Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First proper bike - Speed Twin ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:58 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: First proper bike - Speed Twin ? Reply with quote

Im 39 and currently doing my DAS, if Covid ever lets me finish it !

Before my CBT I had never ridden a bike before, when I was young my uncle had a bad accident on his, and it kinda put the whole family off them, intensive care for a long time etc

My wife on the other hand has always been around them, her dad is an ex bike mechanic, so she has always wanted to get her licence, which she has done, and then talked me into a CBT and now onto my DAS

I really want to get a Triumph Speed Twin, but im worried it might be too much for me as a first bike, though im far more sensible now than when I was younger, and the wife got a Street Triple as her first bike and has managed ok

Im currently learning on a Kawasaki ER6N and find it perfectly manageable, I also own a 125 so I can get some experience in between my lessons, which are spread out due to work and covid lockdowns

Im just after some opinions really, I think keeping it in Rain Mode for a while might be a good idea, what did you all have as your first proper bike

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine. Just relax.

I've ridden one quite hard and think it's an excellent bike. I've also tootled back to the shop on the same bike and thought it was pretty neutral handling, well mapped for throttle response, had plenty of torque to cover up poor gear selection etc - could chug along all day on one easily enough. But if you wind it up, it has the capability to become a bit of an animal when you want it to.

Have you sat on one yet? One thing I will say is that for what looks like an upright naked retro bike, it's actually quite forward canted with pegs behind where you'd expect. I found myself slipping down the tank and couldn't get really comfortable. Some tank knee pads would probably have helped.

Last edited by arry on 09:04 - 29 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you not be able to go out on the triple to get a better idea rather than ask us if you are a pussy?
Just kidding, I think you'd be fine with it really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am yet to sit on one, so that may change things entirely, but I love the retro looking bikes, I was originally looking at a Street Twin, but was worried it might be a bit small for me, as im 6ft1", and also the Speed Twin is the bike I really wanted anyway

I have now got a Mod1 booked so hopefully no covid spikes, and I pass and onto Mod2

I have sat on the wifes Street Triple and I felt pretty bunched up but obviously not rode it

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Street Twin is less aggressive a position - I'd assumed they'd be the same but weren't. Unless you're buying the 2019 onwards model the earlier ones are a bit....pedestrian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:20 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea it would be a 2019 onwards Street Twin, likely a brand new one as the used ones seem to want nearly the same price as new, if its a Speed Twin that would definitely be a used one, prob 1-2 years old

I wouldnt get on with something too crouched, I have a bad back so need something fairly relaxed, the ER6N im learning on has been fine so far, riding for 2-3 hours not a problem

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily crouched as much as canted forwards. The hip / knee angle isn't what you'd expect when you look at a naked retro.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:33 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly the speed twin isnt on cycle ergo for me to check and compare, so will need to have a sit on one once the dealers open again

I presume the T120/100 are a bit more upright than the speed twin ?

They seem to hold their value a bit better used, are they on tubed tyres ?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - just something to be aware of. I mean I liked the bike enough that I would have found a way to make it work; knee pads, seat cover, whatever really to stop me sliding forward.

I really enjoyed my ride out on one.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50075264486_acc58bf4d7_c.jpg

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:56 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

if as you say the position is a bit more sporty/crouched than im expecting, id best start looking at T100/T120 too

thanks

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
if as you say the position is a bit more sporty/crouched than im expecting, id best start looking at T100/T120 too

thanks

In the end there is no substitute for sitting on it or even waiting till you pass your test then getting a rest ride.

I bought a gen 1 busa because I'd always wanted one. After a week I was ordering a set of rear sets because the standard position killed my knees. It's a pity we don't have electric moving seats and handlebars on bikes. Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get one, make sure you get the fruity exhaust Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Twin and Street Triple are as different as red and brown sauce.
Having ridden both, I'd happily have either...

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:47 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends if were talking with breakfast or not, brown for breakfast, red is for chips and burgers etc

is the speed twin a bit more relaxed position than a street triple

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:06 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

60-100bhp is OK for a newb IMO. Much more than that can get a bit twitchy, but it also depends on power delivery etc. I think a Street Twin would be OK, a Speed Twin on edge but OK. Both should be WAY more comfortable than a full on sportsbike.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:24 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea a sports bike isnt for me, my body couldnt take the position, nor do i want the silly power or like how they look really

hopefully rain mode tones it down a bit

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

hopefully rain mode tones it down a bit

You won't need rain mode - just leave it in Road. The Sport mode made the throttle a fair bit twitchier.

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:10 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a street cup?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:17 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:
What about a street cup?

it's got clip ons, so the riding position will be less comfy than the Speed twin or Street twin with traditional bars.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the speed twin a bit more relaxed position than a street triple

I found both comfortable, but if I wanted one for a full day in the saddle I'd choose the Twin. From memory I think the Twin was a bit more upright, but sitting in an upright position is a two-edged sword - great for a potter but not so good for hours on the motorway. I suppose it all depends on what sort of mileage you intend doing....

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:34 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I will be doing a lot of motorway miles

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:44 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i visited Triumph yesterday, and as already mentioned the speed twin foot pegs are not quite where i expected them to be and their is a forward lean, its not a sports bike lean but its definitely there, just sat on it in the car park i felt over the tank, its looking like the T120 will be the one for me, with my poor lower back and aging limbs its just a far more comfortable position for me, and probably suits my riding better anyway

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:20 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
well i visited Triumph yesterday, and as already mentioned the speed twin foot pegs are not quite where i expected them to be and their is a forward lean, its not a sports bike lean but its definitely there, just sat on it in the car park i felt over the tank, its looking like the T120 will be the one for me, with my poor lower back and aging limbs its just a far more comfortable position for me, and probably suits my riding better anyway

Always worth a try, but yeah, suspected as much. I was quite surprised by it, too.

Even my R NineT isn't as pronounced a forward cant as the Speed.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

have you considered the Royal Enfield interceptor 650?
much cheaper and very positive reviews.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

have you considered the Royal Enfield interceptor 650?
much cheaper and very positive reviews.

I've ridden an Interceptor pretty extensively through Spain and yeah, I'd agree with that. Lovely bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2