail.

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/LWMEimages/weekend2014/2014week25.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 04 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting investigative workshop thread - how refreshing.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 04 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:
Wotcha.

Yep - roller bearings can have individual rollers fail.

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/LWMEimages/weekend2014/2014week25.jpg

The races can become peened in one position too.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fXiPbicHodj-pzvoM8aUIcc-hGPbOfE7ujtlqV3MO55mAmgx_onpFWjX2tsBGW0VFtGwJ8D4HTB62pd2OAZ3JkHiGGCFwGxJyoYQtzPe5cZ--V7KaUfK8Hz6Os6LgH6MQhZuGYMEKrjDEGLb8WvJR3=w1335-h1002-no

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:11 - 04 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this ' bearing surface failing' thing is called 'spalling, it generates lots of tiny flakes of metal, not what you want really. Hopefully its a bore problem....

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 05 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

My best bet is a plantpot shaped bore ( the classic wear pattern) and a jammed, broken or gummed ring(s). If that's the case don't use caustic ( oven cleaner aerosol) on aluminium it eats it. Boil the piston in a pan to free the rings off , then scrape all the crap off with scrapers , scissors, scrubber dubber pads, sharpened electrical screwdriver etc etc. Let us know how you get on.

Worthwhile thread: I knew this from years ago and had forgotten it.
Thank you for reminding me of something that could be very important Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 06 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG#43 wrote:
With everything else checked, it turned out that the engine would not turn over, so I soaked in wd and rotated from the magneto side

Why the WD-40 or should the question be 'where are you putting it'? Engine oil is usually the best bet for an engine that you're hoping not to strip again.

MG#43
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 06 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
MG#43 wrote:
With everything else checked, it turned out that the engine would not turn over, so I soaked in wd and rotated from the magneto side

Why the WD-40 or should the question be 'where are you putting it'? Engine oil is usually the best bet for an engine that you're hoping not to strip again.

so engine locks up but after some heavy pushing on the crank shaft, generator side it will give then crank over normally. If you leave it for about 20 secs or more you will need to apply the same force to get it to turn over, while you keep it rotating its fine until you stop and leave it again.. the transmission and cams are not in situ and its still the same. I've bought and installed another engine so bike working again, but will take the head off the other engine on monday to see if i can see anything from the top side of the block/pistons to see if i can spot what it is.... suspect i may not see anything from the top half so may need to strip the bottom half and start removing the pistons... There's some sense in the 20 secs being the period it takes for some hydro lock type situation, however with no plugs, cams or exhaust fitted you would expect to see this flow or spit through something... but not... thanks for responses all!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2