Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone mounts or Quadlocks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DarthBlazer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:54 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Phone mounts or Quadlocks Reply with quote

Anyone tried one? I have just picked one up and its transformed riding for me. No longer do I need to ride the same old roads Ive ridden for 5 years. Anyone else used one? I gotta say im worried about my phone falling off with more spirited riding or high winds Shocked

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:07 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you hear what people are saying on your phone over the wind noise?

Regarding finding alternate routes, I always just choose a random left or right and see where i turn up.

DarthBlazer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How do you hear what people are saying on your phone over the wind noise?

Regarding finding alternate routes, I always just choose a random left or right and see where i turn up.

The phone is connected to my helmet Bluetooth. Have had a couple of different helmets with it over the last few years, but the Shoei neotec 2 is by far the quietest. In fact, up to about 50mph it is as clear as sitting next to someone in the car. On the autobahn you'd probably have no chance of hearing someone Very Happy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:50 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I'd rather have my DAB radio in my ears than a phone jabbering.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this isn't spam then I'm from Mars.

However I'll bite. Quadlock maybe a good idea but the price is silly and it alienates a large chunk of the market by only offering options for flagship phones.

Almost £80, to me it utterly fails to justify that price on a value basis compared to a cheap case off eBay. The sole USP I can see compared to said cheap eBay case is it's simplicity of removal, however that's a big price premium to pay if you are just to lazy too unzip a case.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was purely for nav, I'd be more inclined to go with one of these.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/533426

I wouldn't be dicking around with trying to change music etc whilst moving anyway, so changing music etc I'd be pulling over regardless so phone will be in my pocket. Don't care about answering the phone when I'm moving.

DarthBlazer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:11 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
If this isn't spam then I'm from Mars.

However I'll bite. Quadlock maybe a good idea but the price is silly and it alienates a large chunk of the market by only offering options for flagship phones.

Almost £80, to me it utterly fails to justify that price on a value basis compared to a cheap case off eBay. The sole USP I can see compared to said cheap eBay case is it's simplicity of removal, however that's a big price premium to pay if you are just to lazy too unzip a case.

I am certainly not sponsored by quadlock although i'll take some commission if they are offering Very Happy

The biggest con is being trapped in, as Ive already bought the phone case im now going to get screwed in to buying the bicycle and car mount. Seems its all in or nothing!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
If it was purely for nav, I'd be more inclined to go with one of these.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/533426

I wouldn't be dicking around with trying to change music etc whilst moving anyway, so changing music etc I'd be pulling over regardless so phone will be in my pocket. Don't care about answering the phone when I'm moving.

You just got sportbikeshop a sale mate Embarassed

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting one for long trips but £50 for piece of plastic is overpriced. Want the vibration dampener too? That's another £15 Rolling Eyes

Cant say I like the idea of looking at my phone while riding either, but that's just me being personally shit at doing both and still keeping enough attention on the road. If I really cant figure out where to go from road signs I'll pull over and check google maps. I don't see why not having a phone strapped to the handlebars would stop you finding new places to ride.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:49 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pleased with quadlock, does the job well

https://i.ibb.co/s22nSDg/IMG-20210331-WA0000.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/QbkDSvX/IMG-20210331-WA0001.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Q6dxFDy/IMG-20210331-WA0002.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matelot
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:43 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Quadlock for a couple of years, although managed to get most of the bits in their black friday sales.

I like the fact the case is good quality and the mounting hole is not obtrusive. I've got mounts on my MTB, roadbike and motorbike so its easy to move between. The modular way it works is good, so added the damping mount and usb charging bit.

Downside is that without the damping mount, it kills the image stabiliser in your phones camera (iphones at least). so in hindsight i wouldnt use one without the damping mount, which makes it even more expensive!

not sure if this post is a pro quadlock or not. I like it, its expensive, it broke my phone Very Happy

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:03 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both Quadlock and Rokform and have to say Rokform is far superior in build quality, it's all metal and far more sturdy with no vibration. Neither are cheap, and I think Rokform is more than the Quadlock, but makes a nice addition to any motorcycle. Can't understand someone who pays thousands for a bike and then cheaps out on a £10 eBay special, refusing to pay £50 to £80 for a quality phone mount :-/

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:54 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Quadlock with the vibration dampener and the Wireless Charging Head connected to a USB port I installed.

Bit overkill perhaps but it means I never need to worry about the phone dying or not having access to directions if I am in need. The Quadlock I prefer because it's unintrusive, but it's true the case is bulkier than I would like.

I also have the bike mount on my road bike, that was only about 20 quid.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the quadlock setup waterproof? Doesn't look it in the photos?

I've got one of the Ultimate Addons cases and mounts. It's a solid bit of kit and more reasonably priced. Has kept my phone dry in seriously wet weather and when I crashed with it (bike sliding 30ft down the road on ice) it didn't budge. No issues in off road drops either.

I don't use the nav function on my phone often but it does come in handy from time to time, particularly if I'm looking for more out of the way places to explore.

Ditto
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:00 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Is the quadlock setup waterproof? Doesn't look it in the photos?

No it's not. You can but this little cover for the front of the phone from them but apparently it's not 100% waterproof. Also it's another £20 on top of everything else.

That said, most phones nowadays are waterproof so I don't worry too much about it with mine. I did but the vibration dampner though so I don't run into the camera issue.

One word of warning is quadlock is not budget friendly! But once you have it, it should last forever and for me it was worth it for the convenience.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're unlikely to need a 100% waterproof or even weather proof case as most of the weather will be shielded even on a naked bike it'll probably blast over the top of the phone rather than seeping into the case. And as you rightly say most phones are waterproof to about 10 metres now anyway. Can be slightly annoying when the bloody things refuse to charge because the port is damp and when the touch screen starts playing up because there's drips of water on the front but yeah generally these days I think you're fine without a whole enclosed case with a plastic window on the front. Just a sturdy outer shell type case would do. Again endorsing Rokform here, Quadlock are definitely very good but Rokform are better (and more expensive) but I just leave my phone in the Rokform case all the time even when I'm not on the bike as it's generally a very good and sturdy product.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Mine has been through snow and hours of torrential rain. Don't fancy that without a waterproof case, IP rated or not. Mine is an older phone though so don't trust that it is water tight.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:25 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most phones are water proof so doesn't matter, the "moisture detected in charging port" issue I get on my S10 would easily be solved by built in wireless charging (assuming it doesn't stop charging all together, it's not something I have tested), not sure if they do it on the motorbike mounts but they do for the car one.

I've still got a cheap generic waterproof sat nav type case I use for touring, the plastic mount will definitely break at some point so I use a lanyard too. I prefer setting up routes on my phone, then sending them to the TomTom Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1