Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Counter steering is a load of...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

NeilUK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Counter steering is a load of... Reply with quote

Ok so.... while i am having to wait a few weeks for my CBT, i decided to learn some info from youtube. One of the videos explained counter steering and how to turn left you actually momentarily turn the bars to the right! I obviously decided that was a load of cack! I've been cycling for almost 45yrs (since the age of 5) and when i want to turn left... i lean and turn the bars to the left! 100%

So today, while the sun was briefly shining, i went out for a spin on my mountain bike. About quarter of a mile from my home there is a tight downhill left-hander to the farm track where i usually go. At this point i thought "Ah right ok! i am now about to turn left!" So i initiated my left lean into the turn by..... pushing the bars to the right!!!! What!!

How have i never realised i have been doing this for all these years!! Embarassed You start a turn by counter-steering!!

Am i the only one who didn't realise he did this?? lol What a muppet!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. It wouldn't be possible to turn a bike unless that whole mechanical sequence, engaging the diameter of the wheels, was being used. If you do it unconsciously the effect is just the same as doing it consciously.

YouTube is educational on a number of different subjects, but not that much on what you need to learn for the road. Motorcycling is a huge industry, and people create personality cults and personal brands using not much more than a YouTube channel and a camera. You could get really sucked up into all that nonsense. The right amount of looseness in your shoulders, how to lean your body, etc. If you just watch such channels and never ride a bike, you'll swear blind that you'd be able to spot noob vs competent riders.

This is a YouTube and social media and popularity thing only. The guys who lecture people on such channels think they're really it. Invariably young, tall men with, sometimes, a little track or amateur competition experience. The guy you need to listen to right now is your instructor, who's probably ugly, old, fat and short.

YouTube is entertainment. Never deep dive anything about bikes on YouTube. Better to ask a real-life person. If you want to really confuse yourself, look up suspension valving.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud is almost correct, ugly and short is just his preference!

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 03:24 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably my favourite explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgUOOwnZcDU

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:49 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

At CBT level what you need to know about cornering is to look where you want to go.

It's harder than you think. You'll find youself looking at the clutch lever, the gear pedal, the traffic cones, the other people etc, etc. Look where you want to go. Anything else is over-thinking.

My other top-tip is to remember that to slow down, you roll the throttle closed. Many forget this and hilarity ensues...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
At CBT level what you need to know about cornering is to look where you want to go.

This.
There's so much to take in at CBT level. Look at the corner, the part of the road you want your bike to be on/in.

Once it all becomes second nature, after getting some miles under your belt, then you can start to think about more advanced riding, and critiquing your own riding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1