Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noisy-er exhausts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:55 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Noisy-er exhausts Reply with quote

I know this topic has generally been done to death but as I'm getting older (but no wiser) I am now pondering getting a loud exhaust with more thought than I would have.

Is it still acceptable to have a mildly noisy exhaust (this is on a 1l twin) or is better to avoid getting noticed and stick to standard? Have people found they're more likely to spend the money elsewhere as they get older (suspension) or are you still keen to chuck on a fruity exhaust?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a carbon Scorpion can on it. Never gets a mention at MOT time, no baffle (one is supplied with it). It sounds nicer than standard, and removes a ton of weight. No one has ever complained at the noise, and it's not enough to be annoying on long trips. And of course it looks nicer than the original. Can't see why I wouldn't really*. I've been tempted to cut it down shorter for cosmetic reasons (although just shortening the link pipe would do me), but don't really want it louder.

Loud cans can sound nice to hear them on song once in a while, but I don't want to live with it all the time.

*It's also needed to get the best from the Ivans carb and air box mods.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy a blast on a loud bike but I've found the noisy bandit I've been using for commuting gets really wearing after a while. I like to be stealth, attracts less attention when I'm scudding about or riding off road. A bike can still be fruity sounding without being too loud. I don't subscribe to loud pipes save lives either, proper sirens barely work with vehicles ahead never mind a loud exhaust in my experience.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, it's "noisier" Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent slip on with a baffle is the right combination of volume and sound I find. Baffle also helps with backpressure so it's less likely it'll screw your fuelling up especially on the low end.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Baffle also helps with backpressure so it's less likely it'll screw your fuelling up especially on the low end.

On an otherwise standard bike.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

all depends on how loud and where & when your gonna ride it ..police checks on exhausts are few and far between .. atm ! .. perhaps a wise investment would be a dba. meter

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends; are you a rider or a cruiser? You can surely find pipes for your bike that will set off car alarms everywhere you go. Great if you are trying to attract attention, and many motorcyclists do. You could spend anywhere from a couple hundred quid to over a grand on an aftermarket exhaust system. Upgrade tires and suspension are an alternative. For some riders, 120 -160 miles ride on a technical, curvy road is a great way to spend your morning. Don't see many loud bikes out there.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
You could spend anywhere from a couple hundred quid to over a grand on an aftermarket exhaust system. Upgrade tires and suspension are an alternative.

Or you can do all three Smile And tune it too Very Happy And make it prettier Dance! And then do 200 miles on great roads, and in the mountains Bounce!

And then wind up skint, not being able to use any of it Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Don't see many loud bikes out there.

oh they are out there .. usually hangin around the "hot spots" .. hawes .. whitby .. devils bridge .. alston .. hartside .. keswick .. kielder .. rothbury .. and a myriad of other names that escape me .. principal motive bein conspicuous consumption ..

incidently .. i stood listenin to many last week end as they tanked it over the new Redheugh Bridge ....screamin into westgate road as i walked along the quayside ...

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ducati has an advisory on every MoT for "noisy exhaust" apart from when it failed because the cans said "not for road use" - It then passed with an advisory, presumably because the sticker had fallen off.

Apparently loud pipes save lives or something like that.

But then again I did see a thread where someone felt that new light weight wheels and better suspension made more of a difference to real world performance than a loud pipe so that was what they were going for.

And I already have loud pipes and decent suspension, so new wheels (and an alloy tank) are next on my list !! Mr. Green

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my SP engineering cans on for 2 mots and I haven't been reprimanded yet, mind you, I have tweaked the baffles slightly to take the edge off a bit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I've had my SP engineering cans on for 2 mots and I haven't been reprimanded yet, mind you, I have tweaked the baffles slightly to take the edge off a bit.

My ST had some plain no-name can on it, no markings whatsoever. It was loud! But I loved it, sometimes. And then I'd go for a ride to some idyllic spot in the Lake District for some peace and quiet in a beautiful place, and I hated it Laughing

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sportster has Vance and Hines short shots (and a tuner and screaming eagle filter) done to make it sound like a Harley but must be good for 3bhp extra,possibly.... it's quite loud but not too bad, my neighbors ricer is far louder.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
done to make it sound like a Harley but must be good for 3bhp extra,possibly....

WOW !!! Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Johnnythefox wrote:
done to make it sound like a Harley but must be good for 3bhp extra,possibly....

WOW !!! Rolling Eyes

I know, Harley, right?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Noisy-er exhausts Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:

Is it still acceptable to have a mildly noisy exhaust

Hope so, mine are all in the "Fuck living near this tosser", volume category.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R1 has twin akrapovic exhausts with baffles fitted and I am currently watching ebay for a pair of standard cans as I much prefer now to be quiet.............o how my views have changed since i turned 40 lol!

I loved being quiet on my Grom and its followed me on to the R1

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Johnnythefox wrote:

WOW !!! Rolling Eyes

Dude, he's like doubled his horsepower. I'd say that's a win.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decat Arrow headers and silencers on my Z1000 - allegedly they can have the baffles fitted.

Doesn't make a whole lot of noise unless you're really on it. I love the sound it makes but don't think it sounds as good as a twin / triple that's had the same work done.

DarthBlazer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:09 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had super loud exhausts, now I ride stock only. Have a slight buzzing in one ear and dont want it getting any worse

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever bike I end up with I am going to go decat full system as I have found them for both the Katana and the SuperSport can come like that from the dealer as an extra. I was going to go for full volume and then if I don't like it, come down the way again in stages till I find the spot I like.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the bike/exhaust combo - I have a cbr 600 with a Fuel exhaust and with the baffle in it's an improvement on stock - much smaller and a lot lighter than the stock can and a much nicer, more pleasing sound, but not so loud that it's annoying to me or other people - I'm pleased I fitted it.

On the other hand I fitted an after-market oval can to my Kawasaki ZX7R - and even with the baffle in the bike was just too loud - annoying on long trips even with ear plugs in - and embarassing around town - I used to keep the revs down in residential areas because the bike was so loud it was actually offensive - the can was stamped BSAU Road Legal and I had no problem with MOT's - but after the novelty wore off the extra noise detracted from the riding experience rather than complimented it.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:22 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teenager wants a louder exhaust for the Mito but I'm 2 minds as strokers can be somewhat harsh when loud if not properly matched to the rest of the tune (I'm old enough to remember 350LCs with bean can microns)

Last edited by Blah blah on 18:55 - 30 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha R series bikes’ with TOCE endcans seem to the head banging thing in N London. Oddly, they turn into head scratchers with a fail ticket in their mitts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4