Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bitcoin...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Bitcoin... Reply with quote

Can somebody please explain Bitcoin to me please? To my untrained eye it looks as if it’s like a share - but it’s a share based on nothing?
Apparently you ‘mine’ this stuff - how do you mine nothing, can’t you just grab a handful of air?
Please, please keep it simple, I’m after the absolute basics here first of all!
I’m not thinking of investing, I’m just curious and feel I’m missing the point!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of good videos to n YouTube that give a good explanation from the most basic to in depth explanations of cryptography. The clue is in the term cryptography. A bitcoin is essentially a set of transactions of bitcoin. Think of it like a page in a banks ledger of transactions. It has value because it's unique and cannot be faked or copied. Bitcoins are created when groups of computers agree with each other that the transactions in the ledger are true and accurate. When this happens the bcoin is added to a chain of these proven pages of transactions this is the Block Chain. These blocks can be broken up into Satoshis which is why you can buy fractions of a bitcoin. These Satoshis and whole bitcoins can be exchanged for goods and services over the net and stored in digital wallets. As a currency it's usefulness is based on it being decentralised as it is not controlled by any central bank or government treasury so you will hear the term DeFi (Decentralised Finance) in relation to crypto-currencies. Unlike conventional currencies Bitcoin cannot be artificially increased in volume so it's the darling of economists who believe money printing is wrong, so this is why you will hear bitcoin described as a threat/challenge etc to governments and the conventional banks.
There are a few other crypto currencies out there but a lot of them are what are known as Shitcoins and are riding on the back of Etherium which is another Blockchain derived coin. Some of these coins do have a practical use and therefore real world value but many are as far as I can see just creations by computer science engineers and carpet baggers trying to make a buck. Dodgecoin is a famous shitcoin it was created as a joke but then people started trading it for a laugh and now it has actually become quite valuable.

The thing to look up other than Bitcoin and Blockchain is DeFi. There's also an ongoing BCF thread in the geekzone thread.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ that would be really helpful if only you had broken it up into small bite-sized paragraphs ^^

I've been trying for YEARS to understand how it works.
I even tried once to explain it to the Number One Chaperone, and he definitely couldn't see the point of it (dinosaur one percenter Rolling Eyes )

I get the "market forces" aspect of how it might go up or down in value - as you say, similar to shares but not - but I just can't seem to get past the word "blockchain" in terms of understanding how it relates to anything tangible.

I still have my two postcard things from the Receivers of Mt fucking Gox, and the bank statement that proves I really did put money in literally 3 weeks before it went bust ( Rolling Eyes ) but I have no idea whether I can actually winkle anything out of anybody by waving it about.

Or even if it would be worth it by the time I did.
The bottom could fall out at any moment.
It just feels hinky.
Interesting. But hinky.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crypto does not equal bitcoin. For simplicity, let's look at bitcoin.

It is effectively a ledger that is updated every 10 minutes. It includes every transaction ever made on the bitcoin Blockchain. These 10 minute blocks are chained together. It is not run by a company and anyone can participate in running the network by "mining". You get a reward for doing this.

So the value, like anything, is just what someone will pay for it. People like the idea of an immutable ledger that cannot be changed by government policy or banks. If you have a bitcoin or any fraction of one, then it is yours and you can keep access to it no matter what.

If you think the current banking system is a leech on society and rampant inflation is destroying any hope of maintaining or growing your wealth, you are not alone.

That is an extremely simplified look at bitcoin and there are many aspects I have overlooked to keep it basic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin... Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Can somebody please explain Bitcoin to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pR2gfogsk4

That's a fairly good explanation without much of the technical guff.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:23 - 22 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanics of how bitcoin works is really quite easy to digest, compared to the way it will alter our economic system & the power that the banks have over that.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
The mechanics of how bitcoin works is really quite easy to digest......

I must be a simpleton then! I’m still not much wiser - how can you ‘mine’ an imaginary substance? What’s to stop me ‘mining’ a shit load and selling them?
I think I vaguely comprehend the logic of a ‘currency’ thats not tied to a government but I don’t understand much more!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
JackButler wrote:

I must be a simpleton then! I’m still not much wiser - how can you ‘mine’ an imaginary substance? What’s to stop me ‘mining’ a shit load and selling them?
I think I vaguely comprehend the logic of a ‘currency’ thats not tied to a government but I don’t understand much more!

I'm with you on this one, i kind of understand how it works, and understand it's not tied to any one country/government, but i thought that because of this it should be a much more stable currency, but it seems almost entirely the opposite and is volatile as hell

I still don't fully understand how it is actually worth anything in the first place either

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
JackButler wrote:

Most people in the Blockchain space are generally aware that miners spend computing power and are rewarded with newly created Bitcoin in exchange. This may lead people to imagine that in order for new Bitcoin to physically exist, it is somehow necessary to crunch a whole bunch of math — or that each Bitcoin somehow “represents” a certain amount of computing work.
This misunderstanding is widespread. There’s a popular tweet that read something like: “Bitcoin explained: imagine that keeping your car idling 24/7 creates solved sudokus that you can trade for heroin.”

This tweet makes the erroneous assumption that one Bitcoin equals one “solved puzzle” which thereby gives it value.
This is a mistake. A Bitcoin is just a number in a (decentralized) ledger. If a transaction in a ledger says I got paid 8 Bitcoin, and I can somehow change this number to 9, then I have 9 Bitcoin. No solved sudoku, puzzle, or artificially large prime number is needed.
So, let me repeat this in bold: the purpose of mining is not to create Bitcoin. Rather, the purpose of mining is to do what the central server would do in a centralized system –process everyone’s transactions and update the database. The newly created Bitcoin is the reward for doing this crucial task.
It’s almost like in order to manage our database in a decentralized way we have simply contracted everything out to a bunch of freelancers we are paying in Bitcoin.
Similarly, the purpose of requiring enormous amounts of computing power is to ensure miners spend a whole bunch of real-world money up-front — burning energy toward no practical end before they get their Bitcoin.
This tax is called a “proof of work” — the miner needs to prove that they have done a certain amount of computing work in order to be allowed to publish.
The miners are responsible for listening for all transactions that happen on the network and reporting them. The miners do not record transactions in the database one at a time, but rather by adding hundreds at a time in batches called “blocks.” Hence “blockchain” — the database is a growing chain of blocks.

I copied the above relevant section from:

https://medium.com/certik/how-bitcoin-works-mining-and-consensus-3d64bf893ba2

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
What’s to stop me ‘mining’ a shit load and selling them?

Surely the fact that the best hacking minds in the world cant do that, proves that a 'simpleton' like you wouldn't be able to?

The mere fact that the blockchain is so secure adds to the value of Bitcoin. All of the mining computers, also verify the blockchain. This means that if you solve the block, other miners will verify it against their own ledgers. You need over half of the network to agree with your block for it to be accepted (over simplified but correct) on the blockchain. This stops people injecting rogue transactions and inventing Bitcoin.

You couldn't even change a transaction from 5 years ago by a 1p value and have it accepted. All blocks are a ledger of all transactions. If there is a single discrepancy in a block, it will be rejected.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably an Urban Myth but bitcoin mining is supposed to use as much power as all solar panels in the world can produce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's probably an Urban Myth but bitcoin mining is supposed to use as much power as all solar panels in the world can produce.

Bitcoin power usage is reckoned to be around 110 terawatt/hour annually whereas the total power production from all of the solar panels is estimated at 844 terawatt/hour. So Bitcoin uses about 13% of that. Smile

Sauces:

https://cbeci.org/

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/solar-energy-consumption?tab=chart

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent.flhr2-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/174221351_10158889618362324_33816527138599864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=eVVG2OT-VBcAX8wTBDn&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-3.fna&oh=b7316b33400ecf1073bab76f8b634c10&oe=60A87B29

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think PoW is a massive negative of Bitcoin.

IOTA ftw!

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

IOTA ftw!

PoW?
IOTA?

Translation please for those that don’t speak crypto!

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That graph really needs to be something like cost per $billion or similar to be a proper comparison.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
The Artist wrote:

IOTA ftw!

PoW?
IOTA?

Translation please for those that don’t speak crypto!

Read the article I linked above. PoW is the way that bitcoin miners reach consensus. Proof of work is the arbitrary calculations bitcoin miners do.

IOTA is IOTA as in a very small thing. But it is a crypto project I am most interested in for a few reasons.

1. Scaleable. Most crypto is not truly scalable and the network suffers with large volumes of transaction. Iota will be able to handle a lot.

2. Feeless. Most crypto charges fees for each transaction. Iota is feeless.

It is however, not entirely decentralised yet but the testnet is running and I like the way the project is organised as a non-profit based in Germany. It is not blockchain technology and uses something else but I am not going to go into that here.

Raza
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin... Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Can somebody please explain Bitcoin to me please? To my untrained eye it looks as if it’s like a share - but it’s a share based on nothing?
point!

The main difference between a currency and Bitcoin is that a currency is backed by a Government, which affects its acceptability. As you may have experienced, in some countries foreign currencies (£ $ Euro Yen) may be more acceptable than the local currency. This is true in countries that suffer from high rates of inflation.

Someone is going to correct me and say that Bitcoin is an asset and not a currency. So just to rain on their parade, yes it is treated as an asset for tax purposes.

The stuff about mining and blockchain is just smoke-and-mirrors to hoodwink people by making them feel small and stupid.

Elon Musk recently bought $1,500,000,000 dollars worth of Bitcoin. Does this make Bitcoin more acceptable? Not to me.

Perhaps the Bank of England thinks so, as it is considering a step in that direction. You may be interested in this link:
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/research/digital-currencies

The Bank of England uses the term "digital" rather than "crypto" because it will be backed by the government.

Last edited by Raza on 20:09 - 23 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyramid scheme and all underwritten by Charles Ponzi ..

PS. plenty of cheap shirts for sale at Matalan ... incase you loose yours..

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my disbelief that you can get rich on imaginary tokens with no basis in a commodity of any kind, I had presumed “mining” was all about pooling spare computing power from multiple PCs to create supercomputer-style research.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2247149/data-center-12-cool-ways-to-donate-your-pc-s-spare-processing-power.html

I must be wrong. It’s a mad world!

Raza
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I was NOT recommending investing in any crypto-currency, crypto-asset or crypto-bally-anything.

It reminds me of tulips mania
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

and South Sea Bubble Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_Act

It was George Santayana who said, "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it."

Last edited by Raza on 21:15 - 23 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the examples you give are bull markets .. whilst there are examples of manipulation..

mine are out and out fraudulence ..

Raza
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clarifying.

I have edited my earlier comment.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raza wrote:
To clarify, I was NOT recommending investing in any crypto-currency, crypto-asset or crypto-bally-anything.

It reminds me of tulips mania
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

and South Sea Bubble Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_Act

It was George Santayana who said, "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it."

Just out of interest, how many years will the crypto market need to remain afloat before you would stop comparing crypto to tulip mania?

Also, to make it clear, I do NOT recommend investing in crypto. It is still more like speculating/gambling but every day it moves closer to investing.

Raza wrote:
The stuff about mining and blockchain is just smoke-and-mirrors to hoodwink people by making them feel small and stupid.

What a load of bollocks. If you think the Bitcoin blockchain is complicated, go and research some of the actual complex crypto projects out there.

Raza
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
What a load of bollocks.

Why are you getting so upset by this?

The opening poster described Bitcoin as "a share of nothing".
Does anyone disagree with this?

If anyone does disagree, then I would genuinely like to hear their rationale.

I did not say Bitcoin was complicated. I said that mining and Blockchain was smoke-and-mirrors. They are distractions from the fact that crypto-currencies are a share of nothing.

Comparisons between crypto-currencies with tulip mania and the South sea Bubble Act are likely to continue until they are backed by the government of a stable economy e.g. UK, US, Japan or Germany.

Why would you want to have a discussion about crypto-currencies and not make those comparisons?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3