Squid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:21 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Squid Reply with quote

Thought I'd share a somewhat vaguely amusing story.

So the other day I was driving in the car with my wife and youngest daughter of only 10yo and a biker on a GSXR600 came blattering past us weaving in and out of the traffic.

My daughter came out with a comment that had me in stitches. She said "he's a squid on a squid missile".

LOL

Clearly I've been watching too much Yammie Noob with her in the background!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define vaguely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart kid. Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squids gonna squid. I am really jealous that the Americans have a much bigger biker scene than us and it's more of a hobby there.

On the case of Yammie Noob, I was going to put a Yammie-Chan sticker on my bike but it would probably get my bike wrecked while it was parked in the UK.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I am really jealous that the Americans have a much bigger biker scene than us

I find myself unable to be jealous of the American bike scene. Maybe I just don't know enough about it, or have my views skewed by how it gets represented.
I mean, I know they have sports bike fans who love a good twisty mountain road as much as any European, and I know they have some huge bike meets and events. Maybe it's just that it's spread over such a vast area, doesn't have the kind of localised concentration we get on this side of the pond.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:48 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I find myself unable to be jealous of the American bike scene. Maybe I just don't know enough about it, or have my views skewed by how it gets represented.
I mean, I know they have sports bike fans who love a good twisty mountain road as much as any European, and I know they have some huge bike meets and events. Maybe it's just that it's spread over such a vast area, doesn't have the kind of localised concentration we get on this side of the pond.

Yes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very different in my experience. Very much image orientated, and there's a HD vs Everyone Else attitude prevalent through a lot of it.

That said, I'm firmly in the AWoL school of thought, I ride because I like riding, not posing in a carpark by my bike. I'm not interested in the Ace over here either for much the same reasons. A lot of summer spots you can add to that, such as the Ponderosa from today until October-ish.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

American culture is powerful, and has been a big influence over here.

This is probably something to do with the age demographic and subculturalism of people who are into (at whatever level) bikes. I'm too young to remember punk rock but I can imagine it was mostly to do with people getting the right haircut and hanging out together on a weekend. Were there ever people with glued-on hair spikes? Don't know, but I imagine so. Sort of like putting on a cap with "dreadlocks" hanging out the back, and going to the Glastonbury Festival... Is this perhaps the same as what we have and had with bikes over here? Don't know. Anyway, there is nothing scientific or properly researched in my opinion - it's just that you see a lot of oddly attired people come out of the woodwork for a couple of weeks every year.

The other thing is that it's now completely unacceptable to be average. You have to be exceptional, in whatever you do. Bikes, cars, you name it. You can't relax. You could buy an Enfield but BMW or Audi man will probably try to intimidate you every time you ride. Overtaking you dangerously, or tailgating or something to prove a point. That might be an American influence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1