Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sanity check, car related, sorry!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Sanity check, car related, sorry! Reply with quote

We have a 2003 Nissan Terrano, 2.7 diesel.
Had it for about 4 years, never had a problem with it.
Up until two days ago, after a mile of driving the temperature gauge would go up to 50%. It would doggedly remain at 50% no matter how far you travelled.

However, a couple of days ago, we took it out for a six mile round trip and the temperature gauge never got above 20%, so I decided to do a further 10 miles. Five miles in and the gauge gets to about 40%, then drops back down to 20%, by the time I’d completed the five miles back, it was up to just under 50%.
Same today, we drive eight miles and the temperature gauge is showing 20%, we stop for an hour then drive around town, three or four miles, still 20%. We head home, about 15 miles, all uphill and the temperature creeps up to just under 50% after 10 miles, dropping slightly when I lay off the go pedal, it then remains at just under 50% until we get home.

For the avoidance of doubt, the car was serviced 6 weeks ago, all fluids changed etc., etc.
The mechanic never mentioned anything about the cooling system and he normally talks for Cyprus.

I would conclude that we’ve been driving around for three plus years with a dodgy thermostat and now the thermostat has righted itself or am I, completely, missing something important.

There are no fluid leaks, the electric fan has kicked in, in the past, but only in extreme outside temperatures, 37 to 40 degrees plus.

When’s it going to explode?

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs a new thermostat by the sound of it.

My car went the same way, temperature gauge had always sat at exactly the same place when the car warmed up for over 10 years. Then one day it started wandering about, never the same two days running, sometimes it would even go to cold whilst driving down the motorway.

I bought a genuine thermostat, it bolted to a plastic housing with two small bolts. BUT I was warned if I broke the plastic housing they cost a fortune. I did the bolts up very gently.

Took about 4 minutes to change after I had drained the coolant. I ignored the proper instructions for refilling and bleeding the coolant though and just ran it with the cap open, topping up as the level dropped, as I have on previous cars. Big mistake, 3 days later it was still full of air. In the end I followed the book instructions and sorted it permanently.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I'll order a new thermostat.

BCF delivers! Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:03 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your thermostat is stuck open.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible for the thermostat to fail open, directing coolant through the radiator at all times, not regulating engine temperature. Should that be the case, it is likely you will see the failure immediately upon removal of the old 'stat. I have seen broken springs on thermostats, the springs that close the coolant flow against the action of the piston.

It is also possible, albeit less likely, that you have a wonky temperature gauge or sender, leading you to believe that engine temperature is low when in fact it is normal. You can test that theory by turning your heater on 'high' as you drive. Normal heat output suggests the gauge is inaccurate; low heat output corresponding to the low temp on the gauge suggests the thermostat is at fault.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the engine ( 2.7TD)
The thermostat looks very easily acessible.
Going off topic:
what did catch my eye was the capacitor bolted to the alternator body
presumably for electrical noise supression.
Not that I work on many cars nowadays, but aint seen one of those for years.
They used to be commonplace to stop the radio picking up the whine from the
alternator/generator

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.japeuro.co.za%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F04%2FNISSAN-TD27-2.7-TURBO-TERRANO.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 18 years of age and no fluid leaks and no problems running i would leave alone.
Ok fit a new stat providing the temp gauge is true but what will happen when the engine gets hotter after all these years ???????????

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature gauges don’t tell you the temperature of the coolant. They are “there, there, everything is OK” gauges. That is they show a constant reading right in the middle of the gauge when the temperature is within an acceptable range - makes you feel good about the car, about how rock solid it is.

When the temperature is outside the normal range, then you know there’s a problem. In this case I’d agree that the ‘stat has failed open and the coolant has failed to reach the optimal temperature range.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weasley is right the temp gauges have a huge null zone in the 'normal' operating temperature range so it'll read normal even when the temp is going up and down. It's to stop people getting paranoid from watching the guage.

As said, if it moves away from normal, especially upwards, it's time to take notice.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Temperature gauges don’t tell you the temperature of the coolant. They are “there, there, everything is OK” gauges. That is they show a constant reading right in the middle of the gauge when the temperature is within an acceptable range

You say that... The one in my car doesn't sit in the middle, it sits slightly off to one side of the middle. It does my box in Laughing

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
At 18 years of age and no fluid leaks and no problems running i would leave alone.
Ok fit a new stat providing the temp gauge is true but what will happen when the engine gets hotter after all these years ???????????

My car is 19 years old and runs at normal operating temperature. I don't have a problem because of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:40 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I suspect your thermostat is stuck open.

I agree with Nobby .

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys have become desensitized by too much reliance on Lucas electrics. Wink The temp sensor probe is immersed in coolant; of course the gauge indicates coolant temperature. Whether or not it is accurate is another point, but the gauge reading should be consistent over the life of the vehicle. If it reads abnormally high or low (inconsistent with established pattern), there is a potential fault that needs attention. Either with the engine cooling system or with the gauge.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done!

Went down, unannounced, to see my tame mechanic in Limassol, just to book it in.
However he dropped what he was doing and said pop the bonnet.
He tested the temp. sensor, which was working, got on the phone to order a new thermostat, which turned up 5 mins later.
Took the old one off, it was stuck slightly open, fitted the new one, he even replaced one of the mounting bolts that he didn't like the look of.

45 mins and it was done, he handed me the bill, 18 euros for the new thermostat, no charge for the coolant and 10 euros for labour, he then knocked 3 euros off.
All in all 25 euros and I didn't even get my hands dirty.

God knows how much teeth sucking that would have required in the UK!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he didnt say
den boreís na páreis ta antallaktiká ?

(you cant get the parts mate)

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed he did not say:"Δεν μπορώ να βρω τα ανταλλακτικά"

He did say "Θα πάρω τα ανταλλακτικά" and was as good as his word when they turned up 5 mins later.

His parting shot was "Take care" in his best Sarff Lahdan accent!

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don`t have any problems with the engine running HOTTER.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Why would he? The engine will be running at the design temperature.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:23 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

You really don't have a clue do you?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was stationary and running for at least 15 mins. while the fluid was topped up, the temperature never got above 50%.
On the 15 mile, uphill, trip home the temperature stayed at a rock solid 50%.
Back, exactly, to the way it's been running for the last few years, therefore I consider it, problem solved!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1