Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RS250 vs. 125 GP bike...Help!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tetoliti
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:49 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: RS250 vs. 125 GP bike...Help! Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm new to the forum & hoping to get some advice.

I am going to buy a track only bike that I will probably race in a year or two and I've got my choices narrowed down to 2 bikes- an RS250 or a Honda RS125. I'm hoping some people here can give me advice on the pros & cons of either choice in terms of running costs (fuel, tires for example), general maintenence schedules, & repair/replacement costs for the occasional lowside, etc.

From my research and people I've talked to, it seems the buying prices for either are pretty close (I'm budgeting about $5K for the initial purchase). I'd really like to get an idea of living with both in terms of riding fun, racing opportunities, and anything else people can think of as they've bought bikes over the years.

Thanks.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 16 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your current riding experience?

I personally would not be looking at a Honda RS125 (or any 125) for general mixed bike track use, it's way way way too much about cornering precision, and will be entirely outclassed by bigger bikes in a straight line. Maybe for a single bike or small engine class racing series, but do they do that for amateurs?

In theory I'm sure a well set up RS125 will out corner a modern superbike, but I doubt the average rider has the ability to either set up or ride it well enough to do so.

In other words it doesn't sound fun to me.

RS250? Maybe. It'll still be left for dust on the straights, but less so. Personally I'd rather a more modern 600cc sports bike for the same money - if you're thinking of racing you'll find they fit into more classes too.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably get the Rs250, parts will probably easier had, assuming thats a Aprilia anyway...
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s two classes at club level you can race these in -

BMCRC - Blue Haze

NG - TSGP

In Blue Haze you’ll get bummed by YPM guys using it as extra practice OR the occasional 250 GP bike that turns up with 80+ bhp.

In TSGP there’s plenty of GP bikes turn up and you’ll get bummed.

For a first time track bike you’d be better off with a 400 or 600 four stroke. You’ll still get bummed but you’ll have a wider choice of classes to receive said bumming, at least while you learn the ropes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OP will be racing in Poland rather than the UK. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1