Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My idea... Better than scottoiler?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:48 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: My idea... Better than scottoiler? Reply with quote

So my bike came with a vacuum operated scottoiler to me it seems overcomplicated, annoying to fill up and stupid because if youre leaving the bike warming up its just dumping oil on the chain.

Why is it not just a valve that opens when the kickstand is flicked up? To me this seems an obvious idea but i cant see anyone who has done it... Why? I cant see any issues why this wouldn't work.
Criticism welcome.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:16 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one of the ratbike lads I know making what he referred to as a "scatoiler" using the ball valve out of a hamster drinking bottle on the basis it only released oil when it was bouncing about.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: My idea... Better than scottoiler? Reply with quote

buddy wrote:
So my bike came with a vacuum operated scottoiler to me it seems overcomplicated, annoying to fill up and stupid because if youre leaving the bike warming up its just dumping oil on the chain.

Why is it not just a valve that opens when the kickstand is flicked up? To me this seems an obvious idea but i cant see anyone who has done it... Why? I cant see any issues why this wouldn't work.
Criticism welcome.

M8, you are spozed to adjust the drip rate/time interval.
Probably 1 drip/min or 1/2/min.

https://youtu.be/UkUysldhV7g

The principle is to reduce the number of parts that can fail.

Why are you 'leaving your bike to warm up'?
Unless you are using it as a static engine to run a belt-driven wood mill.
You are wasting petrol.

Start the hoowur.
Kickstand up and Fcuk off over the horizon.

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:46 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on carbs, it runs like an old camel for the first few minutes. The main gripe is the way to fill it up. Some crap little bung thing (which is old, malformed and fucked) and a syringe.

The whole unit has to be in a certian orientation. Its just overcomplicated. My idea is much simpler, a nice little stainless valve from swagelock and a little tank with a lid.

Nobody seems to have done it though so presumably its a crap idea but I dont see why, and i dont want to waste my time if it is a crap idea.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 18 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not a problem with the scotoiler then.

Maybe not enough thought was used when it was fitted.

The bike specific guides on the scotoiler website list almost all bikes.
They have been doing this for years and every bike in their list they fitted a system to.

Maybe have a shoofti at their pages and maybe buy the parts to fix your system.
Everything last for a certain time.

I have an e-system plus the lube-tube on my S1000RR never had any issues with that.
I wipe the chain with chain cleaner at wash time and wipe again with the scotoil then the system does the rest. No phaphery.

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:03 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not denying it works, just seems overcomplicated. The question is, why not a valve thats operated by the kickstand?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy wrote:
Im not denying it works, just seems overcomplicated. The question is, why not a valve thats operated by the kickstand?

I asplained. Very Happy

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutoro oilers are not vacuum connected and work based in movement, a bit like the 'scat oiler' idea mentioned above.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutoro oilers I fitted a good few and used them easier to fill than Scottoiler but in my view a bit less good and struggle in sub-zero temperatures

Both work very well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:41 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an electrically operated scotoiler if you don't like how the vacuum one works.

To my mind, one single pipe going to the inlet to generate the vacumm to activate the valve is brilliant in it's simplicity and lack of parts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Tutoro oilers I fitted a good few and used them easier to fill than Scottoiler but in my view a bit less good and struggle in sub-zero temperatures

Both work very well

My Tutoro was 'temperamental' with temperature changes. Felt like it needed adjusting for just a relatively moderate temperature differential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on chain oilers in the end, the idea is good, the reservoirs were okay, it was the bit putting the oil on the chain I spent all my time repairing or adjusting.

It was less work to just run some oil on the inside of a running chain when I got home at night after a rainy journey. In dry weather I didn't even need to do that. I was getting as good a mileage on my chains without as with a scott oiler or one of the other makes I tried at various times.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy wrote:
Its on carbs, it runs like an old camel for the first few minutes. The main gripe is the way to fill it up. Some crap little bung thing (which is old, malformed and fucked) and a syringe.

The whole unit has to be in a certian orientation. Its just overcomplicated. My idea is much simpler, a nice little stainless valve from swagelock and a little tank with a lid.

I highly doubt that the vacuum from the scottoiler is going to cause noticeable running issues, but you could rule out an air leak on the vaccum for piece of mind: (1) push the black vaccum pipe feeding from the carb's into the Socttoiler body as much as possible to eliminate the possibility that it either wasn't fitted tight enough or have vibrated loose (it is, in my view, a bit of a poor design and hard to get in really tight), and (2) check the scottoiler website and make sure you have the right spignot fitted to your carbs (they have set-up guides for most bikes via their website).

Secondly would be to run the bike with it disconnected and compare the warm up and low running speed efficiency from cold (preferably on a different day to the above test).

Also taking some carb cleaner with you on a ride and spraying that on the rubbers that connect between the head and carbs to ensure you don't have an air leak (split rubbers, or a loose clamp).

Beyond that I'd slowly start to dig into the smaller jobs (smaller than carbs) before thinking you've got to invest in a clean or balance: idle speed, clutch adjustment etc.

In terms of the Scottoiler its best placed at an angle, but that depends on how much space you've got under the seat. You could, of course, just attach it to the frame or some part of the outside of the bike; or you could invest more money and buy a "Magnum HCR (sold via their website)" that moves the unit to fit behind the number plate (but requires drilling holes etc) for ease of install and extra capacity.

In either case it shouldn't be dumping large amount of lube out at idle, and I wouldn't really be leaving it to idle for more time than it takes to put the helmet and gloves on (normally, so long as its not majorly old?). Try adjusting it half-way and then check it after a week of riding (eventually it will dry out if set too low).

You should have one of these to fill the unit as it connects to the bottle and into the tube, but indeed it can be fiddly and some can get spilt. Not annoyingly so, though.

Scottoiler recommend that you replace the plug after removing it so perhaps its time for a new one. I do agree that even from new getting this tight is interesting.

But, aye, I'd go with your new to you bike has running issues that need ironing out. Disconnecting the Scottoiler and cable tieing to frame is the fastest way for now to see how much of an effect its having.. but again I doubt very little. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:53 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil from mine drips from the front sprocket cover and not from where the scottoiler applies the oil.

Thats because thats where it tends to collect and my scottoiler spiggot is adjusted to 1) not dump fuckloads of oil on the chain (2-3 drips minute is sufficient) and 2) placed in the correct position.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Scottoiler and never had any issues with it. I always start the bike and put my gear on while it's starting to warm up. Just make sure your feed isn't set excessively high (and adjust it based on ambient temperature and oil thickness), and it's fine.

Failing that, get the electronic model which only opens the valve when you're moving.

Kind of agree with the filler hole on it, but I always used a 3-in-1 oil can as the tip of that was perfect for filling it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:27 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, Yes, your idea would probably work if you cam fabricate an appropriate valve. As would a valve that opens when you sit on the saddle.

One thing I've seen done a few times is for someone to drill and tap the inspection "plug" on the alternator cover (the one you put a socket through to turn the crank), fit a spigot and run a hose from there to the chain. A small amount of engine oil us generally "breathed" out through this hole, enough to lube the chain. If it's too much you can put one of those screw-on hose clamps to reduce the flow. It's seldom wrong to have extra crankcase breathing anyway.

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:19 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies lads Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:04 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Loobman and Tutoro.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I wipe the chain with chain cleaner at wash time and wipe again with the scotoil then the system does the rest. No phaphery.

How often would that be?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
MCN wrote:

How often would that be?

The e-system is on my occasional bike. I pressure wash as requires. Depending on filth.
Wipe the chain and apply some scottoiler oil to a piece of rag and wipe over the chain.
That's just to help prevent it rusting if I don't ride the beast right away.
Since the scottoiler is fitted the chain is always clean.
And the e-system can be set to a very low setting.
Mines is set 60-70.
The accelerometer in the module can be set to operate at high speeds or low speeds. And there's a level gauge built into the module that knows the extra reservoir is fitted too.
I top up the extra reservoir at about 5 month intervals via the tube that leads to the pump/reservoir unit.
Just check the chain regularly as normal.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
I gave up on chain oilers in the end

Me too. Bought a shaftie. Never going back Wink

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
yen_powell wrote:
I gave up on chain oilers in the end

Me too. Bought a shaftie. Never going back Wink
So did I.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:57 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Google Loobman and Tutoro.

This.

Got sent a Tutoro oiler to review for my blog, so yeah, big disclaimer there. A pretty decent device, no vacuum connection, no electrical wiring. Activated solely through vertical motion as you bump along. So the only piping to install is from the oil reservoir to the sprocket. The only trickiness I found is the reservoir needs to be mounted fairly vertical and ambient temperature drastically changes the oil viscosity so you have to remember to keep tweaking the flow value between seasons.

Anyway, my full review and lots of pics here:
https://www.beginnerbiker.com/2020/10/tutoro-trek-auto-motorcycle-chain-oiler-review/

More disclaimer: yep I got this sent to me for nowt, but I keep my reviews honest and tell it how it is. I'm not any commission or affiliate scheme for this particular product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Scottoiler:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51128065529_d2d7bd69e5.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:33 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

That is not a Scottoiler.

And you are missing the point.

The automation of lubricating a chain removed some of the maintenance requirements.
(Though not entirely maintenance free.)

Having to lubricate a chain 'properly' is a task.
It has to be lubed every fill up of the fuel tank. 150-200 miles. More of a PIA if touring too.
Hassle if you don't have a spot to roll the bike around to clean the chain and coat with lube.

Auto oilers remove this regular hassle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2