Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Paying for new gas central heating system? Credit or crime.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Paying for new gas central heating system? Credit or crime. Reply with quote

What's a good deal for getting a new boiler on tick? Borrow the cash as a normal loan or take the boiler installers deal borrowing through them?

Whats a good price these days. My current boiler cost about £1200 thirteen years ago.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:58 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there some "warmer homes" grants out there? Worth looking into.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably shouldn't have hung up when all those boiler scrappage cold callers rang you.
It was easy to put them off here as we don't have a boiler just a wood stove.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:22 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I moved, we needed to replace stuff (probably 15 months ago) and for a really good set up, it was £1800.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Aren't there some "warmer homes" grants out there? Worth looking into.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-the-green-homes-grant-scheme

Some means test involved.

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an assessment through home energy Scotland last year but wasn't eligible for a boiler grant. I did get loft insulation out of them though which was a boon over the winter.
There's a lot of companies advertising 0% finance for their fitting but are they just rooking the market.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest finance will be through the bank.

Boiler cost 800-1200 (brand dependant for say 28KW combi)

Install cost 300 ish depending on flue arrangement etc..

Powerflush 400 quid (some installers will push this - up to you but without may void warranty)

Sundries e..g. Magnatech -100 ish.

So I reckon a range of 1200 - 2000 installed.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a good deal through british gas which surprised me to say the least.

When they quote you a price its fixed which came in handy as they found that the new boiler wouldn't work with my 15mm piping so had to install new 22mm piping from outside and through the ceiling to the boiler.

At one point I had the boiler installer, electrician and pipework guy all in at the same time.

Hate to think what a normal installer would have charged me.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
I actually got a good deal through british gas which surprised me to say the least.

When they quote you a price its fixed which came in handy as they found that the new boiler wouldn't work with my 15mm piping so had to install new 22mm piping from outside and through the ceiling to the boiler.

At one point I had the boiler installer, electrician and pipework guy all in at the same time.

Go on spill the beans - how much? Combi or system boiler? 22mm for the gas supply presumably...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fernox do a 'magnatec' style filter. I have that on the heating here.

I fitted a Magnatec on the hoose doon south.

Both work well not soodoh science they do pick up the 'free' ferrous in the system and prevent t=it settling in dead spots.

And.... Most important is to flush and then fill with an additive.
And service the additive every two years. They say 2 yrs. but......

And of course service in October/November just when you need the heat on. Very Happy

For pressure systems fernox supply an aerosol can that you connect to the rad and skoot it in.

Also..... Self Bleeding radiator vents are cool. Over time gasses will build up in the system mainly due to corrosion and chemical effects of that.
Inhibitors prevent that shit but belt and braces would be to fit self bleeding vents too.

ohhh... and erm.... TRVs Thermostatic Radiator Valves. For Pin Point temperature control which can help to reduce your bills and improve comfort. Can only be fitted to a drained system (really).

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:48 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I got my boiler serviced in my old flat, the service person would always leave his card and tell me to give him a call if I wanted to replace. Always confident they could undercut the fixed price big installers.

Also if it's replacing a combi with a newer combi, you're essentially paying for the cost of the new boiler, a day of labour, and a few sundries - filter, flushing fluid, that sort of thing. The pipework and electrics will already be in place, so any modifications will be minor.

Go on mybuilder and get some quotes. I would also pay the slight premium on getting a decent boiler. All the installers I ever spoke to preferred Vaillant.

I can also speak from recent experience that a modern clever boiler that can adjust its fuel burn, combined with a smart thermostat, provides a more comfortable home and burns significantly less gas. Might not stack up on the spreadsheet until you get to the 10 year mark, but it's a nice feeling to have a smaller gas bill.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Fernox do a 'magnatec' style filter. I have that on the heating here.

I fitted a Magnatec on the hoose doon south.

Both work well not soodoh science they do pick up the 'free' ferrous in the system and prevent t=it settling in dead spots.

And.... Most important is to flush and then fill with an additive.
And service the additive every two years. They say 2 yrs. but......

And of course service in October/November just when you need the heat on. Very Happy

For pressure systems fernox supply an aerosol can that you connect to the rad and skoot it in.

Also..... Self Bleeding radiator vents are cool. Over time gasses will build up in the system mainly due to corrosion and chemical effects of that.
Inhibitors prevent that shit but belt and braces would be to fit self bleeding vents too.

ohhh... and erm.... TRVs Thermostatic Radiator Valves. For Pin Point temperature control which can help to reduce your bills and improve comfort. Can only be fitted to a drained system (really).

I've been using some chemical from Toolstation recently - clenaser and inhibitor - good stuff ina yellow container.

TRVs athough I have a personal dislike of. Most people (women?) treat them like an instant control rather than set/forget making them pointless - they tend to seize also IME. Hateful things.

Gonna be fitting a new boiler here soon I think part of a whole new install to replace my 40+ year old single pipe system...

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for Singhpal

We had our boiler replaced about 3 years ago with a worchester bosch combi thing

That was about £1800 quid, it came with 10year warranty

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

TRVs athough I have a personal dislike of. Most people (women?) treat them like an instant control rather than set/forget making them pointless - they tend to seize also IME. Hateful things.

Wimin treat anything with a thermostatic control like an on-off switch.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A100man wrote:

Wimin treat anything with a thermostatic control like an on-off switch.

My favourite feminist Camille Paglia said, "if civilisation had been left up to women we would still be living in caves".

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

Go on spill the beans - how much? Combi or system boiler? 22mm for the gas supply presumably...

From memory it was about £1800ish for a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar and a magnatec? filter. Also included a years Home Care

I reckon it may have been a couple of hundred less for a plumber to install it but the extra piping work would have cost a lot more than that.

Last edited by panrider_uk on 00:03 - 02 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

My favourite feminist Camille Paglia said, "if civilisation had been left up to women we would still be living in caves".

They would be spotlessly clean though Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

They would be spotlessly clean though Smile

I can picture it.

You and your hommies (Fellow Sapiens from the Hood)
Have been out hunting Tetradactylies all fu'king morning.
Fought off a Sabertooth Tiger that was threatening the livestock.
Just got sat doon to watch some cave paintings before dinner.
She shouts, " Haw you.. Are you just going to leave that bloody spear dripping all over my floor or what?" Rolling Eyes

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I can picture it.

You and your hommies (Fellow Sapiens from the Hood)
Have been out hunting Tetradactylies all fu'king morning.
Fought off a Sabertooth Tiger that was threatening the livestock.
Just got sat doon to watch some cave paintings before dinner.
She shouts, " Haw you.. Are you just going to leave that bloody spear dripping all over my floor or what?" Rolling Eyes

It would be more like Mr Grunt would be out the back working on perfecting this round thing with a hole in a middle which when paired with another one via a load bearing stick shoved through the holes would revolutionise human development but she would be complaining that the burny hot stick rubbing thingy won't work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1