Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre time. Again.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:17 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

Wear bars are coming up on the rear of the VFR current Dunlop D222. Centre is fairly squared, there's a limit to how far you can get down on a 4 mile commute over winter.

I usually run a Roadsmart 2/D222, but I'm up for trying something else. I don't cane her everywhere and she'll likely still do a lot of the aforementioned commuting, she will be ridden in all weathers. Budget, preferably not £200/pair.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:23 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Wear bars are coming up on the rear of the VFR current Dunlop D222. Centre is fairly squared, there's a limit to how far you can get down on a 4 mile commute over winter.

I usually run a Roadsmart 2/D222, but I'm up for trying something else. I don't cane her everywhere and she'll likely still do a lot of the aforementioned commuting, she will be ridden in all weathers. Budget, preferably not £200/pair.

Mmm, I don't think £200 is too high for the only thing keeping you attached to the road Laughing

I'd find the best deal on Pilot Road 4s if I was riding in all weathers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:58 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a fan of the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 for the combination of longevity and wet/dry performance.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitas touring force £150 a pair great in dry and wet.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:04 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found through experience that you get can tyres that are either cheap or good, I have never found such a thing as a good cheap tyre. I have just fitted a pair of Bridgestone BT023's to my ST1100 and I have found them to be excellent in the wet and dry and they cost £210 fully fitted.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Even going back to PR2s, assuming they're still available - will be cheap if so, and I found them very good before I moved onto the 4s.

Edit: not so sure how well they'd last though. With fairly hard use, no commuting, I found the rears were only lasting about 4k miles, so maybe not...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Even going back to PR2s, assuming they're still available - will be cheap if so, and I found them very good before I moved onto the 4s.
Edit: not so sure how well they'd last though. With fairly hard use, no commuting, I found the rears were only lasting about 4k miles, so maybe not...

4K-5K is about what I'm getting from from my existing tyres in warmer weather, and I'm happy with them in performance terms. I'm just seeing what's out there, if I can get a bit more mileage while not breaking the bank, or be riding off the edge of them. I may get a bit more frisky in the nicer weather, but she's still a lardy 25yr old sports tourer, so I won't be hammering it everywhere.

My fitter is happy to fit to loose wheels, so I'm happy getting from somewhere online.

I'll look into the Mitas tourers. Any real life mileages, riding style, bike they're fitted to etc?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Seeing as you sound reasonably happy with that existing combo I'd say you could get a set of Maxxis Supermaxx Diamond for £150 delivered (FWR) and be pleased enough with them. I commuted on those on and they were pretty good. They'd spin up the rear in the wet if provoked - but I was on a down-geared B12 and was gunning it from the lights. Everything else was pretty good, definitely rate them as slightly above average at worst Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
4K-5K is about what I'm getting from from my existing tyres in warmer weather, and I'm happy with them in performance terms.

Guy I commuted with got 10k plus on PR2s on a ZZR600 purely motorway and a bit of London roads.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding in Wales for fun a lot when I was using PR2s Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:12 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Bridgestone RS or go home! I paid £240 for the pair on mine (190/50/17 and 120/70/17).

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the mileages I got on a 1998 VFR 800Fi. 75 - 130 mile daily commute, ridden year 'round 2010 to 2015.

12205 miles on Pirelli Angel tires.
21437 miles on Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires
22895 miles on Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires
13681 miles on Michelin Pilot Road 4 front tire.

In my experience, the PR 4 is not as good as the PR3. On my bike, the front tire wore out the softer portion of the dual compound tire. Looking from the top, it had a pronounced "V" profile, with the harder compound in the center, and a sharp angle out to the chicken strip. The bike lost its smooth transition into the curves. Did not like the feeling of that and replaced the tire. Strange that the front tire wore out before the rear.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an extra 40 or so ponies at the rear wheel makes a big difference. Or maybe in my case, the rider is throttle-happy Laughing
I've had no funny wear on either PR2s or 4s, but then I don't do a lot of motorway miles, and don't have to regularly negotiate rush hour traffic.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/08/31/mitas-touring-force-tire-review-sport-touring-rubber/amp/ there's a review I've not done many miles on them yet mainly cold wet miles to me they are as good if not better than pr4s which I've had in the past. They are definitely better in the dry. Bike is a ninja 650 for reference the germans with bmws seem to love them
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Maxxis Supermaxx Diamond

Full BCF thread here

They were £175 in 2012 and apart from the rear spinning when racing around in a wet I think most points were mentioned in the reviews.

Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Kris wrote:
Maxxis Supermaxx Diamond

Full BCF thread here

They were £175 in 2012 and apart from the rear spinning when racing around in a wet I think most points were mentioned in the reviews.

Thumbs Up

Glad about that.
They got decent reviews in general unless you were absolutely caning the tits off the bike, so I ordered a set on my way home with the local fitter. £180 fitted & balanced.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

so I ordered a set on my way home with the local fitter. £180 fitted & balanced.

Cool. Make sure you post after your first ride with them - it's an aggressive profile and makes the bike turn faster than usual sport touring tyres Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Tyre time. Again. Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

so I ordered a set on my way home with the local fitter. £180 fitted & balanced.

Cool. Make sure you post after your first ride with them - it's an aggressive profile and makes the bike turn faster than usual sport touring tyres Thumbs Up

I'll probably have to commute to work, which is only 4 miles so it'll be a very short impression. I'll see if I can squeeze in an essential bimble to the shops after work.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 19 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having given them a fairly decent test today... it's been dry, if not warm, today in N.Wales.

They tip in very quickly compared to the Dunlops I'm used to. It's a little unnerving at first. Despite the initial "fuck!" feeling getting used to the speed it tips in, I've not had any moments. Mixed some motorway, Sweeping A roads, and nadgery back lanes. Nice, linear grip. I suspect it'll do very well on a nice warm day and giving it more beans, see if we can get those strips gone.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread prompted me to have a gander at my XSR tyres. Given the current situation of low mileage (probably until well into the summer) I don't thing I'll ever wear these out before they need changing due to old age Shocked

I'll budget to change them in the autumn when both mileage and rainfall are likely to go up. The Phantoms are... well, just too weird looking so they're not on the list so I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Road 4, Continental Road Attack 3 or Dunlop Roadsmart 2 Thinking

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:06 - 21 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The Phantoms are... well, just too weird looking so they're not on the list so I'm thinking Michelin Pilot Road 4, Continental Road Attack 3 or Dunlop Roadsmart 2 Thinking

I have given Bridgestone T30 Evo's a go for a change. More towards the sporty side of sports touring but very good so far. Not the cheapest though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen so far it's >£150 for a pair of decent, main brand tyres anyway. I'll add them to the list for evaluation Thumbs Up

Just after all round performance, reasonable in the wet tyres.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with a few of the above posts, Pilot roads in whatever version you can get for your budget.

Back 5-10 years ago I had two sets of Pilot Road 2's on a zx7r which were quite frankly excellent. Didn't finish the second set, but they really were good. With the first set I completed two novice trackdays and used it for my day to day commuting, ride outs etc (was my only vehicle) and from memory over 7k miles on the rear. Which I thoujght was rather impressive, after getting barely 2.5k from a old school set of Pirelli Diablo.

I did put some PR5 on the Street Triple and the MT09 and they were excellent on those bikes too, though never got close to wearing them out (didn't do enough miles in my ownership on them).

When these continentals (I think) die on the VFR800fi, I will be going back to some PR's

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my modest experience, new tyres feeling like they tip in really quick is just a response to previously having to work harder to tip in the squared off tyres you have just replaced.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo wrote:
In my modest experience, new tyres feeling like they tip in really quick is just a response to previously having to work harder to tip in the squared off tyres you have just replaced.

There's also the bedding in time. Some brands are going to a bit more lively than others in the first few hundred miles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2