Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Jacking point for a 2007 Honda CB600F Hornet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

pilotmike7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:53 - 21 Mar 2021    Post subject: Jacking point for a 2007 Honda CB600F Hornet Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I need some advice on where to safely jack my 2007 Honda Hornet, I need to change the fork seals and need to get the bike high enough to remove them.

I have a paddock stand to stabilize the bike straight but need to know where would be a safe point if any to jack the bike up mid to front with a car jack and a jig made from wood?

Any advice would be appreciated!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block of wood under the flattest bit of sump. If your garage has rafters though a ratchet strap to lift it upward is easier and less likely to fail.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:14 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a rear paddock stand you can very carefully put a block of wood under the exhaust headers (assuming they are not made of rust) and jack it up that way, but it's not very stable.

You're best off with a headstock type front paddock stand, but again you can't use it without a rear paddock stand.

https://www.motea.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a5bcf6e5787004a02b518212638fea9f/2/9/295123-01-1605122394-295123-0.jpg

An ABBA stand is reasonably priced and will keep the bike stable, and to be honest, the ABBA stand is the only way I'd be comfortable using a jack under the front of the bike due to it's shape.

https://images.esellerpro.com/3799/I/100/792/Abba-Superbike-Standa.jpg

Whatever you do, don't just jack up the front end without any other support... it won't work and you might end up with a bike on top of you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:18 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an earlier 98 model Hornet and was gonna suggest putting a block of wood/jack under the headers (directly at the point they bend to go into the collector box - which is a strong point) to jack the front up.

But I looked at a pic of the 07 Hornet and realised this probably won't work out if you have the standard exhaust system - because the headers sweep out to the RHS rather than run directly under the engine - and there is also a cat/conv in the way?

Looks like the arrangement of the exhaust system precludes getting anything under the sump also?

If it's not possible to get anything under the headers/sump because of the reaons mentioned I would get a front headstock stand (to compliment your rear paddock stand) to carry out work on the forks (you might also have to remove the headlight cowling in order to use the headstock stand).

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my XJ600 (Seca) I jacked under the engine and then, once the fork was out, I put a wooden prop under the headstock to the floor. I was using a hydraulic jack and, sure enough, over time the jack slowly dropped away from the engine, so the prop was taking all the weight.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:07 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal choice would be to use an engine hoist and suspend it rather than to try and jack it up, or as WR6133 says, hang it from your garage rafters.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Block of wood under the flattest bit of sump. If your garage has rafters though a ratchet strap to lift it upward is easier and less likely to fail.

Depends 100% on the suitability/integrity of rafters.

Not all rafters are created equally.

Generally would be ok but for the unenlightened/foolhardy it can easily (reliably) lead to disaster/death/or worsererer.

pilotmike7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I ended up using the paddock at the rear, made the jig for the jack and carefully hoisted it just enough to clear the forks.

Used a sheet and some old paving slabs to keep the back end weighed down, worked no problem!

Fork seal job wasn't to bad either just a bit messy!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilotmike7 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I ended up using the paddock at the rear, made the jig for the jack and carefully hoisted it just enough to clear the forks.

Used a sheet and some old paving slabs to keep the back end weighed down, worked no problem!

Fork seal job wasn't to bad either just a bit messy!

Thumbs Up Necessity is the mother of invention.. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised exhaust header pipes were strong enough to act as a lifting point (with a block of wood under them), and wary of hanging much weight from a joist. Is a sump strong enough to act as a lifting point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1