Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spot lights: what ones are good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Spot lights: what ones are good? Reply with quote

Bike: 99 Fazer 600 MK1.

Hi,

So its inevitable that I'm going to be doing more evening / night time / early morning riding for the foreseable, and since the headlights on the 1999 Fazer 600 MK1 (box-eye) are woeful in the dark I think its time I added some spotlights on the crash bars or alike to bring the outdated headlight unit design into the modern age. The problem I'm having, however, is deciding what set are worth saving up for?

1] The cream of the crop seem to be the Denali 2.0 range, but they are rather costly.

2] The givi S310 look similar, but reviews state their high draw on the battery and the beam pattern of the standard bulb / in general is woeful (although I'd probably wire anything I buy into a accessory fuze block rather than direct to battery).

3] Then there's the market flooded chinese copies on eBay, but I'd highly question the quality of the wiring and beam pattern etc with those.

So does anyone have any direct experience of using the Denali range, or have sensible cheap recommendations that aren't woefully inadequacy £10 crap jobbies?

My expectations of whatever I get are that they need to spread light straight in front of the bike and wide; and if possible for a short distance ahead. I'd like to see more of whats immediate in front of me down low.

Thanks in advance.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ~£30-40 ebay ones on crash bars on the divvy for I think over 5 years now. The wiring is pretty thin, but if you do a nice enough job it they will survive. I put a bit of silicone over the wire into the unit just to be sure. If you make them unpluggable too, not the end of the world to swap a new set in.

I put a bit of innertube in the mount too as they will eat a lot of vibration. I just keep them fully dipped at the road to avoid any dazzle and have them spliced into sidelight with a switch on the bars. Very useful to have in the winter etc tbh.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
I just keep them fully dipped at the road to avoid any dazzle and have them spliced into sidelight with a switch on the bars. Very useful to have in the winter etc tbh.

Thanks for the response. Thumbs Up

I had most of the knowledge before making the post, but just wanted to see what everyone used.

After looking more into the Denali range I came to the conclusion that their a premium brand that know how to eek every single penny out of their customers by selling much needed "extra's" as extra's instead of including them in the package deals they do (mounts, a high power wiring harness to enable dual intensity of lights etc). Their prices may be fine for BMW owners with a bike worth multiple thousands, but for a twenty year old fazer it was a bit overkill. I don't doubt their performance, but I'm not willing to spend near £300 to experience that. Laughing

I did some hunting around and managed to get some "Puig" branded ones from XL Moto for £99. I was going to wait, but I believe that's an Easter sale price that expires tonight so ended up with some protectors and the kit for less than what the kit would cost normally.

I'm aware their probably just re-branded, but Pyramid (the website) sell them too so think I found the middle ground between tat and preimum.

Probably just wire it into the accessory fuze block I have on the bike, and with some jiggery pokery and probably upgraded fixings the job should be a good'en.

famous last words. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/JhmPbY9Z/puig.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1