Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

first ride this millenium

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: first ride this millenium Reply with quote

picked up my new bike yesterday. a Yamaha Thunderace on a p plate.
its the first time ive been on a bike since the 1990's.
it was a bit surprising just how quick the bike rev'ed, ive never had to be that delicate with a throttle before. and the first few turns and bends took a bit of getting used to Laughing

the journey back was about 60 miles, around fifty of them being motorway miles. i found getting used to the bike much easier on the mway than in city traffic.
the seat was very comfortable but the rear suspension felt a bit harsh.i could feel every bump.
the only problems i had on the mway were not being able to turn my head enough to see my blind spots and dust getting in my eyes.
i thought the dust must have gotten into my helmet whilst its been in storage for the last 23 years. but when i got home and checked, it turned out that the foam lining on the inner top of the helmet is crumbling away. a bit annoying as id only worn the helmet 3 or 4 times before i put it away, and it wasnt cheap.

i enjoyed the bikes acceleration, although i only went up to around 7000rpm in 2nd and 3rd on about half throttle. it was enough to impress though Laughing
the bike felt well balanced, but its a bit of a heifer to push around.
think im going to have to find a quite car park and practice low speed
manouvers.

apart from the seat being to high(tiptoes) and the handlebars being to low, im quite pleased Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !

Better junk that helmet though.. I'm guessing the crumbling liner is not it;s only shortcoming after all those years...

7k is just about when those engines com on song..( Ihave the 750 predecessor) so if you think it's spritely now you've got plenty to come.

not sure what to say about the shock but you might want to check the linkage is greased and moving as it should.

Cheers

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just purchased a new helmet from Halfords for a whopping £24 with my trade card. reviews were promising so i thought id give it a try.
its dayglo yellow, but for the price im not complaining Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:24 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
ive just purchased a new helmet from Halfords for a whopping £24 with my trade card. reviews were promising so i thought id give it a try.

Its whether it fits rather than price, fits as in fits properly though.

My helmet is 10 years old, it REALLY needs to go in the bin Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Mate if it's one of those MYX ones I have always wondered how they got their ECE certification on a helmet that's so cheap.

When you get it, mind writing up a review about it? Makes for a cheap pillion helmet to leave tied to a bike.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: first ride this millenium Reply with quote

Nice one Very Happy - having owned an Ace in the past I'm sure you will love this bike - freshen up the suspension and tires and this bike will really shine.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...haven't ridden for years, best ease myself back into this."

buys litre sports bike

https://media.giphy.com/media/4Hmjz2sqdtASJ2gFMH/giphy.gif

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
"...haven't ridden for years, best ease myself back into this."

buys litre sports bike

https://media.giphy.com/media/4Hmjz2sqdtASJ2gFMH/giphy.gif

At least it wasn't a "modern" litre bike. Laughing

OP: Welcome back to the dark side Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I'm in two minds as to which is best for someone inexperienced if they're going to have something with a lot of power. With modern bikes you at least have modes and things that can tame it for you. But with something older, you have to learn to tame it yourself, which makes for good experience...assuming you survive it!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I'm in two minds as to which is best for someone inexperienced if they're going to have something with a lot of power. With modern bikes you at least have modes and things that can tame it for you. But with something older, you have to learn to tame it yourself, which makes for good experience...assuming you survive it!

Posts like this make me worried I am making the jump from 125cc to litre bike too quickly Laughing my first is going to either be a Suzuki Katana or a Ducati SuperSport. Right now I am leaning towards the Katana though just because it's incredible value for the money. The Ducati looks sexy as fuck though. I want both of them. Might buy both of them...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:11 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Posts like this make me worried I am making the jump from 125cc to litre bike too quickly Laughing my first is going to either be a Suzuki Katana or a Ducati SuperSport. Right now I am leaning towards the Katana though just because it's incredible value for the money. The Ducati looks sexy as fuck though. I want both of them. Might buy both of them...

Worried? Yeah you probably should be if I'm honest.
I'd probably go MT07 first if I were you. I have a GSX-S1000F, which is basically a Katana with a fairing and a bigger fuel tank. I've been riding for nearly 23 years and have owned everything from an NS125R to a 954 Fireblade and everything in between. The Katana WILL be too much for a newbie. Never really looked into the Supersport but it's probably a better bet.

Go MT-07/SV650/ER6/RS660 or something first (IMO).

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'd probably go MT07 first if I were you. I have a GSX-S1000F, which is basically a Katana with a fairing and a bigger fuel tank. I've been riding for nearly 23 years and have owned everything from an NS125R to a 954 Fireblade and everything in between. The Katana WILL be too much for a newbie. Never really looked into the Supersport but it's probably a better bet.

Only one in that list I like the look of it the MT-07. I think that Beans-on-Toast (YouTube VLogger) has one. The thing that worries me about the Katana is that I either loop it or yeet myself into the back of an HGV.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a CB100N learner bike to a Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo. Powerful, fast, heavy, brakes and tyres not up to what we have these days, a lot of physical input needed to ride fast; no rider modes, ABS, traction control - just standard clutch, throttle and brakes. Probably unwise, and I did have a couple of moments early on...I was lucky to survive one occasion in particular, but it certainly taught me to respect the bike!

But I put about 20k miles on that bike in less than a year and survived it. Looking back, I can't say I regret the decision to go about things that way. I would just say if you do, respect that such a bike has way more than you can handle, and treat it correspondingly. Get used to it slowly, curb your enthusiasm on the throttle!

It probably is sensible to go up in smaller steps though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumped on am FZ750 in about 2010 having not ridden a bike for 20 years and the last one I had was a 200.

it was an interesting ride home but meh, stopping off at Wootton Bassett (predating it becoming Royal) for tea and cakes with wifie and the number 2 was fun.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:50 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I went from a CB100N learner bike to a Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo. Powerful, fast, heavy, brakes and tyres not up to what we have these days, a lot of physical input needed to ride fast; no rider modes, ABS, traction control - just standard clutch, throttle and brakes. Probably unwise, and I did have a couple of moments early on...I was lucky to survive one occasion in particular, but it certainly taught me to respect the bike!

Still only 110ish HP though, in a bike that weighs 220kg+ dry. The performance of a modern litre bike, even a second level one such as a Katana or GSX-S or Z1000 or whatever is... mad. People say the Katana has an on-off throttle response. I've ridden worse, but for someone used to a 125, that will be too much. Don't forget an early turbo bike will still have lag, which cushions you somewhat from the excesses of the right wrist.

chickenstrip wrote:

I'd say so, yes.

Back in the day we used to question people who came on the forum wanting to go for a 600 sports bike as their first bike... Nowadays you get people wanting to buy S1000RRs as their first bike. It's mad. Traction control and ABS don't make the bikes uncrashable. In fact, they might even push the limits out a bit so when you do have a mishap it's that much worse.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Nowadays you get people wanting to buy S1000RRs as their first bike. It's mad.

I am a mad bastard, but I am not that much of a totally mad bastard Laughing also I am too fat to fit into the seat of the S1000RR the tank is too steep and I don't think my gut would fit over it Embarassed

One of the reasons I like the Katana and the SuperSport is that neither force you into a tucked position, both have the upright commuter position from what I have seen on review videos.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Only one in that list I like the look of it the MT-07. I think that Beans-on-Toast (YouTube VLogger) has one. The thing that worries me about the Katana is that I either loop it or yeet myself into the back of an HGV.

Best not get an MT-09...

https://media.giphy.com/media/FEd6Jpq2NFNzW/giphy.gif

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:15 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBh if you don't have the finesse to learn just how far you can push a litre away from the line you have no place riding them.

It's not that difficult to pull away normally, just remember you don't need to rag the fucking thing away. Slightly more than tick over (say 2 grand) is more than enough to pull away. Going for 6 grand is going for a world of pain unless you've had practice.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:19 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MarJay"]

The Katana WILL be too much for a newbie.

/quote]

Nope, it won't.

It's a dawdle to ride. Just don't ride outside your capabilities. Same as with every bike really.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:48 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

/quote]

Nope, it won't.

It's a dawdle to ride. Just don't ride outside your capabilities. Same as with every bike really.

If you've been riding for years it's very easy to fall into the trap of forgetting what it's like to ride a 125, how much fine control we've learned, how much we're used to the weight and power of a big bike. Reccomending a newbie buy a 1000cc bike is not a good idea and never has been a good idea.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Still only 110ish HP though, in a bike that weighs 220kg+ dry. The performance of a modern litre bike, even a second level one such as a Katana or GSX-S or Z1000 or whatever is... mad. People say the Katana has an on-off throttle response. I've ridden worse, but for someone used to a 125, that will be too much. Don't forget an early turbo bike will still have lag, which cushions you somewhat from the excesses of the right wrist.

Yes, but the point is the bike wasn't anything like the same level of handling and manoeuvrability as a modern bike. It's so much easier to ride later bikes - they pretty much look after themselves, and never mind the various electronic 'taming' devices. If you're riding those older bikes at or near the limit, ok you're not going as fast, but you're also always nearer to disaster in a way, with the potential for the bike to tie itself in knots, as I experienced one time - the most frightening experience I have ever had, and I've ridden much faster than that occasion since. But yes, you make a good point - they certainly have much more performance now if kept raw with the controls all switched off.

The turbo lag wasn't bad on the Kawasaki, largely down to how close the turbo was mounted to the exhaust ports, unlike the other offerings at the time. You felt the boost beginning to feed in at around 4k rpm, so you didn't need to be pinning it before you started to get useful shove*. You really didn't get much "cushioning" if you rode it hard, but also it wasn't a strip-tuned bike. Fast for its day, it was pretty much on par with the GPz1100. Wheelied more easily though (my mate used to be able to get better launches off the line on his 11 than me on my turbo. When I briefly owned an 11 later, I realised why - it'd spin up the rear from a standstill, but the front wasn't so eager for the sky, so you had a be a little more careful feeding it in on the turbo bike).

*Edit: the problem for an 18yo was that the shove from the turbo at about 6k and over was addictive, and that's where it could get you into a bit of bother Laughing If you go and look at the articles I posted on the Z900 with turbo, he talks about this, and it very much reminded me of how I felt about my turbo bike.

Last edited by chickenstrip on 18:21 - 08 Mar 2021; edited 2 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

I'd say so, yes.

Back in the day we used to question people who came on the forum wanting to go for a 600 sports bike as their first bike... Nowadays you get people wanting to buy S1000RRs as their first bike. It's mad. Traction control and ABS don't make the bikes uncrashable. In fact, they might even push the limits out a bit so when you do have a mishap it's that much worse.

I think above certain speeds it becomes a bit academic anyway.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
MarJay wrote:

The Katana WILL be too much for a newbie.

Nope, it won't.

Yep, large capacity bikes are very easy to ride if you ride with restraint. How much restraint do you have? I had very little (I was 18 when I had my turbo) Laughing
The thing is, the manufacturers aren't designing these things to kill you the first time you throw a leg over one.
I wouldn't exactly recommend going straight to a modern litre bike, but nor would I suggest stopping people from doing so if that's what they really want to do. On their head be it, basically Laughing

Also, newbies these days normally get to ride on a bike of about 650cc or so capacity as a requirement to getting their full license don't they? So they're not going straight from a 125 to litre with zero experience of something larger.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:32 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Also, newbies these days normally get to ride on a bike of about 650cc or so capacity as a requirement to getting their full license don't they? So they're not going straight from a 125 to litre with zero experience of something larger.

only if they are under 26. They can still do a DAS at 26... but even so a 70 year old probably still shouldn't' go from a 125 to a 1000cc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

only if they are under 26. They can still do a DAS at 26... but even so a 70 year old probably still shouldn't' go from a 125 to a 1000cc.

Now you've got me picturing some little old granny in black leathers, discarding her walking frame and slinging an arthritic leg over a turbo Hayabusa - "get out of my way sonny, I can handle this!" Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2