Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:48 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:
Meef is just Willy waving because he thinks his quick and has owned two late model sports bikes, probably bought with mummy money.

I’ve said it before, if he’s so quick then be a Real Man and go racing.

Mega cope keyboard warrior. You're just salty that I earn your entire annual salary in a week, you jealous small-man syndrome bitch. Laughing

MarJay wrote:
If you need a 1000cc to go quick on the road, you're a lazy rider and can't use the throttle properly. If you want a rush, to get that thrashing feeling, then it has to be something less than 1000cc.

I don't need one and never said I needed one, I just find that personally a 1000cc is easier and a more fun because the power is on tap in any gear. It's also more convenient being able to stick it in rain mode when I'm commuting without worrying as to whether it's gonna catch me out. It does everything and more, and I can turn it down a notch if I don't want it to be utterly mental.

MarJay wrote:
To be honest, I have never encountered anyone who has claimed to need a 1000cc sportsbike for the road? You seem to be the only one who ever makes this kind of assertion, so maybe you're saying more about yourself than you are about others?

Again it's not about need, it's want. You don't need a 600cc super on the road either, but if I had to choose between the two, the 1000cc makes much more sense.

MarJay wrote:
I challenge you to argue why you need that extra 50bhp on the road, how it benefits you and how having 50bhp of top end over more midrange is in any way better UNLESS you're on a race track.

I don't need it. I like it and enjoy it over the lack of 50bhp on a 600cc bike. 600s don't have more midrange than 1000s so unsure what that last point about midrange is about.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:04 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

MarJay, I'm betting you break speed limits and sometimes ride like you shouldn't on the road like most of us with powerful bikes. Don't try telling me you're always Mr. Within-The-Law on a bike Laughing

By and large, yes.

I rarely go into 3 figures, let's put it that way. 20, 30, 40 limits I always obey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

My simple quick answer to ALL of this is that you're missing out. Get on track, or buy a lesser powered bike with a tonne of midrange.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:21 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Don't try telling me you're always Mr. Within-The-Law on a bike Laughing

By and large, yes.

I rarely go into 3 figures

That's what everyone says, usually shortly before getting caught doing something stupid and being banned. Razz

The most recent example I can think of is a certain womble who won himself a ban during lockdown last year. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

MarJay, I'm betting you break speed limits and sometimes ride like you shouldn't on the road like most of us with powerful bikes. Don't try telling me you're always Mr. Within-The-Law on a bike Laughing

By and large, yes.

By and large, I didn't used to see 140 on the clock of my ST. By and large, I haven't seen 160+ on any of my Fazers. By and large, I didn't see 180 on the clock of my FZR1000.

I limit myself to 99.9mph these days. By and large Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I limit myself to 99.9mph these days. By and large Laughing

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
given the speed camera proliferation from Cumbria police .. noticeable by the fact every day they advertise on Facebook as to where they are gonna be .. i aim for speed limit + 10% ..

PS. the bus service where you live is frankly shit..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and large, there aren't speed cameras in Cumbria Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't owned super sport litres or super sport 600s - but I do have a last carb'd cbr600f and a zx9r. I bought the former after the ninja, because I borrowed my mechanic's for an afternoon while he worked on the kawasaki, and i thought holy fuck, this thing is what i should've bought instead of the ninja.

So I found a local low miler and coughed up for it. However, it turned out that its weaknesses outweighed its strengths. For, although it was nimble, accurate, light and fun it had a monstrous flat spot at 5k, meaning it had to be kept at 6k+ everywhere. Not a problem as such, except that ridden like that it got thirsty, and the range sank to about 100-ish. Also, I was basically a bit big and heavy for it.

The ninja might have needed more coaxing into and through corners, and more planning generally (its brakes aren't very good at all compared to the Honda's), but it's a lot comfier and has strong power everywhere. Plus I basically just came to like it a lot.

Strictly speaking the cbr is probably the better bike on paper - but as we all know fine well, spec doesn't necessarily translate to what everything feels like once you're under way. And the ninja has, for me, the ingredient 'x'. It's a bit soft and can feel ponderous at times, but the engine is great - tractable yet lively, smooth but not lacking character, can be lugged or revved. If the chassis and cycle parts were as strong it'd be the bestest of the best!

But taking it back to the OP, I think 600s aren't for me. If I was 20 years younger, the story might be very different. But yeah.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Rant: 1000cc vs 600cc sports bikes for the road Reply with quote

Personal preference at the end of the day surely, I've owned a 1000cc sports bike and multiple smaller capacity sport bikes (zx6r b1h, zx7r, cbr600f sport) and to me I prefer under 1000cc.

My only 1000cc sports bike was a 2005 C model ZX10r, to me it was batshit mental, bought from a work mate, full akra, pc3 etc etc, dynos of 162, 167 and 168bhp at the rw.
It was drama to go A to B on it, I was not good enough to ride it well, that should be said, but as soon as you try and get on the gas you are over 100mph. I know for some that is the reason to own one, but I much preferred being able to spank my bikes a bit without going into prison speeds straight away, I prefer to build up to it! Smile
If you are very good on a bike though I imagine it would be fun to ride it very fast, especially on track.

I sold it within a year, carried on riding my zx7r for another couple years. I now prefer sports touring orientated bikes or naked bikes now.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:17 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that I can ride a Street Triple and get the feeling that I'm using some of it's performance. It feels like I'm thrashing it at least a bit. Whether that means I reach massive speed is somewhat irrelevant, but honestly? Over 90mph it's uncomfortable. That's why I bought a naked bike though. I enjoy the cornering more than I enjoy the top speed element of riding, especially on the road. I can also bimble along and not feel like I'm missing anything.

The GSX-S doesn't feel a lot quicker. However, the numbers on the speedometer say different. I have to be careful on this bike, and it's not something I enjoy.

Take the new FireBlade. It breaks the national speed limit easily in first gear as I recall. That's not fun on the road - IMO. I think all post 2010 ish 1000cc sportsbikes are like this.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been teasing, MarJay Smile
I'm no speed hero, but I do like a bit now and again.
Seriously, I probably got to my best standard of fast riding when doing a lot of miles in Wales. Those roads can really teach you a thing or two if you don't have track access. The mate I've mentioned with the FZ1 once said to me after a blast there, "we were doing 90 through some of those bends!" I'm like, you had time to check?! Laughing And anyway, who cares - we were having a great day, numbers mean little on the road* Very Happy

https://i.postimg.cc/Y2v9S67g/nick1.jpg

Speed is definitely a part of the enjoyment for me though. The sheer exhilaration, but also learning the skills to balance everything at speed with the forces working on you and the bike...well, it doesn't need explanation here does it? If so, I'm not going to make a very good job of it!
But most of the time, locally at least, I'm not going at silly speeds. But I love the sheer rush of the power of litre bikes. More to the appeal of them to me than that though, as I previously suggested.

Modern sports bikes are too much for me though, much as I'd like to be able to sample the experience.

I know Meef, I'm really not addressing your OP much, sorry!
Probably best just to say live and let live. You prefer litre sports - fine. Others prefer 600 sports - fine. Why get worked up about it? Just enjoy your riding.

*Shut up, you know what I mean! Laughing

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:28 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
My experience is that I can ride a Street Triple and get the feeling that I'm using some of it's performance. It feels like I'm thrashing it at least a bit. I enjoy the cornering more than I enjoy the top speed element of riding, especially on the road. I can also bimble along and not feel like I'm missing anything.

Take the new FireBlade. It breaks the national speed limit easily in first gear as I recall. That's not fun on the road - IMO. I think all post 2010 ish 1000cc sportsbikes are like this.

For me personally this rings true.

I've been riding 22 years and have owned 600/750 and 1000cc sports bikes as well as 600 nakeds - most fun I've ever had on a bike was a 1998 600cc Hornet - loads of fun on country B roads without having to hit mental speeds - mid range power in exactly the right places for the road - and the crappy standard suspension allowing you to get relatively close to the limits of the handling without doing outrageous speeds - riding the Hornet in London rush hour traffic was also an absolute sh*t load of fun too - could turn on a sixpence and go through all kinds of crazy gaps in the traffic. The Hornet also tops out at about 135 mph - so easily exceeds the kind of speeds most road riders spend most of their time at.

This concept of 'less is more' reminds me of a couple of 'Harry's Garage' videos I watched recently - in one video Harry (millionaire farmer with a stable of exotic cars and bikes) road tests the new BMW M3 - which is packed full of electronics, is humungously powerful and can only really be experienced in it's full glory at the Nurburgring or the Losail circuit. Harry was obviously impressed by the M3 but I didn't get the feeling he was having that much fun.

Next video Harry is road testing his gorgeous 1966 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce 1600 - this car is over 50 years old, has rudimentary suspension by todays standards, relatively skinny tires, and is massively down on power compared to the BMW - but to me Harry's grin seemed to hint that he was having a lot more fun in the Alfa - he said himself that in the Alfa the limits of the car's handling (and the driving skill required to control it) could be experienced at or around road legal speeds - the overall impression was that driving the Alfa was a much more engaging experience than the M3.

This is where I am starting to question some of my own attitudes - I'm looking at a ZX10R/R1 for my next bike - but I'm wondering if I would actually have a lot more fun on a CB500 with upgraded suspension and brakes and some decent tires?

It's the old philosophical 'what you want' v 'what you need' question - e.g. I 'want' a flashy high tech sports bike (because of ego, outrageous performance and power, the beauty and technology etc) but what I actually 'need' as a road rider is a tweaked CB500 . . .

Just my impressions gathered over the last couple fo decades - obviously it's completely different for other people and I respect that.

Last edited by droog on 07:59 - 20 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
I'm wondering if I would actually have a lot more fun on a CB500 with upgraded suspension and brakes and some decent tires?

It's the old philosophical 'what you want' v 'what you need' question - e.g. I 'want' a flashy high tech sports bike (because of ego, outrageous performance and power, the beauty and technology etc) but what I actually 'need' as a road rider is a tweaked CB500 . . .

I've thought of that too. An otherwise standard late 90s CB500 with about a budget of about £600 in suspension, plus sintered pads, plus a ported head and full performance exhaust system.

I think it's a fantastic idea, but I don't have much confidence in being able to predict the way things are going, with increasingly restrictive speed limits and Clean Air Zones being touted everywhere.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:14 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

I've thought of that too. An otherwise standard late 90s CB500 with about a budget of about £600 in suspension, plus sintered pads, plus a ported head and full performance exhaust system.

I think it's a fantastic idea, but I don't have much confidence in being able to predict the way things are going, with increasingly restrictive speed limits and Clean Air Zones being touted everywhere.

Yeah - that would make a really sweet road bike - I reckon it would be a very worthwhile project Very Happy

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's fun - like stirring the gears on a 600, the spine tingling revviness, the feeling like you're controlling the bike and eaking out the edges of performance. You can do this on the road in places on a 600. You can chuck them around like a toy, you're in control.

Then there's bum-rapey fun in prison if you try the same on a thou.

This is why you just don't, and consequentially I'll end up riding either at around abouts the same overall pace.

The litre class bikes are dominated by the engine, and you can't do 100% throttle at legal speeds. Redline in first gear is already above 70mph. The bike controls you. You know full well you can overtake anything, so you feel obliged sometimes. Other times though they're relaxing, as bimbling along at 30 is possible, and no need to drop a gear to make warp speed happen again.

I've got access to both classes of bikes, they both weigh almost the same, the RC8 has a nice power to weight ratio (similar to K6 GSXR1000), and the effortless torque means it can be Jekyll or Hyde in an instant. The brakes are awesome, and now the suspension is all fettled and the ECU is remapped, it's been transformed into a superb road bike. That's why it's been the bike I go to mainly these days, the CBR6 only gets a run out once in a blue moon, and yes, you have to wait for that initial build up of revs, but when it's in the zone it's still a great experience.

A change is as good as a rest, and I'll probably flip-flop between them until I add some sort of supermoto to the collection.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do all that on a thou, except actually thrashing it. But really, as with MarJay, I wasn't really thrashing my ST most of the time*. So what's the difference? You have to have a little more control on the thou, that's all. The bike DOES NOT control you. But then, I'm not talking about 200 ponies with mine.

*Edit: Well, I think I was trying to after I got used to it. Damn bike made me do it, officer.
There you go, a reason to have more power - you're actually less inclined to be trying to use it all the time, so much safer from spills and the law Smile
I dunno, think I'm getting confused. All I know is I felt more likely to lose my license on the Striple than on my Fazer, though the Fazer has much more outright performance.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a lazy rider.. I prefer 1000cc on the road.. On the track I like 600cc more though Razz

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just went straight to a litre bike, feel like im missing out on the 600 experience.
although i have to agree that they are a bit too fast. i wanted to feel the acceleration as i joined the motorway today, opened it up in 2nd and was at triple figures in seconds.
its great fun but i dont want to lose my licence Neutral

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:35 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest it very much depends what sort of road riding you are doing. A well thrashed 600 is probably faster on the twisties, just like they tend to hold lap records on short tracks.

Saying you aren't going that fast on the road is not a valid argument, you bought a sportsbike, you are going to wring its neck with the throttle to the stop at least some of the time. It's what they're for and it's why you bought it.

If the counter-argument is you will be quicker thrashing a litre bike other than on the twisties, well, yes, that is also true but is probably a passtime that's will be curtailed in short order if you make a habit of it.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i just went straight to a litre bike, feel like im missing out on the 600 experience.
although i have to agree that they are a bit too fast. i wanted to feel the acceleration as i joined the motorway today, opened it up in 2nd and was at triple figures in seconds.
its great fun but i dont want to lose my licence Neutral

I had 600cc bike on the road before, but I just prefer 1000cc so I don't feel like I need to rev it or down shift even.. just lazy riding experience. I don't feel the need to go into 3digit speed to be happy on 1000cc bike, I'm pretty happy below that mark to really enjoy my rides. With group riding and friends' bad influence it was often a different story.

Here is my unlisted video from last Sunday with me taking bike for a proper solo ride first time in 2 years...Just a countryside. The roads could have been better, they are nowhere near as good as the Peak District, Wales or Scotland, but I'm not complaining, I was enjoying my ride with a grin on my face Cool It's good to be back, I should have done that earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHCo9dE_OYY

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 03 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

600 revs higher and is lighter, more fun really. I would prefer a litre bike if I was doing long miles and wanted to show my penis off to other bikers.

400 is even more fun than the 600. An early nineties 250 sports bike is more fun than the 400 of the same period. I'm getting smaller but 125 is just slow Laughing

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 05 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate my R1 on the road - it's set up for track. It doesn't stop me from riding on bumpy b roads, but I find my Fazer 1000 more tolerable; lazier, softer. The R1 handles well, don't get me wrong. I just don't find it rewarding to ride legally.

Most rewarding bike I've ridden for the road is the ZXR250C. Pinning it everywhere!

Modern bikes are too capable, roads are too sketchy, traffic is not that predictable, and skills can be limited.

Better question would be "what era bike will you be referring to" - Keep it pre-euro 3 and compare the battle.

I'd have a 675 over an R1 for the roads, but being young back then, my ego of wanting to ride litre bikes at 21 got the better of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2