Heading to North Wales? Be careful...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
This is where an effective version of something like MAG ought to be doing some work, instead of stuck up their own petty political backsides.

Indeed, but liversausage is busy being a narcissistic cock. I used to be a member until I realised how it had changed from MAG of the 90's to the ineffective political bullshit machine it is now.
chickenstrip wrote:
Tbh though, I don't see things getting any better in the near future. Police everywhere have been getting used to near authoritarian powers during this pandemic, and they'll be reluctant to give any of it up, and will anyway be forming habits along those lines. This country, and not just bikers, could be in for a very bad time.

I'll start off netural. I let the coppers attitude dictate mine. I have once been stopped as a bungee had worked it's way out of my bag, or I'd packed it in a hurry, and was dangling. Copper was in a "panda" car (Fiesta?) and was concerned it may get tangled in back wheel. No questions, no fishing expedition, just "no worries, have a good day" and off he went. It's definitely an outlying experience though, but would give most people a far more positive experience of the police, and more leeway for them when doing things we're not fans of. I have never had a single good interaction with Traffic coppers at all, and that includes members of my family. Hell, even Neutral interactions are hard to find.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I have never had a single good interaction with Traffic coppers at all, and that includes members of my family. Hell, even Neutral interactions are hard to find.

That makes me think of the time I came off my bike, and first copper on the scene was a local, helpful, kind. But even he warned me, "traffic cops are on their way, careful what you say to them, they'll be angling for a nick." That was in Oxfordshire.

After talking to the traffic cops, I was whisked off in an ambulance (broken leg). A couple of weeks later, a knock on my front door. Traffic cops. First thing they said was, "you're a difficult one to get hold of aren't you..."...can't say I'd been avoiding anyone any more than usual Laughing Then they said they'd come to tell me they didn't find I'd done anything wrong that day I crashed. I thought, you made a special call to tell me that?! Feck off! Thought it, didn't say anything of course.

I wonder how much time they'd spent "investigating" the accident? Since no one else was involved, nobody else even there when I came off, and if any complaint had been made against me (by who?), I was never made aware of it.

There's definitely something wrong with traffic police mentality in this country.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Indeed, but liversausage is busy being a narcissistic cock. I used to be a member until I realised how it had changed from MAG of the 90's to the ineffective political bullshit machine it is now.

Maybe give 'em another chance?
I had some dealings with MAG recently, over issues relating to new bus lanes. The central office seemed just... offline. They didn't respond at all. Not good. But I was eventually put through to a local MAG official. While I definitely detected a slight whiff of politics, it seemed to be the right kind (i.e. an interest in and awareness of local politics). When discussing the actual problem, they seemed helpful communicative and well-informed. I might have been lucky with just a good local MAG rep. But at the end of the day, they got the job done (helped reach a satisfactory outcome), and that's what we really care about.

I should point out that I have ambled into their social events (bike events), in the past, and I was much, much less impressed with what I saw there. Now that bike meets are off the table, maybe they've finally found their focus.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Maybe give 'em another chance?

I did. Got back on bikes, and rejoined at pretty much the same time. Still got a card somewhere. Then I heard a few things, and did some reading up, on both sides.

Problem is, MAG in the 90's, the MAG I thought I was joining, successfully helped see off asinine crap such as 100BHP limits, leg protectors etc. Modern MAG couldn't even get bikes excluded from a congestion charge and Kahn used them royally in his attempt for mayor, then dropped them like a smelly turd afterwards. They're toothless at the moment, and until they get shit together, will remain so.

Just my opinion, but some really nasty, sneaky things were done that disgusted a lot of members and ex-members. I just wasn't aware of it when I rejoined, and lapsed after I was.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me reading this thread: "BCF is a hoot" Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Wait until Autumn and you get "Diesel on roundabout" threads.....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Wait until Autumn and you get "Diesel on roundabout" threads.....

Do not get me started.....

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up if you're in N.Wales today or tomorrow.

They're out in such numbers I fucked off back home after 15 miles of a 200+ ride i fancied doing. Spotted at least 7 bikes/groups pulled over. Not one car (and there's plenty of then hooning around in this weather), which says all you need to know about N.Wales plod.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Spotted at least 7 bikes/groups pulled over. .

Did you nod at them Question Angelic
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
"How about lecturing the prick behind me that was 6 inches off my rear wheel?" "You must have done something to upset him" was the reply.

You should've said yeah, I was doing something that made him really angry!

Oh yes - and what was that? asks the copper

...The speed limit

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:49 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Bodnant about 3 weeks ago, still crossing fingers that the scamera van didn’t get me.

Thanks for the heads up, will be avoiding like the plague.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the ol’ “Do you know why we stopped you?” Hoping for a confession.

Quote:
Is it a public relations exercise where you stop innocent motorists and complement them for making safe but rapid progress on the Queen’s highway?”

It usually isn’t.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Ah, the ol’ “Do you know why we stopped you?” Hoping for a confession.

Quote:
Is it a public relations exercise where you stop innocent motorists and complement them for making safe but rapid progress on the Queen’s highway?”

It usually isn’t.

Or you could reply, "because you're lonely and in need of a friend?"
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:36 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Being stopped Reply with quote

I was curious, what are your legal rights and wrongs if you are stopped and were doing nothing wrong,correct size plate and legal exhaust?
Do you have to sit there for ages ? Can you just ask why did you stop me ,do they need to give a valid reason,is "safety advice "a reason to detain you ?

Can you simply say check the reg ,its insured taxed and mot d and say right im leaving now unless your going to charge me with an offence ?
Especially if you've just been stopped already that day ?
I wonder how that woukd go down with them

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:52 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Being stopped Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:
I was curious, what are your legal rights and wrongs if you are stopped and were doing nothing wrong,correct size plate and legal exhaust?
Do you have to sit there for ages ? Can you just ask why did you stop me ,do they need to give a valid reason,is "safety advice "a reason to detain you ?

Can you simply say check the reg ,its insured taxed and mot d and say right im leaving now unless your going to charge me with an offence ?
Especially if you've just been stopped already that day ?
I wonder how that woukd go down with them

They don't need a reason to stop you. They must be in uniform and either a policeman or designate "stopping officer". Others can try to stop you but if they are not in uniform, you are not comitting an offence by not stopping.

In law, they can just stop you because they want to, they don't need a reason of any sort. They can also require you produce certain documents such as your licence and insurance (even if they already know you have them). You are not required to account for yourself as part of a traffic stop (where you've been, what you are doing). In theory there is nothing preventing them keeping you waiting, you are under no obligation to engage in conversation with them though, other than to satisfy them as to your identity (you don't even HAVE to do this, but they can detain you until they have found out).

In theory, if they start a vehicle inspection, you can legally request a deferred test under Scedule 2 of the road traffic act (look it up yourself)... Good luck with that one if you try it.

They can also search your person and your vehicle but they have to have certain grounds for doing this, have to perform certain actions as required by PACE and have to provide you with an encounter form if they do so. That doesn't mean you can refuse to be searched but it does mean if they have not followed the rules, you can make a complaint later.

If you feel their behaviour is unreasonable or they are picking on you, keep a record of the incidents, find out their badge number and the station they are based at and put in a complaint to their boss.

Arguing the toss at the side of the road is good fun, especially if you make them feel stupid (Oh you have a fireblade officer, is it the V4 model?) but unlikely to gain you anything other than a hard time and a marker against your vehicle.

EDIT: Last time I was stopped for them to give "safety advice" I told them clearly that I wasn't interested in their advice, that I was unhappy that they had stopped me for this reason and that I would like to continue with my journey because I had somewhere to be. They then turned it into a persons and document check because traffic cops are wankers, it's a requirement of the job. When I complained in wiriting, their rely was that not wanting to take advice off a traffic cop on how to ride my motorcycle is suspicious behaviour.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Being stopped Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
EDIT: Last time I was stopped for them to give "safety advice" I told them clearly that I wasn't interested in their advice, that I was unhappy that they had stopped me for this reason and that I would like to continue with my journey because I had somewhere to be. They then turned it into a persons and document check because traffic cops are wankers, it's a requirement of the job. When I complained in wiriting, their rely was that not wanting to take advice off a traffic cop on how to ride my motorcycle is suspicious behaviour.

I tend to find that if you just nod along and give them the nominal amount of requisite boot-licking to satisfy every officers unwarranted self-importance issues you're generally allowed to go on your way.

I don't argue with the police because then they'll give mark you on the PNC and every police car with ANPR from that point on will pull you over just to give you a hard time.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Being stopped Reply with quote

I tend to find that if you just nod along and give them the nominal amount of requisite boot-licking to satisfy every officers unwarranted self-importance issues you're generally allowed to go on your way.

Cop attitude. The job demands a certain personality trait (disorder?) They are like that all over the world. Cool My Scottish friend has pretty much nailed this one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2