Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Waterproof gloves with a functional lining?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:17 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Waterproof gloves with a functional lining? Reply with quote

Is there such a thing?

By that I mean ones that can be both sucessfully put on with damp hands and can be removed leaving the lining where it's supposed to be when the claims to be waterproof have proven more than can be delivered?

Just destroyed my latest set of lightly used yet expensive waterproof gloves. I don't wear them often but when I do, I really need them. This time a set of BMW atlantis gore-tex rain gloves. They were doing a fine job until a fuel stop where I got my hands damp getting my wallet out. The gloves then proved nearly impossible to put back on and I landed up tearing the cuff off the gore-tex membrane trying. So those are now scrap.

So what I'm after:

1) The one real deal breaker. Can they be easily put on and removed with damp hands? If not, they are not fit for purpose. I'm thinking if there is some sort of bonded-in liner, that kind of thing.

2) They should be waterproof. Actually waterproof. I am aware this generally means gore-tex or go home. This also facilitates those damp hands standing a chance of being dry hands later on.

3) They need at least some thermal properties, not single-skin race gloves. Don't need to be arctic grade either because I do have heated grips/muffs.

4) Armour. Meh, can take it or leave it. I prefer leather on the palms but again, not a deal breaker.

5) I like a double cuff but I'm aware this severely limits choices. Long cuff anyway, one that can be fastened round the outside of a waterproof jacket.

6) I am prepared to pay real money for ones that actually work. I thought paying £150 for a set of BMW ones would do the trick but apparently not.

For reference. I actually found my perfect motorcycle glove years ago in the form of Heine Gericke Master 4 gloves. They then had the indecency to go bust before I could buy more. The neoprene storm cuff eventually degraded on them after about 6 years.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have alpine star insulated gloves.
Gortex lined.

Nice faikphur lining.

It does dislodge a little when you pull a awetted hand out.

But my habit is to pinch two finger tips and then remove my paw.

They are 99% waterproof.

My gloves only get wet when I don't tuck them into the cuffs of my jaikit. (Water running down outside of sleeve into glove.)
If it seems that the rain in 'on for the day' I'll tuck them before I set off.
If I'm already in mid-hoon then fi I can be arsed I'll stop and tuck. Depending on distance until I reach cover.

I employ an auld army trick for long rides.
I bring a spare neck protector and spare gloves. Stuffed up my jook or in the top box.
The psychological benefit of a dry 'something' when you're drookit vastly outweighs the effort of the humphing.

ps Hien Gerrike have been oot the geme for years but I still hate them for going oot the geme. Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knox Zero Outdry gloves for me, sadly not made any more but these do exactly what they should do and the liners have never come out ( even with damp / wet hands) in the 6 years i've had them ..... wish i'd bought two pairs at the time Sad

Also got a pair of Held Air n Dry Gloves that are very comfortable but not tried them out the way you want them to work. They were sold / bought as being suitable but you just never know until you try. Might be as well to go into a shop with a spray water bottle and see how you get on.

No idea where you are but Infinity have always been bob on to deal with and a sensible returns policy - maybe worth giving them a ring and see what they reccomend.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silk inner gloves might help. I’ve worn them summer and winter but I can’t actually recall whether they helped when putting outer gloves on with sweaty or wet hands. I reckon they will have though. In summer they effectively let you remove and aerate the most polluted interface between sweat pores and glove.

My solution to all over waterproofing in heavy rain has been any kind of synthetic fibre shell garment, the kind you wouldn’t wear all the time (too steamy) but which works when required. I don’t particularly rate the breathable stuff. With this in mind I bought a pair of Alpinestars waterproof over-gloves. I haven’t used them much, and initially they felt clumsy but I was getting used to them. Need to be a really nice fit over your normal gloves though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Silk inner gloves might help. I’ve worn them summer and winter but I can’t actually recall whether they helped when putting outer gloves on with sweaty or wet hands. I reckon they will have though. In summer they effectively let you remove and aerate the most polluted interface between sweat pores and glove.

My solution to all over waterproofing in heavy rain has been any kind of synthetic fibre shell garment, the kind you wouldn’t wear all the time (too steamy) but which works when required. I don’t particularly rate the breathable stuff. With this in mind I bought a pair of Alpinestars waterproof over-gloves. I haven’t used them much, and initially they felt clumsy but I was getting used to them. Need to be a really nice fit over your normal gloves though.

I only wear Gortex bike gear or Sheltex. If you don't lose the water vapour you get wet inside and then you lose heat and get cold and uncomfortably wet.
When it is pishin' doon and 98% humidity then not much will be dry.
But I never get wet clothes no matter how long I have been in the rain. Apart from the usual claggy bit where your head joins the reast of your body.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with breathable garments is (was?) they’re overlaid with something like Cordura which is robust but holds water, so it becomes heavy and cold. I might be out of date here. Perhaps modern equivalents are less absorbent? My choice based on that old experience is to don fully waterproof shells when it absolutely pours down. Admittedly there have been occasions where I have been caught out, trying to put this on in a lay-by when I’ve already got wet, or not stopping to remove the shell when the rain stops, thus arriving at my destination feeling like an Uncle Ben’s boil in the bag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:13 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the answer seems to be a resounding "dunno" and I'm going away soon, I have purchased a pair of Held overgloves which are effectively long black janitors rubber gloves.

I'll not be getting cold hands before winter, these will keep them dry and I can wear them over my comfy streetbike leather gloves if it starts pissing it down. Should pack small too.

£12.

https://www.fc-moto.de/WebRoot/FCMotoDB/Shops/10207048/565F/F4ED/003E/6EAB/F4BA/4DEB/AE42/A7E4/Held-Glove-2235_01_x_ml.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The problem with breathable garments is (was?) they’re overlaid with something like Cordura which is robust but holds water, so it becomes heavy and cold. I might be out of date here. Perhaps modern equivalents are less absorbent? My choice based on that old experience is to don fully waterproof shells when it absolutely pours down. Admittedly there have been occasions where I have been caught out, trying to put this on in a lay-by when I’ve already got wet, or not stopping to remove the shell when the rain stops, thus arriving at my destination feeling like an Uncle Ben’s boil in the bag.

Your out of date. Very Happy

There's a good schpiel on waterproof on Nikwax.

Even though the garment has a membrane the cover needs to be kept clean. The dirt works to suck in water capillary action.
Nikwax cleans and leaves an additional water repellent protection.
Very easy to do and it is effective.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, since the answer seems to be a resounding "dunno" and I'm going away soon, I have purchased a pair of Held overgloves which are effectively long black janitors rubber gloves.

I'll not be getting cold hands before winter, these will keep them dry and I can wear them over my comfy streetbike leather gloves if it starts pissing it down. Should pack small too.

£12.

https://www.fc-moto.de/WebRoot/FCMotoDB/Shops/10207048/565F/F4ED/003E/6EAB/F4BA/4DEB/AE42/A7E4/Held-Glove-2235_01_x_ml.jpg

Wut? That was my solution, only with less of the acid bath murderer vibe. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Your out of date. Very Happy

There's a good schpiel on waterproof on Nikwax.

Even though the garment has a membrane the cover needs to be kept clean. The dirt works to suck in water capillary action.
Nikwax cleans and leaves an additional water repellent protection.
Very easy to do and it is effective.

It’s not the dirt (how dare you, sir!) it’s the abrasion-resistant but absorbent outer. Nikwax might help temporarily.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:03 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It’s not the dirt (how dare you, sir!) it’s the abrasion-resistant but absorbent outer. Nikwax might help temporarily.

The dirt mate.

Same thing that makes water boil over when pulled out a microwave.
But u b u. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:23 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The dirt mate.

But u b u. Laughing

What? They form a pressurised layer of superheated liquid kept in a fluid state below a cooler surface layer which instantly vapourises when the upper layer is disturbed?

Your experience of glove wearing differs significantly from mine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

The dirt mate.

But u b u. Laughing

What? They form a pressurised layer of superheated liquid kept in a fluid state below a cooler surface layer which instantly vapourises when the upper layer is disturbed?

Your experience of glove wearing differs significantly from mine.

I was likening the action of dirt has on water/liquids.

Nucleation is the thing that pulls gas out of solution and causes super heated water to fizz or super cooled the instantly freeze if disturbed.

Dirt acts like the nucleation particle/surface irregularity in a similar way it is like a catalyst. Without the thesis on chemistry and physics part.

Anyway.. Clean outer fabrics will repel water much better than dirty fabrics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1