Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What to do with work gone wrong from engineering shop

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:11 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: What to do with work gone wrong from engineering shop Reply with quote

Hi All,

I need some advice here, I'm not really sure what to do next.

I've been working on a project Bandit 650 SAK7 that was a complete rusty mess, and it was impossible to get the exhaust bolts out - leading to multiple breakages even using heat/penetrating oil. There was a good 8-10mm left of each bolt sticking out of the head, and I assumed welding a nut on may work, but thought I would just leave this to a pro as I haven't got a welder handy to even try.

So I turned to my local-ish shop in Bristol, as I've used him many times when I lived in Bristol and he has a good rep. It's worth noting Bristol is now an hour drive away. I'm not sure if he tried removing the bolts, I'm guessing he did and they snapped off again flush (they were extremely stuck), so he drilled them out and installed some large diameter inserts.

I got the engine back late last year and got the bike rebuilt over winter and MOT booked, I went to fill up the coolant week starting 15th March (just before MOT) and two of the inserts pee out coolant - even without any pressure in the system. I have spoken to the shop quite a few times since and he has said he is making some new inserts that he will come here to fit along with sealant, as I can't get the bike to Bristol and I don't really want to pull the engine out again.

Now I'm left wondering what to do, I didn't expect him to hit the water jacket in two places drilling out these bolts (although I know things do go wrong sometimes), that's sort of why I paid him rather than doing it myself. It's worth noting that he worked on the whole engine, rather than removing the head, if that makes any difference.

It feels like I'm getting the run around. I have raised the idea of replacing the head, heck I picked up a cheap one (in apparently good condition) just in case that I can resell if needed, but he seems very against that - I'm guessing due to cost that he might have to cover?

Ugh I'm just utterly fed up and want to get my bike water tight, MOT'd, and get out on the road. I paid quite a bit for the work he did, I could have added another 100 to the price I paid initially and replaced the entire head + gaskets (incl skim + pressure test)

Last edited by mattish on 21:59 - 09 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:08 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair to say he didn't expect to hit a waterway either.

Let him fashion new studs and fit them (with sealant) - very good of him to offer to come out to you to do it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

F18 wrote:
Fair to say he didn't expect to hit a waterway either.

Let him fashion new studs and fit them (with sealant) - very good of him to offer to come out to you to do it.

It's a bit 'incompetent' for an engineer to drill into a water jacket but not uncommon.

Offer of remedy by the engineer is nice though.

Possible remedy is to remove the insert and replace with a 'blind' insert. Where the hole doesn't go all the way through so the bolt will not be in contact with coolant.

The 'sealant' to be used only to seal the mating thread between the insert and the head.

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do appreciate the offer of the engineer to come and fix it here, I could still remove the engine again if I had to - it would be easier this time (no drilling engine mounting bolts out again Laughing ). The downside would be the lost 4l of new oil, the already lost coolant etc etc.

It was already known that one insert had hit the water jacket, that one requires a shorter bolt, sadly it still leaks along with another that was not known about.
Seeing as it was known the water jacket was hit, and it was a complete engine, a coolant pressure test would have been simple (way easier than with a naked head, as there are 3 pipes vs all the different holes with the head only).

I'm also kicking myself here, seeing as it was easy I should have pressure tested it myself before reinstalling and filling the engine with fluids. I had assumed as it was known the jacket was hit that it would have been tested.... my bad.

I guess I'm just annoyed as this is now costing me while the bike is off the road, car parking at work is over a 10er a day vs free bike (although luckily only doing one day a week in the office at the moment). It's also now nearly a month to 'make the inserts' with basically no updates.

I'm also a touch worried the one that was already known to have hit the water jacket doesn't have much material left around the hole - hopefully it fixes up. I really don't want to have to pull the head off completely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattish wrote:
The downside would be the lost 4l of new oil

Drain it into a clean container and keep it?

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
mattish wrote:
The downside would be the lost 4l of new oil

Drain it into a clean container and keep it?

True, I'll have to grab a new container or two and be careful not to get crap in it. I'm just planning out how much work it would be to get the engine back out again if needed, last time was a strip right back to frame, so engine out wasn't the only job.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the head removable engine in frame? If so, that might factor into what to do next. You've already acquired a replacement head; consider using it. You have A) a used head on the bike that has been buggared up and repaired badly (which will require a second repair), and B) a used head in apparently good condition. Personally, I would rather not fit a head with oversize inserts and sealant if I had another option. You have a choice, but it will be a lot of work to replace.

If you do go with the replacement head, good practice is to check the deck for warpage, check the spark plug threads, and pressure test on the bench. If the valves need to be swapped over, check the valve face/seat contact, stem/guide clearance, and install new stem seals. Not a bad idea to carefully examine the valve springs (free length, visual damage, compression under load), retainers, and collets (keepers) for damage or wear.

Analyzing your options, it is easy to see why the Bristol shop wants to go with the inserts and sealant. Option B is a lot of work; probably more efficient if you have the skills to do it yourself.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the title of engineer is applied far too readily sometimes these days.
I know a couple of these 'people' at work who have approached me* for ideas and practical advice a few times in the past.
I tell them its all above my pay grade.

*no qualifications or recognised engineering experience whatsoever.

Last edited by recman on 19:27 - 10 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:01 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Is the head removable engine in frame?

Analyzing your options, it is easy to see why the Bristol shop wants to go with the inserts and sealant. Option B is a lot of work; probably more efficient if you have the skills to do it yourself.

I get that it's a lot of work to do right, that's why I'm questioning the path forward, I can do most bar the machining work myself. The head is luckily removable in frame, although it's not too much work to pull the lump out again really.

I picked up the used head for 3-4* cheaper than most were selling for, (30quid posted) likely due to the fact it was either badly removed or badly stored - and sadly has a few light scratches on the gasket surface. Most of the used heads were at an asking price 100+, and often had broken exhaust bolts in anyway! As such it will need at minimum a light skim, and due to the cost of the gasket (around 100quid) it would make sense to pressure test - as an un unseen crack would set me back more than the test if its broken and has to be pulled again.

I've pulled the valves from the used head and they all look good along with the guides, although I've not yet finished measuring stuff yet. There are no broken bolts in it, it seems un-warped using a straight edge and feeler gauges (the best I can test at home) and to be fair it looks in great condition vs what's on the bike - it's cleaned up nicely bar the light marks on the gasket surface.

It's a question of how far I go, do I replace the cam chain too? do I use the old cam's, or new cam's and swap the sprockets so they match the old chain if that's not replaced.

I had no chain rattle prior, although I've not seen it yet, I was debating keeping the new cam with the new head and swapping the sprockets, a chain can be done later if needed without removing the head.

Issue really is cost, head gasket is 100, rocket cover gasket is 27, skim is probably 50, pressure test around 100?, valve stem seals probably 30. The question then is how much help I would get from the engineer, either in engineering time or money, I hate having to deal with stuff gone wrong.

I'm also worried about cleaning the old gasket material from the top of the block, lots of potential for getting crap in the oil and water ways.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattish wrote:
The question then is how much help I would get from the engineer, either in engineering time or money, I hate having to deal with stuff gone wrong. I'm also worried about cleaning the old gasket material from the top of the block, lots of potential for getting crap in the oil and water ways.

You can probably write off any financial help from the engineer, considering he has offered his own solution. His method definately cheaper, but still carries some risk of repeat leak.

I've used foam earplugs to block off passage bores for cleaning; if the block deck surface is thick enough to hold an earplug, that might be an option. Careful, though; if an earplug gets punched into the water jacket, it could be a bugger to fish out of the block.

You should check with Suzuki's recommendation for maximum material that can safely be removed from the head. Remove too much and valve protrusion becomes an issue. I've seen a wannabe machinist ignore critical specification, only to have valves contact piston and f-up everything.

If the engine was running well before, you should be able to safely use the old cams, chain, and sprockets. Judge on physical condition and odometer miles. Suzuki builds pretty robust engines. I'd not consider these parts to be a weak link.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattish wrote:

Issue really is cost, head gasket is 100, rocket cover gasket is 27, skim is probably 50, pressure test around 100?, valve stem seals probably 30. The question then is how much help I would get from the engineer, either in engineering time or money, I hate having to deal with stuff gone wrong.

I'm also worried about cleaning the old gasket material from the top of the block, lots of potential for getting crap in the oil and water ways.

It's a shitter that the seemingly simple job of getting those studs out turned bad.
However from what you've said i think using the existing head and teh proposed solution by piston broke is the way to go. If it works you'll soon forget about the issues and if in future it doesn't you still have the spare head fall-back. I imagine their not too chuffed either since they've probably made no money by the end.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:05 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

It's a shitter that the seemingly simple job of getting those studs out turned bad.
However from what you've said i think using the existing head and teh proposed solution by piston broke is the way to go. If it works you'll soon forget about the issues and if in future it doesn't you still have the spare head fall-back. I imagine their not too chuffed either since they've probably made no money by the end.

I agree the situation sucks for both parties, I've been pulling things apart for long enough to know things don't always go to plan, it just sucks neither of us noticed the issue sooner. I've never had a problem with the shop, I've used him many times in the past and always been looked after. It's one of the reasons I took the drive to Bristol vs a local.

I am waiting for the replacement inserts, fingers crossed I can get it sorted and MOT'd soon. I only bought the used head already due to it being clean/low miles and a decent price, so I've got that as the backup. But then I did of course start to question just doing the head swap now - hence this post Laughing , but the consensus seems it's not worth me putting the cash in yet for the head swap.

Thanks for every ones suggestions and opinions so far.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I think the title of engineer is applied far too readily sometimes these days.
I know a couple of these 'people' at work who have approached me* for ideas and practical advice a few times in the past.
I tell them its all above my pay grade.

*no qualifications or recognised engineering experience whatsoever.

Engineer is a term applied to many disciplines though.

So one needs to be careful what is meant by engineer as all could be correctly applied.

What you may mean is, there are some good engineers and some not as good engineers but they could all be called engineers. Like Pizza. Very Happy

Murricans call train steerers Engineers. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1