Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Inter-biker Etiquette

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Inter-biker Etiquette Reply with quote

Tried searching the forum, but admittedly I am a complete shit house so probably fucked up.

Anyway, is there some kind of inter-biker etiquette? I personally nod at every scooter or motorbike (fuck cyclists though) but I reckon about 1 in 3 don't reciprocate. Nothing wrong with that, I was just wondering if there is a biker hierarchy where L-plates aren't worthy of a nod or head-tilt or big-bike riders don't acknowledge smaller bikes, etc.

I did figure out though that some nod, some tilt and I even had two waves.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Inter-biker Etiquette Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I was just wondering if there is a biker hierarchy where L-plates aren't worthy of a nod or head-tilt or big-bike riders don't acknowledge smaller bikes, etc.

Oh it's really complicated.... eg if you ride a BMW, or wear a hi-viz jacket, the chances of anyone nodding at you go down to about 1 in 5.
And if you ride a beemer and wear hi-viz, you might as well forget it... Crying or Very sad

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Inter-biker Etiquette Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I was just wondering if there is a biker hierarchy where L-plates aren't worthy of a nod or head-tilt or big-bike riders don't acknowledge smaller bikes, etc.

Oh it's really complicated.... eg if you ride a BMW, or wear a hi-viz jacket, the chances of anyone nodding at you go down to about 1 in 5.
And if you ride a beemer and wear hi-viz, you might as well forget it... Crying or Very sad

Mate I literally nodded a guy on a GS who was in fluro jacket and trousers and he fucking blanked me Crying or Very sad

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Inter-biker Etiquette Reply with quote

Mate I literally nodded a guy on a GS who was in fluro jacket and trousers and he fucking blanked me Crying or Very sad

He was probably trying to avoid falling of his bike in amazement...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Inter-biker Etiquette Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

He was probably trying to avoid falling of his bike in amazement...

On my way back into work at lunch I went past a fellow fat cunt who was on a purple Hayabusa, I nodded and he just kept looking at me as if he was amazed I had nodded too. Was kind of awkward as I held the gaze because I was thinking that the Hayabusa looks like an absolute pig of a bike in the flesh: it is fucking huge!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

they probably just hate you .. cos your fat .. and no i don`t nod to anyone .. particular fat bastards from jockland.. now fcuk off and post something sensible.. or talk to wee krankie cos she gonna need a friend soon..

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nod sometimes and sometimes not Confused Hey ho!
I always try to be good to L-platers as they are the next generation of bikers.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
they probably just hate you .. cos your fat .. and no i don`t nod to anyone .. particular fat bastards from jockland.. now fcuk off and post something sensible.. or talk to wee krankie cos she gonna need a friend soon..

Fair enough, I hate myself too. I'd say we can have a fight if you want but I'd need to end it in a couple or swings or I'd be out of puff.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

And how do you clock the L-plate when they're riding towards you? Thinking

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
pepperami wrote:

Probably by the visible L plate on the front of the bike Laughing

But yes, i nod most bikes/bikers i see, though i find scooterists the least likely to reciprocate.................... and Harley riders

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 15:48 - 17 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you meet a Harley rider in a pub or similar location, it's best to reach out and gently squeeze their testicles to show that you aren't scared of them.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
it's best to reach out and gently squeeze their testicles

I thought this was the customary greeting south of the border anyway Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:11 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find if I'm coming up to a tricky bit where attention to the road is more important than waving to fellow bikers well the biker will always come second.
I don't care what you think of me, when it's a toss up between my safety and your feelings... no contest.

If that knob in a car isn't looking at me, or showing the slightest clue that they know I'm there, I'm hardly gonna look away to wave at someone...

Apart from that I wave at all bikers, and if they blank me, that's fine. they may be thinking about something else .... or just don't like the fucking look of me, but that's fine too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ride a motorbike you don't nod at scooter riders. Have you learnt nothing from Quadrophenia?!

But yes, there's a mysterious class-based system on who to nod to. Not receiving a nod may not be a slight, the other rider might actually be concentrating on the road (or not falling off as mentioned of BMW riders.)

From my experience either the Rebel or XSR seems to be an acceptable bike for Harley riders or other classic type bike ppl to nod back to. I'd image something like a CB1100, Z900 or a Bonnie would be even better.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to get a lot more nods once I moved on from a 125. I find 125 riders the least likely to respond to a nod too, probably because they are all 17 and don't care about such things Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nod to everyone on 2 wheels with an engine if it's safe for me to do so.
There's a chance they are an ex pupil!
I've been stared through by people on milwankee fuckdumpers more than once (coz not sons of anarchy enough) just carried on with my day.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a really over the top camp wave and shout 'Yoo-hoo' at the top of your voice.

Not inside the M25 of course, no nodding or greetings to other bikes should be carried out in that area of the UK.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:07 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If you meet a Harley rider in a pub or similar location, it's best to reach out and gently squeeze their testicles to show that you aren't scared of them.

FFS, you're on your own next time you try to make friends with homosexual Harley riders. Rolling Eyes

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone on plates nods at me I feel affronted. They should wait till I decide in my magnificence to nod, or not, to them, then they can nod to me in a submissive way. Hardley riders can only nod to that ilk of machine. Sports bikes can go fuck themselves. Us Adventure bike riders are the Lords and masters of the road because we have found the truth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go too early / when the other person is far away and then end up having to double nod just encase they hadn't seen. I wonder how many drivers behind me wonder if I suffer some sort of intermittent head shaking issue. Laughing

I don't know how many nod back because I try and focus on where I'm going.

I pulled up beside a Ducati at a set of lights having ignored him at the set shortly before because I was filtering to the front (where he was sat) and said hello like an excited pervert. He wasn't beside me just up the road. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Try a really over the top camp wave and shout 'Yoo-hoo' at the top of your voice.

Not inside the M25 of course, no nodding or greetings to other bikes should be carried out in that area of the UK.

Saying that, I have noticed in RoyalJordanian's videos that bikers in London hardly ever acknowledge each other. The filtering is also different and London drivers seem to be more aware that filtering is legal. Driving around Glasgow I always get cunts beeping at me when I filter to the front and then you get the overly butthurt first driver who's now angry I am in front of them and they creep to within centimetres of my pegs and rev a little bit as if it's going to intimidate me or something Rolling Eyes one of the reasons I cannot wait to move up from a 125cc is so that I can enter hyperspace off the line away from those types.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
If someone on plates nods at me I feel affronted. They should wait till I decide in my magnificence to nod, or not, to them, then they can nod to me in a submissive way. Hardley riders can only nod to that ilk of machine. Sports bikes can go fuck themselves. Us Adventure bike riders are the Lords and masters of the road because we have found the truth.

You're that guy on the GS with the full fluro gear on that ignored me ain't you Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
pepperami wrote:

By the L-plate attached to the front of thier bike Thinking
I just felt the need to put that out there Smile Thumbs Up

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:45 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, when i ride with my girlfriend I always get her to wave (In spain we don't nod) to other bikers. But I give her so much shit if she accidentally waves to a scooter boy.

It started as a joke because she was like "why do the scooter riders never wave back?" and I was like "wait you wave to the scooters too? Thats so embarassing".

But a few weeks ago I rented a scooter for some shits and giggles and noone gave me a biker wave. Harleys and BMWs here sometimes do wave. But scooters never. And sports bike riders nearly always.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Ha, when i ride with my girlfriend I always get her to wave (In spain we don't nod) to other bikers. But I give her so much shit if she accidentally waves to a scooter boy.

It started as a joke because she was like "why do the scooter riders never wave back?" and I was like "wait you wave to the scooters too? Thats so embarassing".

But a few weeks ago I rented a scooter for some shits and giggles and noone gave me a biker wave. Harleys and BMWs here sometimes do wave. But scooters never. And sports bike riders nearly always.

I thought that all countries where you drive on the right done the same thing as the Yanks: the two fingers towards the road thing Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2