Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The UK Vaccine nationalism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:19 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we used EU rules that any country in Europe could have used to go it alone on the vaccine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Actually, we used EU rules that any country in Europe could have used to go it alone on the vaccine.

We didn't, we had already left so those rules didn't apply to us at the time. The EU offered to let us join their scheme and politely refused.

It's true that any EU country COULD have gone it alone, but actual EU members who tried it, Netherlands, Germany and co. were leaned on so hard that they defaulted back to the fold very quickly.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: The UK Vaccine nationalism Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I'd be flamed for commenting on your thread.

Do you know what a contract is?

Why EU contract don't prevent the EU from exporting 77m doses, but somehow UK contract bans export and the EU are the bad guys here?

Rolling Eyes

EU export controls are barely making it fair, because Astra Zeneca is braking its EU contract in favor of the UK.

Data from today show EU has exported 21m doses to the UK and 77m in total all produced in the EU.

UK has exported 0 vaccines!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-25/eu-reveals-huge-vaccine-exports-amid-struggle-to-speed-up-shots
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU data, no doubt. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, why are they talking like they’re a country? It was Belgium which supplied the early batches of vaccines and the EU as a whole had little to do with it. The one thing the EU institution could and should have done was to have its regulatory authority approve the vaccines quickly, and they failed. The EU also cocked up the purchasing stage too, when they’d always asserted that there was might in an economic bloc. FFS, AstraZeneca are making the stuff at cost!

The EU has really shown itself up, and businesses will be wary of it. I’d laugh my arse off if it weren’t for the sad fact that the people will continue to suffer from the disease and from lockdown far longer than was necessary. Everyone’s treading carefully so as not to bruise EU egos but the institution’s reputation is now dirt. Even Val knows it unless he’s dafter than we think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I shouldn't bite but I'm bored, I've fried my tablet and wifie is watching Hemmeroidale on the gogglebox so here goes....

So what about vaccine imports? FFS the EU can't even get the vaccines they are stock piling into people arms. They want us to supply AZ vaccines yet they don't want to give them to their citizens (who, lets be honest, with the adverse PR AZ have got from the EU, don't want it anyway).

Lets call it what it is Val, a smokescreen to try and deflect the attention away from the utterly calamitous performance the EU have shown in their whole vaccine rollout. In the article below there is the graph of 1 day in the life of vaccinations, The day the UK vaccinated the most people they ever have done in 24hours' The UK vaccinated 844285. The whole EU did less, 841828. That wasn't down to the lack of vaccines, it was down to pure incompetence.

Also. you do know the UK exports constituents of the vaccines to companies in Europe who use those to make the finished article. Pfizer in Belgium have already said if the UK blocks those exports they won't be able to make their vaccine. The plant in the Netherlands in an AZ plant owned by AZ and not the EU so even if they block exports it doesn't mean the vaccines go to the EU, it just means AZ will have to export them to someone else or they could just sit on them unless the EU decides to add theft to their list of naughtiness.

Personally, I hope it's all sorted out amicably but I can't see that happening. The EU want to kick us because of Brexit and daring to do better on our own and we have a government that will do a Churchill sign to the EU at any given opportunity. Fcuking children could do better.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/22/uk-vaccinates-more-people-in-one-day-than-a-dozen-eu-nations-combined

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/07/19/103623206_-_churchill_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqbwjJfl94PiMrTGifp-1BkJ5QPMEnr1YogE1l8oKYrPI.jpg

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
EU data, no doubt. Rolling Eyes

Just learn to use Google mate.

25 March 2021 EU has exported 77m covid vaccine doses including 21m doses to the UK.
UK has exported 0 vaccines.

UK has vaccinated 28m people.
EU has vaccinated 55m people.

Everybody in the UK government and BCF are now convinced that me and the EU are the bad guys Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did.
Quote:
Ursula von der Leyen tells EU leaders that bloc has sent 21 million jabs to UK

They don’t even want the AZ so what’s their problem? Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody feel ashamed how the UK has handled Covid vaccines? Or any gratitude to EU sending 21m doses to the UK?

Boris Johnson praised himself today about vaccine rollout story.... a true story of vaccine nationalism and wretched contracts that ban vaccine export to other countries....you must be so proud.

UK exports of Covid19 vaccines: 0.

https://i.imgur.com/jRut6gb.jpg

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all.

the EU’s anger at the UK for placing orders earlier is misplaced. If the UK had not ordered early, factories in Europe would not have started making vaccines early in the first place – and there would be fewer for everyone.

If anything, the EU should be thanking the UK for huge investment in continental factories kickstarting vaccine manufacturing earlier than it was expecting.

The truth is that the bloc knew its hostile export blockade threats were only ever about optics. EU countries are sitting on millions of unused doses they cannot get into people’s arms thanks to months of mishandling, misinformation and muddied waters.

And what’s the answer? More Europe, less democracy. Doh!

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1375028025738338307

Netherlands and Spain get a mention but you just know when the EU abandons unanimity voting it’ll be France and Germany holding the reigns. Mission accomplished.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
...you must be so proud.

UK exports of Covid19 vaccines: 0.

Cry me a river Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Anybody feel ashamed how the UK has handled Covid vaccines?

You do realise that 100% of the Astra Zeneca virus is British? It's all over Europe you cretin. We dont need to export it as we get it made inside the EU.

I can't believe people cant grasp such simple concepts.

It's like saying Nissan dont export any Nissan Jukes to the UK so they must hate them.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56483766
Once the UK plant has provided enough vaccine for the UK it will be able to supply the less well off countries too.
Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarians can just make the sign of the evil eye to ward off the virus. Or was that Transylvania? Thinking Meh, same difference.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Bulgarians can just make the sign of the evil eye to ward off the virus. Or was that Transylvania? Thinking Meh, same difference.

Garlic wasn't it? Or a silver bullet or a stake through the heart?

Anyway, enough on the methods of dispatching unwanted ̶V̶a̶l̶s̶̶ Viruses

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
unwanted ̶V̶a̶l̶s̶̶ Viruses

Valruses?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:45 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

I agree this is exactly why you left - and it is called ignorance.

The UK invested in AZ £65m pounds compared to The European Commission has made a 336 million euro ($396 million) downpayment in August 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-vaccine-price-idUKKBN25N25X

Never stop facts from preventing you spreading utter BS.

As I have said you can have your opinion, but you can not have your own facts.

The fact is UK has exported 0 vaccine doses compared to the EU exported 46m from which 10m to the UK.

You said it yourself. The UK invested in the Vaccine, to develop and fund it.
The EU made a down payment, to BUY it after it was ready.(Which they fucked up as well)

You're taking utter wank.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
unwanted ̶V̶a̶l̶s̶̶ Viruses

Valruses?

I am the Valrus, goo goo g'joob.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody feel ashamed how the UK has handled Covid vaccines? Or feeling any gratitude to EU sending 21m doses to the UK? I don't see that in the UK media, BBC or here at BCF.

Boris Johnson story of vaccine nationalism and wretched contracts that ban vaccine export to other countries....

This is a story about ethics and little Britain not about the miracles of early procurement. Also what good is the magic of eraly procurement if it is used to harm other countries by banning export to the whole world not only the EU?

The only reason the UK has higher vaccination rates is vaccine nationalism. If the EU has done the same and kept all the vaccine the EU rates would have been better. The EU has chosen not to be vaccine nationalist and exported more then 52% of all vaccines. The UK has exported 0%!

LSE blog about the same:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2021/03/25/has-the-uk-really-outperformed-the-eu-on-covid-19-vaccinations/

You need to look at yourself people.
Facts:

UK exports of Covid19 vaccines to the world: 0.
EU has exported 77m doses.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

You need to look at yourself people.

You're such a boring finger pointer.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Some more Guff.

You're a hateful little man.

It does beg the question: Why do you live here?
Oh because it's the best place for you. You can't argue or you would be elsewhere.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:21 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that the EU doesn't want fish caught by British fishermen or plants with British soil attached, I'm amazed they want our vaccine.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 15:35 - 28 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU is just in the midst of the biggest temper tantrum in recorded history. I hope they grow out of it soon, it's tiring picking up all their toys and putting them back in the pram.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s1080x2048/165499326_945649572868174_6622185427867609543_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=nKQKhXDELnAAX9bqKsF&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&tp=7&oh=ef55ce63a40a33675e58e83e0b454086&oe=6087A349
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:07 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Anybody feel ashamed how the UK has handled Covid vaccines? Or feeling any gratitude to EU sending 21m doses to the UK? I don't see that in the UK media, BBC or here at BCF.

No. You don't see it in the news because it would be fake news. Like the rest of the UK, I am immensely proud of how our government had handled covid vaccination. It's something all British people agree that regardless of how they have handled everything else, the government have done a bang-up job with the vaccine.

We are actually beginning to regret arranging for it to be supplied to the EU at cost price, it's not worth the aggro. If anyone should be showing gratitude, it is the EU towards the UK for proactively and prospectively funding an unknown vaccine, pre-ordering in qualtity soon enough to allow production facilities in the EU to be rapidly brought up to speed to facilitate a rapid roll-out and arranging for it to be supplied at cost.

Should have had it made here and sold it to the EU at a profit. Well, we live and we learn.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

You said it yourself. The UK invested in the Vaccine, to develop and fund it.
The EU made a down payment, to BUY it after it was ready.(Which they fucked up as well)

You're taking utter wank.

Ignorant BS. The UK invested in the Vaccine, to develop and fund it is another gammon myth.

The facts are different:

UK paid £65 in May, EU paid 336m EUR in Aug and the US paid about $1bln in May 2020.

Most of the US money come from Bill Gates foundation.

stinkwheel wrote:
Val wrote:

No. You don't see it in the news because it would be fake news. Like the rest of the UK, I am immensely proud of how our government had handled covid vaccination. It's something all British people agree that regardless of how they have handled everything else, the government have done a bang-up job with the vaccine.

The fact is Bill Gates has done 10 times more for the AZ vaccine then Boris Johnson. But yeah praise the Johnson. It is not only abou the EU the fact is because of Johnson's vaccine nationalism the UK has exported 0 vaccines to the whole world. You must be so proud.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/coronavirus-us-gives-astrazenena-1-billion-for-oxford-vaccine.html

How Astra Zeneca is funded by the UK given the fact the UK gave 5 times less money then the EU and 15 times less money then the US?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3