Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Importing bike from Netherlands during Brexit (nightmare?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:06 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Importing bike from Netherlands during Brexit (nightmare?) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I imported a bike from the Netherlands last summer with the correct paperwork and declared it to HMRC. Unfortunately, it needed a bit of work to pass it's MOT so I couldn't proceed to register it with DVLA.

Now that Brexit has happened, am I still going to be able to register it with DVLA under the pre-31 December rules for import of European bikes once it gets an MOT (given that I did register the import date with HMRC as being summer 2020) or am I going to have deal with the enormous faff and additional costs of registering under the post-31 December rules?

I don't want to ring DVLA in case they make an unhelpful note against the bike somehow that affects my chances.

Thanks for any thoughts!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're conflating two separate arms of the government. HMRC are interested in things you import, when you imported them and how much they can make out of it any applicable duty.

Entirely separate to that is presenting an imported bike to the DVLA and saying "hey, can I get a number plate pls?" And they'll just want to know what make/model it is to get some idea of emissions (if it's a modern bike) and how old it is (where dating letters are relevant on old bikes if they're pre-VIN) to know what letter to stamp on the number plate. Yes, they'll want to know when the bike was imported just to keep a tally of vehicles entering and leaving the system but strictly speaking it's not important information.

You've already imported the bike and have all the paperwork to prove that. You could ride the bike about on private land for a few years and then decide you want to get a plate. That won't change the original import date.

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:11 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not confusing HMRC with the DVLA Smile But your answer is very helpful so thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1