Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heading to North Wales? Be careful...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Heading to North Wales? Be careful... Reply with quote

Operation Small Plates (or whatever NWP have called it), is doing its usual yearly target of small plates, loud cans etc so they have a platform to launch a fishing expedition to find anything they can. Expect them at the Horseshoe/Ponderosa, Lots of open or long stretches on the A5, especially between Betws-y-Coed and Llandudno Junction. They'll certainly be in the Ogwen and Llanberis valley's with all the parking kerfuffle happening here at the moment, so keep an eye there as well. Bullshit press release contained within article.

https://www.wrexham.com/news/operation-aimed-at-reducing-risk-of-motorcycle-related-deaths-and-serious-injuries-launches-in-wales-202582.html

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

think you`ll find that most police are operatin summit similar over the bank holiday week-end .. Yorkshire plod certainly are...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
think you`ll find that most police are operatin summit similar over the bank holiday week-end .. Yorkshire plod certainly are...

This fucker runs for 6 months. Happens every year. No doubt it'll be really heavy over Easter, but they use it as justification to pull you under "operation we miss Brunstrom" or whatever the fuck name they give it for anyone not commuting in winter. Mate got tagged for 7x5 plate last year as although the bikes a rat he knows C&U better than the plod do, and they couldn't find anything else to throw at him. What snippets he did record have them sounding very disappointed about it. Brunstrom may be gone, but NWP (Traffic) still largely hate bikes.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:19 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

“the Armed Alliance Unit”

WTF are they gonna start shooting at us!?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
still largely hate bikes.

i don`t think plod specifically hates any group of motorists .. its what is in their cross hairs on that particular day .. bikes .. cars .. HGV.. PSV.. .. as dictated by politicians or superiors.. they will hammer one and all without impunity and move around when it gets quiet to another hot spot ....

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
still largely hate bikes.

i don`t think plod specifically hates any group of motorists

NWP have a long history of targeting bikers. Us locals have zero doubt that we're heavily targeted. It's not as bad as it was, but it's still fucking silly.
Shit, even MCN saw it's mild-mannered arse ten years ago when it was really bad. Just have a read up on "MCN reclaim Wales" if you want to see how bad it was.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2009/september/sep2209-reclaim-north-wales-from-the-air/

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

NWP have a long history of targeting bikers. Us locals have zero doubt /

I've heard HGV and PSV drivers.. say the same thing..
Traffic plod target what ever moves.. week-ends bikes & tourists .. monday - friday out wit the wheel tappers for haulage/ passenger transport .. targets are to be met..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWP's own stats are that 350 out of 400 bikes stopped (In one weekend) had committed no offence at all, which was confirmed by Deputy Chief Constable Wolfendale. It's called "Enforce and Displace". They do NOT want bikes here. Which is a bit of a problem given the roads and scenery, they will absolutely have bikers flock here to ride them.

You believe whatever you want, but just be aware that bikes *are* targeted, local or otherwise, and bear that in mind if you come out this way to ride. I'd hate for anyone to find out the hard way this absolutely does happen here.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... Wales, a beautiful country spoilt only by the people Wink

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat, if you'd been stopped there or lived and ridden there you'd know better. They pull bikes over for a "chat about being safe" whilst every hot hatch heading to the evo triangle thunders past, and as one is talking to you, another grabs a legal number plate and size checks everyone there. 100 Xmas party pounds for the black rats.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Copycat, if you'd been stopped there or lived and ridden there you'd know better. They pull bikes over for a "chat about being safe" whilst every hot hatch heading to the evo triangle thunders past, and as one is talking to you, another grabs a legal number plate and size checks everyone there. 100 Xmas party pounds for the black rats.

i have been stopped in wales .. all be it in 2011 .. the plodd that stopped me did not hate me .. he was doin his job .. my contention is there is a difference between bein told what to do and doin it because you hate that particular group ..

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
NWP's own stats are that 350 out of 400 bikes stopped (In one weekend) had committed no offence at all, which was confirmed by Deputy Chief Constable Wolfendale. It's called "Enforce and Displace". They do NOT want bikes here. Which is a bit of a problem given the roads and scenery, they will absolutely have bikers flock here to ride them.

You believe whatever you want, but just be aware that bikes *are* targeted, local or otherwise, and bear that in mind if you come out this way to ride. I'd hate for anyone to find out the hard way this absolutely does happen here.

i notice you have now dropped the "hate" word to be replaced with "Enforce and Displace". and "targeted" .. this is the way the plodd have operated .. its done cold and calculating .. and that is not hate ..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
i notice you have now dropped the "hate" word to be replaced with "Enforce and Displace". and "targeted" .. this is the way the plodd have operated .. its done cold and calculating .. and that is not hate ..

You know what, I'm not arguing with you. I live here, I know how it is, if you think stopping 400 bikes in a weekend and 350 have done nothing wrong is normal and just policing, you've got a few boots left to shine.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

You know what, I'm not arguing with you. I live here, I know how it is, if you think stopping 400 bikes in a weekend and 350 have done nothing wrong is normal and just policing, you've got a few boots left to shine.

if you try to attach an emotion such as hate; as an excuse; as to why you are targeted then you have got much to learn ... its done cold and calculating..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only takes one cunt at the top to hate on bikes and the bureaucracy does the rest Neutral

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wales didn't want me to do the 20 miles to go over the boarder, so I will be boycotting the place. It may only be £250 a year, but if all the English do it then the money will soon mount up that they aren't getting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Wales didn't want me to do the 20 miles to go over the boarder, so I will be boycotting the place. It may only be £250 a year, but if all the English do it then the money will soon mount up that they aren't getting.

... if your makin a list .. you can add Scotland .. same reasoning ...

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Skudd wrote:

... if your makin a list .. you can add Scotland .. same reasoning ...

There will be a list, a fucking BIG list when all this is over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

if you try to attach an emotion such as hate; as an excuse; as to why you are targeted then you have got much to learn ... its done cold and calculating..

Yeah, of course, you know better than all us bikers that actually live here... sure thing buster... Might want to have a little read up on Richard Brunstrom, and see what a legacy he installed and left in North Wales, the man was fucking a fucking loon. The word hate is not being used in an ill advised manner.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

You know what, I'm not arguing with you....

of course your not ....

Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the case that the police are quite heavy handed with motorcyclists in Snowdonia and the Beacons, but pretty much absent from the bit between? That was always the impression I got. And that they tended to be far more in that mode on weekends?

I got busted three times in Wales, but I rode there a lot, and twice was by cameras. The officer who chased me and pulled me was a pretty nice chap, even complimented me on my riding Laughing

It doesn't surprise me that they target bikers quite often since Wales is a destination of choice for many dedicated hooligans, having such great roads. But I also do remember the nut job top copper who seemed to have a special vendetta against the two-wheeled lot. That wasn't imagination. Not surprised if a bit of that mentality has hung around since his departure.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Isn't it the case that the police are quite heavy handed with motorcyclists in Snowdonia and the Beacons, but pretty much absent from the bit between? That was always the impression I got. And that they tended to be far more in that mode on weekends?

They'll have you anywhere, but some of the best and/or most frequented roads and most stunning scenery are in Snowdonia and the Brecons.

chickenstrip wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that they target bikers quite often since Wales is a destination of choice for many dedicated hooligans, having such great roads. But I also do remember the nut job top copper who seemed to have a special vendetta against the two-wheeled lot. That wasn't imagination. Not surprised if a bit of that mentality has hung around since his departure.

Most people seem to forget how mental he was (He used pictures of a decapitated bikers body to show to Journo's as shock value for "Speeding kills!" before the family even knew he'd been decapitated*), and unless you live here, people don't realise how much of his legacy is still inplace, including the vehemently anti-bike attitude.

*Source:- https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7085806.stm

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

They'll have you anywhere, but some of the best and/or most frequented roads and most stunning scenery are in Snowdonia and the Brecons.

I might have missed something, but apart from the western end, I never found much attraction in the Brecons.

Quote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Most people seem to forget how mental he was (He used pictures of a decapitated bikers body to show to Journo's as shock value for "Speeding kills!" before the family even knew he'd been decapitated*), and unless you live here, people don't realise how much of his legacy is still inplace, including the vehemently anti-bike attitude.

*Source:- https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7085806.stm

If his plan was to put bikers off coming (which I think he actually stated at one point?) he failed miserably. Just made them a bit more wary. As you know, the country has a strong biker community - great roads served by many biker-friendly cafes at convenient points between all the riding. I think a bigger hit on the attraction might be the loss of many of those cafes due to the Covid lockdowns? That'll break down the social side of it all. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Other than that, if I was in the position to visit a lot, I still would.

A lot of us like riding fast on good roads. But they are public roads, so if we're going to do that, we have to accept the risks, including hits on the license. But if you're riding safely more-or-less within the speed limits, maybe just enjoying the scenery, there's no reason for the cops to stop you, nor should they have any right to.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I might have missed something, but apart from the western end, I never found much attraction in the Brecons.

From the turn off the A470 near Talgarth, down the A479 through the Crickhowell area, is stunning. It goes from ok sweepy A road to Nice, curvy A sweepers with the Beacons as a backdrop. Traffic can be a pig though so avoid the usual tourist dates.
chickenstrip wrote:
I think a bigger hit on the attraction might be the loss of many of those cafes due to the Covid lockdowns? That'll break down the social side of it all. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Other than that, if I was in the position to visit a lot, I still would.

It's a huge hit. We don't know how many will open back up. I suspect a few went to the wall. I would have popped into 2 or three on my jaunt past Snowdon last Saturday when Wales was allowed to play out again.
chickenstrip wrote:
A lot of us like riding fast on good roads. But they are public roads, so if we're going to do that, we have to accept the risks, including hits on the license. But if you're riding safely more-or-less within the speed limits, maybe just enjoying the scenery, there's no reason for the cops to stop you, nor should they have any right to.

I have a legal (spacing, font, border etc) 9x6 plate, BS marked can *with* baffle, 25 year old VFR, bimbling along with the flow of traffic. Not because I'm a goody two shoes, but because I know what they're like. I'm hardly a weekend warrior in a one piece on the latest GSXR, Blade, R1 etc. I haven't been tugged this year, but it's pretty much a given that it will happen given how early it is in they year. Not once have they found anything to ticket me on. And that's the issue I have. Not ticketing fuckwits overtaking on blind bends, double lines, dips etc, but pulling what they perceive as an easy target, and looking for anything they can make stick. Most people pay up because it's a gigantic PITA to fight it. It's rare you see them pull boy racers or supercars in the same area, especially around the "Evo Triangle".
The day that stands out was where you had supercars battering it everywhere (Astons, McLarens, passing us like we were stopped etc) and not one at the roadside having a chat with a copper. I lost count of the amount of bikes I saw pulled, our group was pulled twice (B4391 & A5) that day. One ticket given for incorrect border spacing on a plate. best part of 90 mins sat around while they went through the group with a fine tooth comb. Not a single speeding ticket. That was 2 years ago, so it's hardly prime "Brunstrom made us do it!" territory.
Last year I got pulled over on my way to work. Twice. At 05:30. Last stop, they waved the drooling gobbler in the Audi that was jammed up my arse, with high beams on, in a 40 that's known for coppers and "Go Safe" camera van, and proceeds to gives me a lecture on fecking safety on the roads because I'm a "Vulnerable road user"... "How about lecturing the prick behind me that was 6 inches off my rear wheel?" "You must have done something to upset him" was the reply. You can't win with that mindset.

Yes, bikes are targeted. Partly Brunstrom instilled values, partly habit, partly easy revenue stream/tickets/target I reckon. Apologies for the Wall o'text rant, it's not aimed at you, the whole situation really gets my goat.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I have a legal (spacing, font, border etc) 9x6 plate, BS marked can *with* baffle, 25 year old VFR, bimbling along with the flow of traffic. Not because I'm a goody two shoes, but because I know what they're like. I'm hardly a weekend warrior in a one piece on the latest GSXR, Blade, R1 etc. I haven't been tugged this year, but it's pretty much a given that it will happen given how early it is in they year. Not once have they found anything to ticket me on. And that's the issue I have. Not ticketing fuckwits overtaking on blind bends, double lines, dips etc, but pulling what they perceive as an easy target, and looking for anything they can make stick. Most people pay up because it's a gigantic PITA to fight it. It's rare you see them pull boy racers or supercars in the same area, especially around the "Evo Triangle".
The day that stands out was where you had supercars battering it everywhere (Astons, McLarens, passing us like we were stopped etc) and not one at the roadside having a chat with a copper. I lost count of the amount of bikes I saw pulled, our group was pulled twice (B4391 & A5) that day. One ticket given for incorrect border spacing on a plate. best part of 90 mins sat around while they went through the group with a fine tooth comb. Not a single speeding ticket. That was 2 years ago, so it's hardly prime "Brunstrom made us do it!" territory.
Last year I got pulled over on my way to work. Twice. At 05:30. Last stop, they waved the drooling gobbler in the Audi that was jammed up my arse, with high beams on, in a 40 that's known for coppers and "Go Safe" camera van, and proceeds to gives me a lecture on fecking safety on the roads because I'm a "Vulnerable road user"... "How about lecturing the prick behind me that was 6 inches off my rear wheel?" "You must have done something to upset him" was the reply. You can't win with that mindset.

Yes, bikes are targeted. Partly Brunstrom instilled values, partly habit, partly easy revenue stream/tickets/target I reckon. Apologies for the Wall o'text rant, it's not aimed at you, the whole situation really gets my goat.

This is where an effective version of something like MAG ought to be doing some work, instead of stuck up their own petty political backsides.

Tbh though, I don't see things getting any better in the near future. Police everywhere have been getting used to near authoritarian powers during this pandemic, and they'll be reluctant to give any of it up, and will anyway be forming habits along those lines. This country, and not just bikers, could be in for a very bad time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2