Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suggestions for cheapest bike purely to keep NCB alive?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:16 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Suggestions for cheapest bike purely to keep NCB alive? Reply with quote

So then, where do you go to find the cheapest of the cheap bikes, which could even just be a V5 with a frame, for the purposes of keeping no claims goings?

It doesn't have to work, it wants to be something so cheap and shit that the owner wouldn't bother advertising the bike as it would barely be worth their time.

What does BCF have to say about where to find cheap motorbike shape objects? Mr. Green

Wub

(edit: typo)

Last edited by Ste on 23:25 - 09 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your nearest Harley dealership.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:38 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit but not that shit. Razz

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumtree?

Post an ad on freegle looking for a ‘resto project’?

Newsagents window next to ‘French lessons’?

Generous BCF member?

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:04 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fb and Gumtree usually has plenty of crappy scooters with a v5

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZX6R-Main-Frame-Plate-HPI-Clear-Kawasaki-1998-1999-964/114723935421?hash=item1ab61454bd:g:0zUAAOSwXSpgS0Dy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-600-Fz6-5dm-1998-Frame-With-V5/203154762618?hash=item2f4cf7ab7a:g:c4oAAOSwX-Bfl~gS

Their two different sellers I'd trust. Click "view all listings" on their page and search "frame" to find the cheapest one via both.

You may be able to get a whole bike for cheaper, but some of those frames could probably be put in a box in a shed. Thumbs Up

Also is this entirely legal? I feel stupid for not having done this a long time ago to make the chance of owning a second bike a lot easier. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:23 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of hoping for something that's a tenth of the price of those. Razz

It can't be particularly illegal to do, can it?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I was kind of hoping for something that's a tenth of the price of those. Razz

It can't be particularly illegal to do, can it?

Squeek, squeek. Laughing

I can't help much more then, I'm afraid. Probably about as far as my source list stretches for such items.

You could try co-part, mind, but you'd probably end up paying more for delivery than that frame (and whatever hidden fee's they ask for post sale). Thumbs Up

Arry's probably the best one to answer. I always end up in the s**t the moment I do anything that's not "correct." Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your local motorcycle dismantler. He might be able to locate a frame and number plate for you. Alternately, go back to ebay and make a lowball offer. What have you got to lose?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:40 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap Chinese POS scooter or bike =< 125cc
even a spares/repair jobbie.
If it runs you could even hack about on it.

Check it aint not nicked nor nuffin though!

hows about this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-nh80-lead-vision-80cc-scooter-moped-spares-repairs-project-/1401839415

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:05 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you know this, but you can have a lapse in insurance for up to 12 months and still retain ncb. Me and wife swap yearly on car insurance to keep us both ncb'd.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:13 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Squeek, squeek. Laughing

Shush. Razz

The objective is to spend as little as possible so I bid 99p on a VFR800 frame with V5 last night and it must be shit because nobody else wanted it so I won the auction. Dance!

Once it's served its purpose it can be put in a barn because that should increase its value.

"The front fairing mount was broken and repaired badly" and "there is also a crack on the left hand side, pictured, which has been repaired".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324550573141

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:51 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not based on any facts but I reckon a 250 might be cheaper to ensure than a 125 probably less likely to be crashed.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
NJD wrote:
Squeek, squeek. Laughing

Shush. Razz

The objective is to spend as little as possible so I bid 99p on a VFR800 frame with V5 last night and it must be shit because nobody else wanted it so I won the auction. Dance!

Once it's served its purpose it can be put in a barn because that should increase its value.

"The front fairing mount was broken and repaired badly" and "there is also a crack on the left hand side, pictured, which has been repaired".

I've just offered the seller £15.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The objective is to spend as little as possible so I bid 99p on a VFR800 frame with V5 last night and it must be shit because nobody else wanted it so I won the auction.

So what's the plan now - you insure that as a fully-functioning bike? Won't be a trivial premium surely; why not a 50cc moped instead?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
So what's the plan now - you insure that as a fully-functioning bike? Won't be a trivial premium surely; why not a 50cc moped instead?

Would probably cost more to insure than a VFR800 due to 16yr olds with no road experience spazzing them into hedges.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
NJD wrote:
Squeek, squeek. Laughing

Shush. Razz

I can see the documentation for the end policy now ...

Q: Where is the vehicle kept overnight?
A: In a box under the bed

Q: Will you take pillions?
A: I won't be taking myself never mind any other bar-steward

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:35 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a plan? Laughing

The frame isn't for me, it's for someone who's going to be buying a bike later in the year and his NCB will have lapsed by then.

I've no idea what the insurance will be like compared to a 50cc. It wouldn't be surprising if ped riders cost insurance companies more than VFR800 riders do so I've no idea how cheap it will be.

Meh, the frame cost 99p so it doesn't matter what happens with it.

How much could it be sold for on eBay as a barn find frame that's ideal for using to build a cafe racer hipster thing? Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I've no idea what the insurance will be like compared to a 50cc. It wouldn't be surprising if ped riders cost insurance companies more than VFR800 riders do so I've no idea how cheap it will be.

Well according to https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/motorcycle-insurance-groups/, a VFR is Group 14 whereas a Peugeot Speedfight 3 50 is Group 1, so depending on the owner's personal circs/risk
profile it's probably worth at least him getting a quote for the VFR before committing to it...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:36 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running my details through moneysavingexpert, for me to insure a speedfighter 50cc it would cost £72 and a VFR800 would cost £79. That's with me saying less than 1,000 a year, I can't be bothered to play around seeing what increasing the annual mileage does to the price.

He's about the same age as me, postcode 'quality' shouldn't be much different to mine, he's married and changing my VFR quote to me being married makes it £2 cheaper so I reckon it's a reasonable enough comparison overall.

Meh. Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Running my details through moneysavingexpert, for me to insure a speedfighter 50cc it would cost £72 and a VFR800 would cost £79.

Well there you go, if it hadn't been for my insight you could have pissed away your mate's £7...

But yeah, interesting how little effect the bike has on the premium

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ste wrote:
Running my details through moneysavingexpert, for me to insure a speedfighter 50cc it would cost £72 and a VFR800 would cost £79.

Well there you go, if it hadn't been for my insight you could have pissed away your mate's £7...

But yeah, interesting how little effect the bike has on the premium

Premiums are based on risk. There's more risk with a 50cc ped as aforementioned spazzing into hedges is quite common with the target demographic, despite the asthmatic performance. Viffer riders tend to be at least somewhat experienced so the cost is on par or lower, despite a legitimate 150MPH ability. My 125 costs 20% more to insure than the VFR.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:11 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Something like this ? Reply with quote

Something like this ?

Tried a million times to upload image but won't work.

On Facebook sales nt 650 frame with v5 for sale £50.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
There's more risk with a 50cc ped as aforementioned spazzing into hedges is quite common with the target demographic, despite the asthmatic performance.

Yeah I get that; but you'd think (well I would, anyway) that element of the premium would be accounted for in the driver portion of the risk... I mean, surely the insurance companies have data to show that whereas a 16-year-old noob is indeed 99% likely to stack his ped within the next 12 months, a 50-year-old with 30 years' riding experience and maximum NCD riding the same machine isn't going to? But I don't run an insurance company, so.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
There's more risk with a 50cc ped as aforementioned spazzing into hedges is quite common with the target demographic, despite the asthmatic performance.

Yeah I get that; but you'd think (well I would, anyway) that element of the premium would be accounted for in the driver portion of the risk... I mean, surely the insurance companies have data to show that whereas a 16-year-old noob is indeed 99% likely to stack his ped within the next 12 months, a 50-year-old with 30 years' riding experience and maximum NCD riding the same machine isn't going to? But I don't run an insurance company, so.

'Arry would be the one to give us more detail on that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2