Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yay! Yet another poll. Can you wield a wrench?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bike maintenance?
I ride it till it dies then buy another
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
My local garage gave me a loyalty card
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
JB Weld when bits fall off is as far as I go
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I do my own oil changes and servicing
67%
 67%  [ 37 ]
Give me a TIG and I'll build you a bike!
23%
 23%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 55

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Yay! Yet another poll. Can you wield a wrench? Reply with quote

Yes, everyone loves a poll on this forum Wink but I am actually curious as to whether "biker people" are generally more competent with or willing to wield a wrench Smile

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "Shove yer stinkin poll up yer arse" option?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Yay! Yet another poll. Can you wield a wrench? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I am actually curious as to whether "biker people" are generally more competent with or willing to wield a wrench Smile

Compared to whom? The average car driver? I'd say that's a given, but not always a guarantee.

By nature of design motorbikes are not only easier to work on, but also require to be worked on a lot more. Also you generally need not very many tools to take one apart. Not entirely sure its a fair comparison between bikes v cars owners (if that's your comparison), but I suppose you get people with scarily neglectful attitudes towards mechanics in both camps (either not being able to spot faults, or not caring to get them repaired until it goes bang).

Personally wielding a wrench is a necessity. Last labour cost I paid was £80 to get two Yamaha blue-spot callipers rebuilt, and that just was labour (removed from bike, parts provided). I was happy to flog the CBF 1000 I had because it was all a bit "modern" and full of sensors, switches etc. What I get at there is modern bikes are nice, but I own an old bike because its well within my mechanical capabilities and affordability.

Everyone needs a hand every now and then, mind.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Yay! Yet another poll. Can you wield a wrench? Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Compared to whom? The average car driver? I'd say that's a given, but not always a guarantee.

Well that's the stereotype. I'm wondering whether it's a chicken vs egg situation: are ppl who like fixing things drawn to bikes or does owning a bike push you to do more yourself?

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:09 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Yay! Yet another poll. Can you wield a wrench? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Well that's the stereotype. I'm wondering whether it's a chicken vs egg situation: are ppl who like fixing things drawn to bikes or does owning a bike push you to do more yourself?

... Or a lack of disposable income in the first instance, forces you to choose bikes over cars, with the necessity to do your own maiantaininace, as the lack of disposable income hasn't changed ....

... possibly .... maybe .... that's certainly the case in my teens ........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of monies has forced me to grasp some of the basics of bike spannering.
Can/would I dare split the cases of a modern super- tecnik engine, not a chance!
Change wheels, chain, tyres, bulbs, batteries, cables, indicators, seat, not an issue
Remove a fairing, jeez! Done that, it can be a real ball-ache.
Changed clutch plates, not an issue Thumbs Up

Electrics are another world and NO!, not going to even try!.
Been there and paid the price for my fuckwittery Shocked .

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, relatively.
I have been known to accidentally break things when spannering, although that hasn't happened in quite a while. Being able to recognise the best way to predict and approach problems like old, seized bolts is probably the most useful skill. Knowing when and what to replace, another. Being able to completely strip down even a simple engine in minutes and not have to spend weeks looking at diagrams and watching YouTube videos is not within my ambit of ability, but I've seen actual.mechanics do that at great speed and with great confidence. As long as it's a hobby, it's all good fun. I don't think it's a poor man's game, as some people who aren't into bikes might think. I'll post a full itemised list of the expenses incurred on one of my projects, one day. For me, it's about having the option to choose to do a project to begin with, so I have to work within my abilities. There's a wide gulf between the guy who gets a shop to build him a cafe racer and the guy who turbos some rocket ship and builds a custom frame and then posts it in Show and Tell. Most are likely to be somewhere in between.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine internals is probably the only thing I'm not entirely confident with, that said, I've not had a go really.
Everything else seems fairly straightforward and I should probably have a go at more stuff like maybe rebuilding the shocks but I'm a lazy feck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heavily leaned towards doing my own servicing not because I'm short of money but because I can easily fuck things up for free instead of paying someone else to fuck them up!

I've been lucky with bikes so far but the tally of bits broken by ham-fisted mechanics on my old Skoda is depressing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to successfully (i.e bike was fixed and ran well) strip and rebuild a Kawasaki Z650/4 that had some severe damage to engine internals after being run without oil pressure, at age of about 15, with some repair work being done by the local engineering workshop, and a bit of guidance from the mechanic at the bike dealership I worked Saturdays for. That was my first time getting that involved. Before that, the most involved thing I'd done were PDIs. I have since stripped and rebuilt only top ends: Z1, 350YPVS and CB100N. Edit: And a full engine strip and rebuild on a Kawasaki H2/3 with gearbox problems that turned out to be unrepairable crankcase damage - thrown back together and flogged on.

For me, it comes down to having decent tools and facilities, and not being under pressure of time. I haven't been in that happy situation for a long time, and so haven't tended to do much more than basic maintenance myself. I would also be much more inclined to do it on a project bike of some kind rather than my main ride, with the risk of messing things up always there, leaving me without a bike to ride for who knows how long.

These days I suppose it's easier to find advice (online) with anything you're not sure about, whereas once it was only mates to consult, if you had any that were competent themselves, assuming a workshop manual didn't have the information you needed.

I did basic maintenance on my first car (Ford Orion 1.6), but have always taken my current one (Focus 1.8) in for servicing. Again, more a case of not really being set up at home to do it all myself, tools and stuff being so expensive, and not being much inclined to grovel about under a car on a driveway in the open, being all aches and pains anyway as I am these days.

So yeah, I'm happy to wield the spanners under the right conditions.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the servicing. Happy to do most of the lighter stuff myself, including electrics, but stuff like valve clearances I pay for. Partly cos I don't have a garage so anything I do is on the driveway when the weather is decent.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:33 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everywhere in life, there are some right fuckwittery folk about.
A quick scan elsewhere and especially in fb groups shows this to be true.

It amazes me the proud lack of knowledge and care shown by some bikers; but then again maybe they can rider better'er than me.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:58 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the bodges I've found on the teenager's Miito from previous owners are incredible, including a bolt with lots of tape around it acting as the pivot for the rear brake lever and 2 HiDs bodged into the loom. It has a pi55 poor charging system anyway and these sucked pretty much everything it generated.

My personal favourite though was the rear lights. The Mito has 2 rear brake / tail bulbs and one didn't work and on closer examination one of the twin filament bulbs had been replaced with a single filament, jammed into the bulb holder.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:02 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do everything up to bottom end rebuilds on four stroke bikes. Sometimes I choose not to and pay someone.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do everything, if I have a workshop.

I currently don't, so I stop short of starting any internal fuckery past a clutch plate change, hence farming out valve clearances on the VFR.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to work on anything I own but :-
I started work for a Dealer in 1976 foreman and Suzuki trained! Still working in the trade so it is easy for me ! having trade accounts is good Smile)

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything and everything.

But i'm lucky enough to own a garage now- and a nice and big one too, where I can fit my 18ft car + 3 bikes in. It has a pit too, which can be handy for underside car work, like taking out in-line transmissions..

There's something I loathe about doing work on the car or bike out where everybody can see me doing it- even something simple like checking the oil level.

I've yet to take a car engine apart, but have done many bikes.

For example, I change car tyres myself with irons. Then I take it around the corner to get balanced. Not for the expense, but for the satisfaction of being able to do these things myself, without machines, and without paying.

Front wheel bearings on a car (re-using the hubs), did that the other week. The garage wanted £20 to press off the old and on the new (£12.50) bearings.. No way. In that instance, it was the price. So instead I spent a few hours giving my wrist shocks with the hammer.
Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a relatively competent home mechanic but I don't work on my own bikes / cars any more - well, not unless I have to.

Two reasons:
Arrow My spine has seen better days so I don't want to waste the life it has left in it by doing things I can pay others to do and;
Arrow You can have money, or you can have time, but rarely both. I have money, but little time. I'm happier swapping money for someone else's time, and getting to ride my bikes, than I am keeping the money and having to spend time fixing them, meaning no time to ride them.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to youtube, plenty of jobs are now within my capabilities.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
I am happy to work on anything I own but :-
I started work for a Dealer in 1976 foreman and Suzuki trained! Still working in the trade so it is easy for me ! having trade accounts is good Smile)

I miss the trade accounts!
Trouble for me was, I was a parts person, so although I got work done on my bikes free of labour charges and with the trade discount on parts, since they weren't making any money from me it could be a while before they'd fit my bikes in for any work. Still, overall, since I could tackle basic servicing myself, it really helped me to finance my bike ownership.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:19 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do machining or structural welding. Can pretty much cope with most other things though.

All borne, as mentioned above, from necessity as a skint teenager. Want to get to work in the morning? Well you're going to have to stay up all night fixing that clutch then.

Hell, I've even re-wound a charging relay with wire robbed from an old TV because I needed the bike in the morning.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:53 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick browse through the workshop forum will show you that competent and willing are two different things.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes almost everything DIY, I have a garage now so it's easier but I used to happily pull stuff apart roadside or wheel the bike indoors if weather was crap. Main stuff I won't do is tubeless tyres (take loose wheels to a fitter) and any welding (don't own a welder and it looks like too much of a rabbit hole to go down). Started out for poverty reasons, when you are running £300 bikes and choosing brake pads based on costing less than a tenner, paying people is a luxury. As my bikes got faster and money less tight it's morphed more in to a trust issue. I do dumb shit on my GSXR, if the front wheel falls off and plants me in a tree I want to know that was purely my fault not some negligent apprentice. Amusingly this means I've hit the issue Arry mentions about money and time. I now have bike jobs backing up. That said some stuff I genuinely enjoy, the Enfields are easy and satisfying to work on, other stuff not so much as you often have to waste an hour+ removing plastics, etc to even get at the job.

Car has more electrical shit than an AEGIS cruiser, I take that to the house of a trusted HGV mechanic I've worked with, he knows what he is doing, has the right crap to plugin and charges me almost nothing.

I think in general "Bike People", will be more mechanically inclined than "Car People". If you buy your 1st car at 17 you pretty much just drive it and pay for an annual service. If you buy your first bike at 17 straight away you need a toolkit just for simple stuff like chain tension.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
A quick browse through the workshop forum will show you that competent and willing are two different things.

Describes me painfully well!

I have yonks of experience doing things on bikes, like ~15 years maintaining my own bikes, and an NVQ in motorcycle maintenance. I run an engineering workshop full of engineers and technicians. By every possible measure I should be competent to fix my own bike.

I still make a complete cock of it every time I touch a spanner to my bike. Seriously, I've made such a mess of some simple jobs that I honestly question if I should just sell my tools and never pick up a spanner again.

Ok, maybe not every time, I can do simple jobs fine (oil change, brake pads, air filter etc), but I have genuinely quit at doing bigger jobs. I don't know why my capabilities fall off of a cliff edge with my own bike, but I have done it enough now to have learned I'm better off paying somebody to do it in the first place than to fix my fuck up when inevitably break something expensive!

Such is life.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"wield" a "wrench"

Sick

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2