Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extra riding courses in/near London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Extra riding courses in/near London Reply with quote

I'm 20 and looking for cheaper insurance, I've heard passing through some extra bike training schools can take a bit off your premium. Anyone have experience of this? I'm looking for the most cost effective school I can go to. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some quotes to see just how little difference such qualifications make to the price. Razz

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAM / RoSPA may help but not a lot !
I IAM and a former Observer never seemed to save m much but the training helps avoid accidents so may save in the long run
I a member of London Advanced Motorcyclists LAM they are based in South London /North Kent / East Surrey I recommend them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Extra riding courses in/near London Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
I'm 20 and looking for cheaper insurance, I've heard passing through some extra bike training schools can take a bit off your premium. Anyone have experience of this? I'm looking for the most cost effective school I can go to. Thanks

None of these folk are training currently. COVID.

But rospa is fecking extortionate.

IAM buy a pipe and slippers for that posse. Razz

They don't ride very fast and get in the way of good progress. Very Happy

It will take years to recover the cost through premium discounts so don't use that carrot as any worthwhile incentive.
The investment is in the value added to you riding experience/safety.

But.... it will not be bad experience and will help your riding.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been part of the East London Advanced Motorcyclists (ELAM) - https://www.elam.org.uk for half dozen years. I found it helped my riding, made some good mates in the group and enjoyed the social aspect of the group too.

Sure IAM has a bit of an old fogey image, hi-vis and GS riders etc. Yes, there's a number like that, but not all. Also, I've found the London groups to be a bit more diverse: younger folk (OK, late 20's/early 30s up), a wide variety of bikes ridden, more women and less mono-cultural.

IAM should be restarting observed rides in a couple of weeks, but you may find some groups have a backlog of people waiting, so get yourself signed up asap if that's your choice.

Personally I found the IAM Surety insurance (underwritten by Cornmarket) has given me very competitive premiums for last few years, between 25-50% less than the best MCN compare results would thrown up. Plus they always give class 1 business use cover (in case you get involved as an observer). However, it'll depend on your bike, your exact location and circumstances. I've a cheapo old commuter hack, others in the group with big expensive adventure/supersports bikes living within the M25 couldn't get insurance from them. So don't bank on the insurance saving. Some other insurers may give a slight discount for being a member, but don't expect much.

I hear good things about the RoSPA training too, though these seem to be delivered purely as training with none of the social group aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arthur!

ELAM member here too, very fresh one though. The applied roadcraft approach to speed and position in the presence of hazards on road (anything that might cause you any harm, force you to react to avoid harm, or obscure anything of these two kinds) has saved my skin twice in last half year minimum.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1