Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How good was Hendrix?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: How good was Hendrix? Reply with quote

I think this is maybe the best analysis I've heard, by a guitarist I haven't heard of before, Chris Buck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqYd5X6Dx58

Now watching a vid of Buck on Justin Guitar looking at some subtle techniques. He's an interesting player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGb7ErtD-Us
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how there can be a definitive answer to that question, because it would depend on your appreciation of his music genre.

I'm not a major fan of rock music, but I can appreciate those that are good at it.

My thing is jazz, so was Hendrix better than Django Reinhardt (for many a virtuoso) or, perhaps a better question, was he better than Les Paul, not only a brilliant technical player, but also an innovator of recording techniques, that lead to the things people like Hendrix was able to do?

As for Chris Buck, he's good at promoting himself as a YT influencer, but what else is he achieving?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:57 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can compare across genres too much. Thing about Hendrix was he was an innovator in his field. No one had heard anything like him in rock music before (and not forgetting he was a good blues player too). There have been jazz pioneers, blues pioneers, and rock pioneers etc. How different would rock and popular music be today without Hendrix? He also pushed the use of guitar effects. I'm sure Hendrix would have praised the jazz players you mention too.

Jazz...I'm not big on it, but like to draw an influence here and there, usually from blues players who touch on it (cos that's more my thing when I pick up a guitar). Kenny Burrell is about as jazzy as I go, but part of that is about production on old records. I'd like to hear a good modern player's take on Wes Montgomery for e.g., but usually I prefer something a bit more 'gnarly'.

I've only so far seen a couple of things from Chris Buck. He is apparently in a band (or has been) called Buck and Evans (Evans being the vocalist and keyboard player), and the only tune I've checked out so far was ok, but not mind-blowing. But often I hear more interesting things played by guitarists in settings other than the stage, when they're demonstrating a technique or style, so what I hear from him on these two videos I actually find more interesting than his live playing...so far. I'll check some more out some other time.

But my post was about Buck's analysis of why Hendrix made such an impact, and I think he's on the money more than many I have heard, or articulates it better at least.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard Hendrix play the guitar and I can say he is very good.

Fin.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who enjoys a wide and varied selection of music,I can say.
Listening to many genres.

Only one guitarist has stopped me in my tracks! Mr Hendrix Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

With someone like Hendrix I don't think it's about how good - He was good but there are better players - it's about innovation. He was good, innovative and a showman which added up to a stellar performer.

I wish I had been able to see him live.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perception is 100% of this.

Popularity can influence some people's perception too which is what fuels the moozik industry.

I like many 'famous' musicians and some not so famous.

Example, Yo Yo Ma the classical cellist plays probably as good as many but how the player interprets the music appeals to everyone in different ways and for many reasons.

Was Jimmy Hendrix the best guitarist?

Of course not.

He was very very good.

But there are many others as has been mentioned.

Was the Yamaha 1998 R1 the fasted sports bike ever.

Of course. Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did anyone watch the vid?
The discussion is an old one, but for those interested in Jimi, I just thought it was well presented, enjoyable to watch, and he laid out the case well, as well as demonstrating some of Jimi's technique nicely.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Only one guitarist has stopped me in my tracks! Mr Hendrix Thumbs Up

There have been a few for me. Stevie Ray Vaughan on the Live at the El Mocambo vid - never seen anyone so completely in what they were playing. Some Jeff Beck (live in Tokyo is my favourite) - Beck just constantly comes out with the unexpected. Tony McManus for some beautiful celtic-style acoustic.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I did, it seemed like he just wanted to show us his madskillz™

Up next 'Was Red Rum a fast horse?'

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of guitarists.

I saw Wilko Johnston (Dr Feelgood) back in the day.

Wow! He’s up there with the best imho!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two others spring to mind from a couple of performances I've seen: Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I did, it seemed like he just wanted to show us his madskillz™

This is what artists do, isn't it? Otherwise, they'd never get out of their house.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi and Stevie you could well believe signed their souls over to the devil they're not just good guitar players they're good musicians. Personally I can't see what the fuss is with Eddie Van Halen - just seems like noise to me not music. Jeff Beck's technically excellent but you don't ever feel you're in any danger, that whole thin line between madness and genius bit.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was all right but less is more. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=0wzsE67O5tE

Headphones for best effect. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

But that's the thing about that tune. It's very simple at its bare bones, so it's all about what you put into playing it. You can't just play it by rote, it'll sound crap. Same with a lot of blues stuff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

That Yookahlailai is as rattley AF, not pleasant. Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percussive is the word you were looking for. Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my headphones on, but unfortunately I could still hear it Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:25 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive as it is to play such a piece on a diminutive instrument the whole point of genius guitar work is to take you right to the edge of chaos but never quite tip you into the abyss.

tl;dr uke has no bollox, it's very hard to wring anything amazing out of it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

tl;dr uke has no bollox, it's very hard to wring anything amazing out of it.

Thumbs Up impressive
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1