Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Direct access without training?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jimbo12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:38 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Direct access without training? Reply with quote

Hi all!

New to the forum, and I have a strange one for you all!

I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 6 years of age, starting off on trials and motocross bikes, riding these from 6-16 years of age.

At age 16 i completed CBT and did a year on 50cc moped, then did a another year on an NSR125. I also learnt to drive during this year, and ended up going to university at 18, meaning I couldn’t afford to keep running a bike and car.

I’m 29 now and haven’t ridden on the road since, but actually done about 7000 miles of track riding over the past 10 years, on Yamaha R6 and GSXR600.

Therefore my question is, is it possible for me to book my module 1 and 2 tests, have my bike transported to the test centre, and sit the tests without going through a training provider?

I could do the module 1 manoeuvres with my eyes closed and know the roads around my test centre like the back of my hand.

My thoughts are, even if I was to fail mod 2 a couple of times (personally I don’t think I would), this would still save considerable time and money over a direct access course.

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible? Yes, use the .gov website.
Advisable? No. Even without the insurance issues (this will get asked about if you're not with a training school). Track riding is not anything akin to road riding.

I passed in 95 (CBT+test, no MOD1/2 or theory). Banned in 99. Retaking my test without training would have been a definite no-no, I had some bad habits to get rid of that would have been an instant fail. You may be able to ride a bike, but you probably don't know how to pass the test as it's designed. Go a local instructor, tell them what you've told us and see what they say. Hell, they'll probably be happy they don't have to teach you how to ride a bike, just how to pass the test, what examiners are looking for etc.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:01 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have insurance and a suitable bike then there would be no problem in trying.

Why not contact a local training centre and have a talk .. They charge around £30/hr, so you could have a session and use their bike for the test.

Don't forget you will need a current CBT certificate and to have passed the theory test!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your biggest issue is going to be obtaining insurance whilst not being a full licence holder, for a bike that meets the criteria of the A Licence for testing purposes.

Once you've sorted that, then you've got the issue of getting the bike there to the test centre legally - so if you don't own a van / have a mate with a full licence and insurance to ride other bikes that can pillion you there, then you've got another cost on top.

Pro Tip - there's no regulation that says you HAVE to do your CBT on a 125; if you already have a 600, you can get that to the test centre legally and do your CBT on it, too.

The other option is to hit up one of the training centres for your CBT, and just ask them outright if they'll be willing to do a hire only / minimal intervention solution for you to use their bike for the tests.

So yes, possible you could buy a suitable bike, arrive for the CBT legally and do both tests in the same manner whilst insured properly. In reality? Unlikely, I'd say. But let us know how you get on Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Pro Tip - there's no regulation that says you HAVE to do your CBT on a 125; if you already have a 600, you can get that to the test centre legally and do your CBT on it, too.

Did mine on a Hornet 600.
OP - Current test dates are going to be backlogged for a looong time, no tests being sat for the last year or so, car, bike, lorry etc. As said, you'll need to provide CBT and Theory certs before you're allowed to do the MOD1. You'll need all of those certs, (CBT, Theory, MOD1) at your MOD2.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:49 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Your biggest issue is going to be obtaining insurance whilst not being a full licence holder, for a bike that meets the criteria of the A Licence for testing purposes.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................

As the CBT has a 2 hour road ride session then surely he would have the same insurance problem taking it on a 600cc+ bike?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:13 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clan easily miss things like shoulder checks before pulling off, catching the cones of the ‘garage’ when pushing the bike, not knowing how to gauge your speed for the speed trap or get a question you suddenly go blank on.

Some coaching and pointers will really help.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
As the CBT has a 2 hour road ride session then surely he would have the same insurance problem taking it on a 600cc+ bike?

Not using the Centre's/Instructors bike he won't.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:

Absolutely - my point was that if he could find an insurance solution for provisional licence holder on a 600 then he wouldn't need to buy a 125 in addition to the 600 and insure it etc, he could just treat the CBT as another module test for all intents and purposes.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Day training ? Reply with quote

I think it may be worth doing a session at a training school
Just to go through tips for mod 1 and iron out bad habits for mod 2. My training school does four hours for £100 so if you found a school near you you could do a couple of hours tweaking mod 1 and couple of hours road riding monitored by trainer so he can give you feedback. Although this would add to cost doing the mods over and over will add up and it's not just the cost but the time and the agro of trying to keep securing test slots.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen a few of these posts .. always the same problem .. insurance.. you can not get it on a bike over 125 without a licence..

If you can prove me wrong then do so and report back .. there will be some very interested to read who and how it is to be done..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:20 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
If you can prove me wrong then do so and report back .. there will be some very interested to read who and how it is to be done..

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=331894&highlight=bikesure

Wink

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

then i await his report back Question

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:15 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=331894&highlight=bikesure

Wink

Had to cancel that policy as the whole DAS course was postponed. She's now booked in for early May to get in for the course and I've already sorted the insurance for my wife on the Monster 696. A little bit premature but at least this way with the bike actually insured I can ride it legally under my own policy which allows me to ride other bikes third party so long as the other bike is actually insured for someone else.

Hastings Direct were the only company quoting (same as last time, although this time I got in quick before they stopped quoting which is what happened last time and why I had all that agro). I think sometimes some insurers are put off if you repeatedly put in for quotes but fiddle with the variables to try to fine tune the price, I have noticed this when trying to get car insurance quotes for my kids, seems to be the more you play with the variables eventually one by one certain insurers stop coming up in the list like you've pissed them off or something.

Anyway yeah got insured with Hastings which was only about £145 for the year. I ASSUME this covers her AS A LEARNER ONLY for the whole year. Whereas the policy we put in place last time with Bikesure (and then had to cancel) was around £500 and covered her as a learner for up to 60 days and then covered her with a full licence for the rest of the year.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:46 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no issue with doing it yourself but getting the bike too and from legally and the cost of insurance tends to negate the point of doing it yourself. Often it does not cost much more to do it with a school who will teach you how to get through it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! Mr Pinky, you haven’t been around much lately?

We thought you’d forgotten us Sad

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at most threads, the views compared to replies... indicates a lot more people are actually using this forum than you'd think. Just seems most people read the threads but don't reply.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Looking at most threads, the views compared to replies... indicates a lot more people are actually using this forum than you'd think. Just seems most people read the threads but don't reply.

frankly the stupidity content makes it hard work .. unless you enjoy a bit of trollin..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1