Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Security chain Warning!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Security chain Warning! Reply with quote

Afternoon All,

Out of curiosity today I tried my 18v grinder on one of my Almax 22mm chains.

The chain lasted 75 seconds... Don't believe the drivel being spouted on various outlets of outstanding angle grinder resistance from these chains.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

An angle grinder will cut pretty much any chain and fairly quickly. 75 seconds is a long time I'd say if anything. It'll make a lot of noise while it's happening so a thief will need to be fairly brazen to do this for that long.

Someone needs to develop a chain with carbide bits embedded in it so it shreds the cutting disc . . .

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem surprised, but I'd say the huge investment required to get one of these 22 m chains brand new is probably the reason behind that.

Angle grinders will eat chains. You could open a never ending can of worms with this, but in the end the fact is that if someone wants it enough they'll find a way to get it; and even if its not on the first attempt. People have cut holes in the side of buildings etc (dealerships suchlike), there's not really a limit to how far some people will go. At what point does it just become easier to not own one and save the headache?

The fact we have chains that can be carried (16 mm) that are bolt cropper resistant is probably about as good as it will get. Unless someone invests a smaller more lighter angle grinder resistible device (in any form) in the future. If someone comes with a grinder then their hardly going to offer a bunch of flowers and say sorry when confronted.

22 m chains are questionable in themselves because how many people truly have something to wrap that around that offers as much security as the chain itself. What's the point if its secured to something that could be cut in less time than the chain and put in a van?

Go with multiple layers in various forms and hope for the best. Thumbs Up

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you're making noise, chances are no-one's going to say/do anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGttmR2DTY8

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennetts did a really good chain and lock test about 3 years ago and none of the chains survived more than a minute from memory.

As already suggested, a layered approach is more effective. Make it not worth the effort.

As for brazenness, well the thieves are emboldened beyond standing there in broad daylight angle grinding away at someone's pride and joy hoping not to be disturbed. They're actively threatening a hammer / disc in the face if you step in, so it's not like 17 seconds versus 170 seconds really matters. For this reason, anyone carrying a 22mm chain over a 19 or even 16mm (where bolt cropping might cross over) chain is mad if they think it'll save it, frankly.

Rogerborg used to suggest telling the police that with any theft there was a threatening of violence / use of offensive weapon to try to maximise the impact. I once tried to help a guy deal with an insurance claim where his dad had gone out onto the street to stop thieves from cutting chains and was pinned against the wall by one of them and told that he'd have his face sliced up if he intervened, and from memory he had heart problems and near collapsed with the stress of it all. Old bill?? Couldn't give a shit sir. See you in a week for a crime report to a PCSO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:32 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Cut out Reply with quote

Are there such things as remote engine immobilizers for bikes?
So if you are pushed off or present when bike nicked you can press a button and it can't be ridden off ?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Cut out Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
So if you are pushed off or present when bike nicked you can press a button and it can't be ridden off ?

Yeah, the alarm I had on my gixxer had RFID (automatically deactivated the alarm when you were within a few metres of the bike), microwave based proximity sensor, and anti hijack - the fob worked off FM up to a half mile away and you could remotely shut down the engine by holding the buttons on the fob down.

Slightly older version of this: https://ridescorpio.com/shop/srx-900-security-system/

Last edited by xX-Alex-Xx on 18:48 - 26 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't stop it being pushed though.

I'd wager a fair bit on most bikes being stolen by being wheeled away under the push power of another stolen bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:55 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Security chain Warning! Reply with quote

drzsta wrote:
The chain lasted 75 seconds... Don't believe the drivel being spouted on various outlets of outstanding angle grinder resistance from these chains.

How long were you expecting it to last?

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Security chain Warning! Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
drzsta wrote:

How long were you expecting it to last?

Possibly and rather naively after looking at reviews, somewhat longer than just over a minute considering I spent nigh on £500 for the two chains.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the age old discussion.

Professional thief? Nothing you can do if they want to steal something short of murder and hiding the body.

Scrotes? Yeah, loads of options, they'll most likely be toting stuff they've stolen from a garden shed. Unlikely they'll dip into their drug money to invest in a portable angle-grinder so mostly wire cutters and hammers. Multiple layers of decent security should do the trick.

A tracker would help in either case if you can be quick before the bike is either stripped or crashed into a hedge and doused in petrol.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:40 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Cut out Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
spongefinger wrote:

Yeah, the alarm I had on my gixxer had RFID (automatically deactivated the alarm when you were within a few metres of the bike), microwave based proximity sensor, and anti hijack - the fob worked off FM up to a half mile away and you could remotely shut down the engine by holding the buttons on the fob down.

Slightly older version of this: https://ridescorpio.com/shop/srx-900-security-system/

Looks like a good system. Not that expensive either.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:01 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which outlets say that the almax has outstanding angle grinder resistance?

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:14 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you sleep next to your bike with a shotgun on your lap, it can be nicked, all you can do is to make it as much of a pain in the arse as possible.
Just put as many decent chains and locks on as possible and make them visible, and keep the locks and chains on whenever your bike is not being ridden. Bikes are usually either stolen by opportunists or by thieves stealing to order. For both types you don't have to make the bike impossible to steal, just make it harder to steal than someone else's. Opportunists are probably not going to be carrying much in the way of heavy duty tools so won't try to nick anything too protected. Pro thieves will usually spend time scouting for bikes they want, seeing where they are kept and what security is used, they will then usually go for the one that is least protected. The more security you use and the more visible it is, the less likely it is that anyone will even try and steal it.

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Which outlets say that the almax has outstanding angle grinder resistance?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/tested-almax-immobiliser-series-v-and-squire-ss80cs-review

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:22 - 26 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a youtube video of the 22mm Almax being cut with an angle grinder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78HBNfzSGQ8

Bennetts wrote:
Of course it can be cut using an angle grinder

Wink

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Here's a youtube video of the 22mm Almax being cut with an angle grinder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78HBNfzSGQ8

Bennetts wrote:
Of course it can be cut using an angle grinder

Wink

Well, at least an angle grinder is noisy, thankfully my bikes live near my bedroom window.

ಠ_ಠ

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best you can hope for is security that mandates an angle-grinder attack. IIRC the worst thing is chain that can be popped with bottle jack, bolt cutters or cryo + sledge hammer.

Even braided cable can actually be super annoying if it's been designed correctly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

drzsta wrote:

Why were you stealing your bike?

Are you about to launch your own bike security product/s?

Owner-Pal®

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:36 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering lock, disclock, good chain locked to street furniture = gonna take a while to nick and gonna be a swine to move Thumbs Up

JimJam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:12 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people thoughts on not using the steering lock? Say for instance you chain the bike to a lamppost coupled with a disc lock and a cover. Does the steering lock add any worthwhile extra protection over that?

Would be annoying to have a broken steering lock from an attempted opportunist who then gave up on the chain/disc lock.

I’m going to have to keep a bike outside chained to a lamppost. Sucks I don’t have a garage or driveway, but at least I don’t live in a big city so I’m hoping a chain, cover and disc lock will be enough. Might even use a smaller cheaper chain to chain the cover down. Just for extra annoyance.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:23 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best deterent is a dog. Or 2 or 3.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimJam wrote:
What are people thoughts on not using the steering lock? Say for instance you chain the bike to a lamppost coupled with a disc lock and a cover. Does the steering lock add any worthwhile extra protection over that?

If there's obviously a disk lock and chain I doubt someone would waste time busting the steering lock first.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimJam wrote:

If someone's gonna try for your bike, chances are you ain't seeing it again so why make it easier for them?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimJam wrote:
Does the steering lock add any worthwhile extra protection over that?
Would be annoying to have a broken steering lock from an attempted opportunist who then gave up on the chain/disc lock.

I've wondered about this and I must admit I never bothered with the steering lock; my own security consisting of a locked garage at home and a disk lock when out and about. So I'm quite irritated that my latest insurance policy specifically excludes any cover for theft unless I do use the steering lock, even in my locked garage which is stupid and a PITA. (I can't risk the bike being stolen and subsequently recovered with an intact steering lock...)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2