Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noisy-er exhausts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my exhaust is Quite Loud Enough Already ThankYou, the mention last week of something called "Thunderheaders" by Jeffyjeff has made me go and have a look.

And they do sound rather fun.

I've not yet succumbed to the comfort vs madness aspect of riding bikes, but I have given consideration to (a) heated grips and (b) proper riding boots/leathers/draggin jeans (based on continuing weightloss, of course) and even *gasp, shock horror* ... (c) possibly a teensy weensy small waffer-thin fairing Shifty

But more noise. Yes, definitely.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:08 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actively trying to find quieter exhausts Laughing , especially for doing green lanes.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:
The teenager wants a louder exhaust for the Mito

I think two strokes are very Bovril in their sound - I personally think they sound (and smell) amazing but that may be me chasing my own long gone teenage years...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Blah blah wrote:
The teenager wants a louder exhaust for the Mito

I think two strokes are very Bovril in their sound - I personally think they sound (and smell) amazing but that may be me chasing my own long gone teenage years...

Smell of a 2-stroke exhaust is second only to the exhaust of a turbine/jet. There's something wrong with people who don't like either Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Smell of a 2-stroke exhaust is second only to the exhaust of a turbine/jet. There's something wrong with people who don't like either Laughing

Napalm in the morning?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

always preferred the whiff of agent orange in the evening me sen, like

i remember i put a delkovic (sp??) on my 2011 klx250 - their website said no other modifications required - yeah. right. what shit that was. check out exhaust / can mods on the klx250 on the ADV forum - notoriously prone to stalling afterwards. of course, i only read that after

obvs it had to go - because the moment i was tackling something tricky it would conk out - v. annoying

i also put a can by Fuel on a '90s cb500 - seemed to affect mid range quite noticeably - eventually out oem back on and enjoyed no flat spots

i really love the idea of weight saving (that was why I tried to ditch the stock KLX can) - and have wanted noise too in the past

now i "just" want less weight *and* less noise and stock performance (or more)

imo and in general i prefer the sound of twins on road, and fours better on track - triples whine too much but the daytona sounds great on track - v4s sound nice every where and the cross plane r1 sounds good on both

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
triples whine too much

Sound great with an open can, but it's living with it all the time. Fine for shorter sunny Sunday blasts.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MC Tunes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:43 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a fruity grumble but loud exhausts are for pathetic attention seekers who need to make a grand entrance everywhere they go.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Tunes wrote:
Nothing wrong with a fruity grumble but loud exhausts are for pathetic attention seekers who need to make a grand entrance everywhere they go.

Did make a good episode of South Park though.

https://media.paperblog.fr/i/251/2510110/south-park-13x12-the-f-word-L-1.jpeg

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a chav cannon on the CBR, even with the baffle out it's not that loud. When you wind it on then it begins to get noticed further away.

Pedestrians stop to check before crossing.

The RC8 has an obnoxiously loud aftermarket can, shaved 6kg in weight so I'll just put earplugs in every ride, NMFP.

That gets heard 1/4 mile away, so gives plenty of notice to pedestrians, even car drivers get to hear its glorious baritone rumble. Unfortunately it sounds like a helicopter so people look up instead of across.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="xX-Alex-Xx"]
1198 wrote:

the smell of a 2 stroke exhaust used to remind me of cats piss Sick

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

loud pives save lipes

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I have a cat.i can assure you her piss is nothing like 2 stroke Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Never noticed that. Old fork oil now...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Tunes wrote:

Of course they are, dear.
*Someone* has to do it Rolling Eyes

MC Tunes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:33 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

loud pives save lipes

That's the same bullshit argument used by the police wannabes who dress head to toe in dayglo.
Be seen be safe.
Bollox.
There's no verifiable research into that claim or that loud pipes serve any purpose other than to annoy people and make you look like a sad twat.
Would you walk into a pub or down the High Street shouting LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME?
No but that's exactly what you do on your hideously loud bikes probably thinking everyone thinks you're cool and wishes they were you, where in reality they just think you're a tosser.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Tunes wrote:
loud pives save lipes

That's the same bullshit argument used by the police wannabes who dress head to toe in dayglo.
Be seen be safe.
Bollox.
There's no verifiable research into that claim or that loud pipes serve any purpose other than to annoy people and make you look like a sad twat.
Would you walk into a pub or down the High Street shouting LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME?
No but that's exactly what you do on your hideously loud bikes probably thinking everyone thinks you're cool and wishes they were you, where in reality they just think you're a tosser.

Loud pipes save WEIGHT. That's it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a Black-Widow exhaust on my bike and I love it.
It’s half the weight of the original exhaust and seems to allow the engine to rev that bit higher IF I was to need it.
It is louder than stock but not Earth shattering.

However when I went on my ‘Wales Failed’ tour last year, it certainly highlighted how intrusive a loud exhaust can be on long trips Sad .

Aftermarket down-pipes for me and a quieter end can next time.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Honda CBR with what sounded like an open exhaust system was coming up behind me in traffic the other day.

I definitely heard it before I saw it.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:43 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here having to turn the telly up due to tinnitus due to a lifetime of noisy shit.

You can ram noisy pipes up yer hoop

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, my cans are louder that the originals.
I wanted something not obnoxious but with a nice tone, which I think I have.
They can drone a bit on longer roads but earplugs are always worn anyway.
I'm very much not a look at me rider but it is handy that drivers are made more aware of my presence due to the pipes.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Tunes wrote:
loud pives save lipes

Be seen be safe.
Bollox.

hence my spelling

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
...a lifetime of noisy shit.

Maybe more fibre.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Tunes wrote:

No need to shout.

In fact, because mine is a Harley, people (tourists/other) seem to expect it, and are often already smiling at you before you even open up.
Even if they are thinking "Here comes one of those noisy twats", they can't help themselves.
Sometimes they encourage you, standing at the lights grinning goonishly at you, they even twist their wrist at you, like "go on, give it some".
So ya do.

In London, even in the shitty parts, there is always an audience.
You can get away with more, um, pageantry Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

In fact, because mine is a Harley, people (tourists/other) seem to expect it, and are often already smiling at you before you even open up.
Even if they are thinking "Here comes one of those noisy twats", they can't help themselves.
Sometimes they encourage you, standing at the lights grinning goonishly at you, they even twist their wrist at you, like "go on, give it some".
So ya do.

because its a novelty .. a surf boarding dog would get the same attention
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4