Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Visual Studio 2019

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:46 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Visual Studio 2019 Reply with quote

Hi Peeps,
Well Visual Studio 2019 still a free download, and I didn't have it seeing as its a newish machine.
Seems VB isn't dead after all, so unless you want to learn C#, or C++ etc, which I didn't, it's back to VB for me. I think they are calling VB.Net just VB now.

Got the bike MOT'd, Taxed & Insured Friday, so am playing with the above. Yeah, I know I should be out on it, but I want to fit the relays for the lights, sort out a few other things... so later.

Anyway I'm making this, it's still beta (so not quite there yet), but want it to help set control registers with multi settings.

16 Bits as that's the processor I'm currently working with.

Put your values in either the Denary/Hex/Binary boxes on the top line (any one) and hit 'compute', to get the other boxes filled in.

With the first compute done the values can be in the second row using the shift buttons.

Values can be copied from the History text area below.

Chillin Cool

GB

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to urinate on your cornflakes but have you checked the "Programmer Mode" on Windows calculator?

BTW VB is mostly seen as a legacy language now so it lags behind all the kewl stuff jammed into C#. (Although TBF I started (>30 years ago) with Pascal and C so Java & C# are pretty easy to get into.) Anyhoo, it all goes back through Roslyn so same resulting code spat out.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Not to urinate on your cornflakes but have you checked the "Programmer Mode" on Windows calculator?

Fuck it, that's what I wanted Brick Wall ...just checked the copy & paste... sorted, thank you very much geezer Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Dance!

Well, as far as VS goes.... I had a play, I've had enough of that shit now.... Pass the popcorn

Yeah, I thought VB was history, but seems it's not, least not yet.

Couldn't you have bloody posted earlier.. Laughing

GB

Update: It's awesome especial the bit toggling keypad and options of Dword etc... magic Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 16 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I were doing an enhanced calculator, like the Windows programmer one, I might add some auto conversion of byte sequences to ASCII, UTF8, UTF16, etc. Sorta half way towards a traditional hex editor Thinking

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I think if I were doing an enhanced calculator, like the Windows programmer one, I might add some auto conversion of byte sequences to ASCII, UTF8, UTF16, etc. Sorta half way towards a traditional hex editor Thinking

I didn't want to do it from the start just got fed up converting between Denary Hex & Binary then trying to create a binary value for 16 bits that configured multiple control registers in one value. I wanted to tweak the bit values on the fly and have it instantly converted. I was flipping between web pages to do the calcs, and was driving me nuts.

I didn't realise how far the MS calc has improved. that was a really good call Thumbs Up , you saved me days not having to create that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1